La Crosse Tribune: It's not the cats, it's the owners

  • Jessica Frohman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2005

      To submit a letter in response go to: http://www.lacrossetribune.com/tools/submit.php

      You might consider replying to this letter with a note about how while the outdoor cats are a result of irresponsible pet owners, the situation cannot be solved without acknowledging that most of the cats already out there are not suitable for homes and there is no chance for people to become suitable pet owners if there are no affordable sterilization resources available in the community.

      -Jess Frohman

      http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2005/12/25/opinion/02letters25.txt

      Sunday December 25,2005

      It’s not the cats, it’s the owners

      By WADE JOSEPH | La Crosse

      Each week we see at least one letter about the feral cat problem. With so many offering the solution of trap, neuter and release, or trap and kill. I would like to offer a different angle. How about holding the cat owners responsible?

      How many of them let “Fluffy” out at night? I am quite certain more than a few people let their cats out frequently. I cannot do this with my dogs except in the confines of my fenced-in yard. Fences won’t stop cats, so let’s not go there.

      I would like to see fines increased and cat owners held responsible. Otherwise, who is going to pay for the spay/neutering of these trapped feral cats? I know I would prefer my tax dollars be better spent. Possibly on importing a few of those huge owls from Canada , maybe then “Fluffy’s” owners would think twice.

      Sign up for ACA's Feral Power! Listserve
      http://action.alleycat.org/feralpower
      ____________________________________
      Jessica Frohman
      Community Outreach and Policy Coordinator
      Alley Cat Allies
      7920 Norfolk Ave., Suite 600
      Bethesda , MD 20814-2525
      240-482-1988