893Re: [WisCats] need feedback on feral shelters

    Dec 27, 2012
      Nikki,  blankets are not a good idea as they tend to get wet & then freeze or stay wet.

      On 12/27/2012 2:30 PM, Nikki Hronis wrote:

      Hi Stacy-I'm in Oshkosh, WI, and manage a colony of about 10 in the city limits. Since you cannot heat your shelters, insulation is key-I've had friends who insulate rubber made containers with styrofoam, and have a thicker piece on the flooring, then line with hay or old blankets. it's key for them to have a smaller "escape" hole in the back, or they won't use them. I found some "igloo" type dog houses (smallest ones) marked down at Petco awhile back, and with padding and blankets seem to suit my outside crew-I also had to cut a small hole in the back of those. They also seem to favor those "covered" if they are in a more open area, like with a tarp wighed down with rocks or logs.
      I hope this helps. Good luck with your efforts!
      Nikki Hronis
      Oshkosh, WI

      --- On Thu, 12/27/12, stacy_zacher <stacy_zacher@...> wrote:

      From: stacy_zacher <stacy_zacher@...>
      Subject: [WisCats] need feedback on feral shelters
      To: WisCats@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 1:17 PM

      Hi - does anyone have any experience with building a feral shelter/ I bought one from www.thekittytube.com for my 3 ferals I feed. I feed them on someone else's wooded lot so I don't have the liberty to heat it or put it wherever I want to locate it. I was wondering if you had any feedback on this shelter or the type you make yourself out of rubbermaid, boxes, styrofoam containers etc. I'll need to make another one because I don't think all 3 cats will fit in the one shelter and the two girls don't really hang around with the male cat. I'm crossing my fingers the skunks stay out of it, we have quite a few skunks in the area. The kitty tube comes lined with hay.

      Thanks
      Stacy

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic