municipal TNR contract

  • Victoria Becker
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      This is the scariest and most exciting thing we have ever encountered!

      Our "Cats Anoymous,Inc." TNR group has the strong possibility of becoming
      the stray cat "animal control" for the entire CITY OF GREEN BAY!

      The exciting part needs no explanation but the scary part is: our group is
      only 7 months old, we have approx 30 members, most of whom have no idea how
      to trap a cat and we would be taking on the TNR of the 700+ stray cats that
      Green Bay animal control trapped last year.

      We REALLY want to do this! But we cannot contract with the city for this
      unless we are sure we can provide the service. We especially want to save
      those 700 lives each year, who went to the humane society and were "wild"
      and unadoptable and killed.

      The issue will be discussed at the Feb 28 city council meeting so time is
      short.

      Can anyone volunteer trappers, have ideas, had any previous experience with
      large scale projects etc. Any and all help will be much appreciated! Thank
      you

      Vicki Becker
      TNR Coordinator
      Cats Anonymous,Inc
    • Sharon Bauknecht
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        I have spoken with Daphne and am willing to work with her and Roger at the
        Humane Soc. to get this "thing" in place. So I'll stay in touch. On behalf
        of the Hum. Soc. tho I do have to say all the cats brought in there thru the
        humane officer are not automatically considered wild and euthanized. Many
        are peoples ' pets that are claimed and rehomed. So I think if we're going
        to work with the Hum. Soc. and I think that's a great plus we have to be
        careful not to make them out to be such a bad place. The staff out there
        tries to work with every animal that is brought in but are not prepared to
        work with feral cats. They are as passionate about caring for animals as we
        are and what a great combination that would be for us to work together to
        save even more animals. Onward and upward! It's exciting.

      • Ebru1331@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
          elissa mike and brandon will definitely trap for this.
        • feralfelines_2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            --- In WisCats@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Bauknecht"
            <im4pawssb@...> wrote:

            > I have spoken with Daphne and am willing to work with her and
            Roger at the
            > Humane Soc. to get this "thing" in place. So I'll stay in touch.
            On behalf
            > of the Hum. Soc. tho I do have to say all the cats brought in
            there thru the
            > humane officer are not automatically considered wild and
            euthanized. Many
            > are peoples ' pets that are claimed and rehomed. So I think if
            we're going
            > to work with the Hum. Soc. and I think that's a great plus we
            have to be
            > careful not to make them out to be such a bad place. The staff
            out there
            > tries to work with every animal that is brought in but are not
            prepared to
            > work with feral cats. They are as passionate about caring for
            animals as we
            > are and what a great combination that would be for us to work
            together to
            > save even more animals. Onward and upward! It's exciting.

            I realize that not all the cats brought in by animal control are true
            strays/ferals. I was just referring to the ones who are so wild,
            can't be touched,can't even be taken out of a trap safely.
            The staff at the humane society cannot handle them and they
            should not be expected to do that. But the fate for those cats IS
            always death. But with TNR as a city policy, that never has to
            happen. I know the Bay Area Humane Society has
            dedicated,compassionate people on staff. I am sure Cats
            Anonymous can work effectively with them to do whatever it takes
            to benefit the most cats!

          • kwuerl@copper.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2006
              My name is Kitty, I have been doing cat rescue for almost 21 years
              now and I live in Milw. I am known to help many many people
              throughout Milw trap cats and then if need be I transport those
              people and the trapped cats to WHS so the cats can be
              altered,vaccinated,tested,microchipped, etc. How can I be of
              assistance? Please give me a call to let me know- if you get my
              voicemail, please leave me a message. 414-213-7059. Talk to you soon,
              Kitty in Milw.

> [...]
              >stray cats that<BR>
              >Green Bay animal control trapped last year.<BR>
              ><BR>
              >We REALLY want to do this! But we cannot contract with the city for
              >this<BR>
              >unless we are sure we can provide the service. We especially want to
              >save<BR>
              >those 700 lives each year, who went to the humane society and were
              >"wild"<BR>
              >and unadoptable and killed.<BR>
              ><BR>
              >The issue will be discussed at the Feb 28 city council meeting so
              >time is<BR>
              >short.<BR>
              ><BR>
              >Can anyone volunteer trappers, have ideas, had any previous
              >experience with<BR>
              >large scale projects etc.  Any and all help will be much
              >appreciated!  Thank<BR>
              >you<BR>
              ><BR>
              >Vicki Becker<BR>
              >TNR Coordinator<BR>
              >Cats Anonymous,Inc <BR>
              ></tt>
              >

              ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              >color:#909090;">
              > <tt>SPONSORED LINKS</tt>
              >width=500px>
              > <tt><a
              >href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Himalayan+cat+rescue&w1=Him
              >alayan+cat+rescue&w2=Animal+rescue&w3=Feral+cats&w4=Biology&c=4&s=74&
              >.sig=alhP5rTyzFPfIbMC4aZaTw">Himalayan cat rescue</a></tt>
              > <tt><a
              >href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Animal+rescue&w1=Himalayan+
              >cat+rescue&w2=Animal+rescue&w3=Feral+cats&w4=Biology&c=4&s=74&.sig=Xu
              >Ij2wXhXVdtdu0kmzSXLQ">Animal rescue</a></tt>
              > <tt><a
              >href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Feral+cats&w1=Himalayan+cat
              >+rescue&w2=Animal+rescue&w3=Feral+cats&w4=Biology&c=4&s=74&.sig=sJkOQ
              >JDgSEqJCq-_gxblyg">Feral cats</a></tt>
              > <tt><a
              >href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Biology&w1=Himalayan+cat+re
              >scue&w2=Animal+rescue&w3=Feral+cats&w4=Biology&c=4&s=74&.sig=5vLEXi0J
              >7vsSr3KRmDAFjA">Biology</a></tt>
              >
              ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
              >

              ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
              > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
              ><ul>
              > <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
              >href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WisCats">WisCats</a>" on the
              >web.<br> </tt>
              > <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an
              >email to:<br> <a
              >href="mailto:WisCats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"
              > <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              >the <a href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of
              >Service</a>.</tt>
              ></ul>
              > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

            • Marsha
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
                Here is a paper on feral cats and birds from the Wisconsin Bird
                Conservation Initiative. It is not as hostile as previous position
                papers by others (maybe they got a clue after last years furor over
                "Question 62"), but it does have links to sites with more inflammatory
                statements.

                http://www.wisconsinbirds.org/CatsBirds.htm

                Though toned down, I think the underlying reasoning is still highly
                flawed (tunnel vision). For example, I have been paying attention to
                the annual Christmas Bird Count in WI, and numbers of Eastern Bluebirds
                have INCREASED.

                One positive thing is that they acknowledge TNR efforts, and that it
                should be an area of study:

                "The level of bird predation by feral cats in managed colonies across
                varying landscapes in Wisconsin should also be studied. Nationwide, the
                animal welfare community is searching for humane and effective means of
                controlling feral cat populations, and the establishment of managed
                feral cat colonies is growing in popularity. It is not well understood
                what threat managed feral cat colonies might pose to native bird species
                across urban to rural landscapes."

                Unfortunately, there is a risk that a prejudiced person will conduct the
                study. If TNR groups do a survey, the results will be labeled as
                slanted by the anti-cat factions, and vice versa. The groups that are
                most interested in the results of such a study have a vested interest in
                the outcome supporting their view.

                Marsha