578Re: [WisCats] Re: Hi Everyone!

  • Laycock Designs
    Nov 4, 2009
      No laughing here! Thanks for joining and helping out politically for the sake of kitties.

      I'm not sure what I can help you with... I'm not on the Board of Kindred Kitties (my foster group) and I'm simply a foster kitty mom.

      I definitely would like to see a state-wide TNR program in Wisconsin.

      My shelter Kindred Kitties in Kenosha has a TNR program that we run ourselves. It would be great to have more support from the state and more exposure, although like I said, I'm simply a foster kitty mom and I wouldn't know where to start with that. I guess that's where you come in!

      In addition to TNR for ferel kitties, Kindred Kitties actively works with farms to help farmers reduce barn cat population. Kindred Kitties takes in surrendered barn kittens and assists the farmers with trapping barn moms, getting them spayed, giving them medicine and distemper shots at reduced cost and returning the moms to the barn owner. We find homes for the kittens.

      I don't know if any other shelter in Kenosha is doing TNR. Not sure about the local humane society here. They may or may not have a program. Ideally, all humane societies in WI should have TNR programs and it would be something to check into. There is always room for more TNR programs!!!!

      I definitely would be interested in actively helping with any organization who is coordinating an effort to outlaw declawing of cats, which is plain and simple abuse/torture of animals. It doesn't sound like this is your area of interest, but if you know of any organizations coordinating outlaw declaw for the state of WI, please let me know. I'd like to join in.

      I'm sorry I can't be of more help since I'm really just a foster mom for homeless kitties and I don't get involved in the organization beyond that.

      The President of Kindred Kitties is Carolyn Newton. You could contact her - perhaps she can help you understand the needs for the Southeastern WI area more than I can. She's the founder of Kindred Kitties and has been doing this since 1995. Our website is www.kindredkitties.org

      :)
      My Blog Banner Service: http://laycockdesigns.com
      Michelle - Southeastern WI - Luckycatstampers
      =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=
      "They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod

      On Nov 4, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Kathy Pobloskie wrote:

      Well, don't laugh, but I actually don't have any cats. I have two dogs, a Jack Russell terrier and a Rat terrier. So why would I want to join the Wisconsin Cats yahoo group?
      Well,I'll try to make it brief. I'm the new Team Leader for Wisconsin for Best Friends Animal Society. We are working towards a time when there are No More Homeless Pets and as I am sure you know the animal most commonly euthanized in shelters is cats. I'd like to get your ideas and input to start to coordinate some efforts to reduce these numbers.
      I've been working with a citizen's lobby group to support passage of the puppy mill bill and hopefully it will pass in the Senate tomorrow. It may even be unanimous as it was in the Assembly last week. We did all of our work through a yahoo group.
      I'd like your ideas on which areas of the state need attention and perhaps support for a TNR program.
      The reason I asked about Beloit is because I'm going to an Animal Control meeting in Rockford Illinois on November 19 supporting a group that is trying to get Winnebago County to consider a TNR program.
      I live in North Prairie, Wisconsin.
      So, please, let me know your ideas and problems and let's see if we can come up with some solutions for the cats of Wisconsin.

      Kathy Pobloskie

      --- In WisCats@yahoogroups .com, "Kathy Pobloskie" <kathypobloskie@ ...> wrote:

      > I'm new to this group and was wondering if there is anyone that is from the Beloit area?
      > Kathy Pobloskie

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic