845Alley Cat Allies Condemns "Disturbing" University of Nebraska Feral Cat Report

  • feralcatpower
    Dec 2, 2010

      Good afternoon, everyone. I'm sure many of you have read about the disturbing report released by the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.  I wanted to let everyone know that Alley Cat Allies has put out a press release to let people that the report has things wrong. The report—which proposes shooting feral cats as an acceptable means of control—is based on shoddy research, is scientifically unsupportable, and should be unequivocally rejected.

      The report is a summary of previous studies, some inaccurately quoted and others extrapolated to reach exaggerated conclusions. It also ignores scientific research that shows the effectiveness of Trap-Neuter-Return and ignores the fact that feral cats are protected under state anti-cruelty laws.

      "Time and again, the research shows that killing feral cats to manage the population is a cruel and useless exercise," Alley Cat Allies president Becky Robinson said in the press release. "But to go a step further and actually advocate shooting cats is outrageous and in direct opposition to our values as a society."

      Read the Press Release here.
      Read the article here.

      Thank you to everyone who is getting out there to give people the facts about TNR and feral cats!

      -Laura

      Alley Cat Allies