[RE][WisCats] FIV Cat

  • alison colby
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
      Hello,
      I am 100% certain that Dane County Friends of Ferals has the perfect FIV positive cat for you! Our website is www.daneferals.org. You can look under the cats link on the front page, and look for Sheba, Mr. Beckett, Ivy, and Juliet. These are all wonderful cats that are positive for FIV. In addition, we have a big, DSH black, mellow boy named Sampson, but I do not have him entered into the database yet.
      My personal email is accolby@..., or you can email friendsofferals@....

      Alison Colby
      Director - Dane County Friends of Ferals

      Alison Colby

      Subject : [WisCats] FIV Cat

      Date : Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:38:27 -0500

      From : "MARIE GLOVER" <ilovecats@...>

      To : <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>

      Hi,

      Someone has contacted us looking for an extra large Tabby cat with FIV to be a buddy to the FIV cat they already have. Please spread the word and keep us in mind if you run across one. Thanks!

      Marie Glover

      Mayor of Tabby Town USA, Inc.

      No-Kill, Non-Profit Cat Rescue

      S1695B Stenslien Lane

      Westby, WI 54667

      (608) 634-4614 or (608) 606-1370

      Create and Share your own Video Clip Playlist in minutes at Lycos MIX (http://mix.lycos.com)
    • Jennifer Schlueter
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
        And if you want to take a trip down to Chicago, Tree House Animal Foundation also has more than 30 FIV+ cats looking for homes www.treehouseanimals.org

        And... I actually rescued a lovely FIV+ guy from my feral colony who needs a permanent home.  We named him Viejito (Little old guy) because he was so beat up when we rescued him but the Tree House veterinarian who fixed him up estimates his age at about 4 years.  He is so sweet and is so happy to be inside after several years in a rough neighborhood.  He is a handsome brown tabby and his ears fall down sideways from suffering in the elements for many seasons.  After six months of socialization work this formerly shy guy is the biggest lover-boy!  Unfortunately, our other 5 cats do not want to include him and he feels left out.  They pick on him and do not want to make room for him in their little colony. As much as he tries, they won't accept him.  I think he would do great with just one or two other mellow guys or girls to be his friend.  Let me know if you are interested in seeing pictures of Viejito (Vito for short).  He is such a great cat and clearly wants another cat friend.  \

        Thanks!

        Jenny

        Date : Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:38:27 -0500

        From : "MARIE GLOVER" <ilovecats@mwt. net>

        To : <Undisclosed- Recipient: ;>

        Hi,

        Someone has contacted us looking for an extra large Tabby cat with FIV to be a buddy to the FIV cat they already have. Please spread the word and keep us in mind if you run across one. Thanks!

        Marie Glover

        Mayor of Tabby Town USA, Inc.

        No-Kill, Non-Profit Cat Rescue

        S1695B Stenslien Lane

        Westby, WI 54667

        (608) 634-4614 or (608) 606-1370

        Create and Share your own Video Clip Playlist in minutes at Lycos MIX (http://mix.lycos. com)

        Jenny Schlueter
        Director of Development
        Tree House Animal Foundation
        773.784.5488 ext. 231

        Regular Office Hours:
        Tue - Sat, 10 - 6:30

        ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
      • MARIE GLOVER
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007

          Hi Alison,

          YOU ARE A DOLL!!!  Thanks so much for your e-mail.  I forwarded it right away to the gal looking for an FIV kitty.  It's so cool to know that the cats aren't euthanized just because they have a disease.  When we get Tabby Town built we're going to have some rooms set aside just for FIV cats.

          I'd sure like to exchange stories with you some day...I bet we have a lot in common!  Good luck with all you do!

          Purrzzz,
          Marie

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007

            Jenny, thank you so much for your reply!  I've forwarded it to Alice and I'm sure between your kitties and Dane County's they'll find their new kitty.  Bless you!

            Marie

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
              Marie

              It is really that so many FIV+ cats are euthanized simply because people
              (& TOO MANY VETS!) automatically assume FIV+ is a death sentence for any
              other cats who are around the positive one. And it simply isn't the
              case. I had a blind FIV+ kitty for 3 months last year. She'd been in a
              private shelter in NYC for 3 years & I managed to get her out & here to
              me in Wisconsin. Sadly she was diagnosed with a very fast growing
              lymphoma a month after she arrived & she died much much too soon.

              Vito in Chicago sounds as if he really needs a place where he'll be
              loved. I am rooting for him!

              Pam

            • Pet Sitting by SAS
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
                Here's a stupid question for everyone.  Is there anything you can give a FIV- cat so a FIV+ cat can live with them?

                Sara Schulz
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Not that I am aware of. The only danger to the FIV- cat is a deep bite
                  wound from the + cat. And this does not generally happen in housholds.
                  I have many friends with multicat households of FIV- & FIV+ cats. The
                  only thing my friends do is to be sure that the + kitty is well taken
                  care of to keep the immune system healthy. I had an FIV+ kitty myself
                  last year before she died of lymphoma. She wasn't here very long but she
                  was part of our 10 cat household & I never worried about any of them &
                  her. I would not hesitate to have an FIV+ kitty again.

                  Pam

                  Pet Sitting by SAS wrote:
                  > Here's a stupid question for everyone. Is there anything you can give
                  > a FIV- cat so a FIV+ cat can live with them?
                  >

                  > Sara Schulz

                • Jennifer Schlueter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 25, 2007
                    Thank you!  Keep up the good work!