Decoder recommendations please

  • George Pavlisko
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
      I have the following that I want to add decoders to. I am looking for
      the plain jane decoder for these.
      (1) Big Boy in red box (think this is the one on the website but
      chicken to blow anything up)
      (2) Y6b from the early 1970's
      (3) Cab Forward form the 1970's
      (4) Berkshire red box
      (5) 0-8-0 red box
      (6) 2 truck heisler red box
      (7) Hudson red box
      (8) Heavy Pacific from the 1970's
      They are all NEW and NEVER RUN engines.
      I have other brands but would like to do these first
      Thank you.
      This group has saved me money and time and so has the website.
    • Doug Stuard
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
        lots of info needed..

        What manufacturer?
        What scale?
        Tender pickup or drivers (both sides)?
        Front and rear lights or front only?
        Do you want firebox flicker (lighting effect)?
        Is there room in the cab or boiler, or just in the tender?
        Sound?
        BEMF??
        Is the motor electrically isolated from the frame? If not, how
        difficult would that be to do?

        I would take each one as a separate project and choose the decoder
        that meets your needs. Likely no decoder plug, so it will have to be
        a wired unit.

        Digitrax, Lenz, TCS, NCE all make good ones. Perhaps you already
        have a favorite.

        Doug Stuard

        --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, "George Pavlisko" <lrprat2@...>
        wrote:

        > I have the following that I want to add decoders to. I am looking
        for
        > the plain jane decoder for these.
        > (1) Big Boy in red box (think this is the one on the website but
        > chicken to blow anything up)
        > (2) Y6b from the early 1970's
        > (3) Cab Forward form the 1970's
        > (4) Berkshire red box
        > (5) 0-8-0 red box
        > (6) 2 truck heisler red box
        > (7) Hudson red box
        > (8) Heavy Pacific from the 1970's
        > They are all NEW and NEVER RUN engines.
        > I have other brands but would like to do these first
        > Thank you.
        > This group has saved me money and time and so has the website.

      • wirefordcc
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
          It is actually pretty easy to figure out what decoder will fit in your
          locomotive. It just isn't possible for us to make suggestions to you
          based on your descriptions. I used to try to keep up with decoders on
          my website, but with new decoders coming out on the market, it was a
          lost cause.

          Try calling people who sell decoders. They get asked questions like
          yours all the time. They may know. See my website at:

          http://www.wiringfordcc.com/locos.htm#a14

          But really, selecting a decoder is easy.

          1. Open up your locomotive and look around. Locos like the Y6b are
          likely to have plenty of space. If not in the locomotive itself, then
          the tender. You can never go wrong with the tender.

          2. Measure the space you have to work with. If you are going to put
          your decoder in a tender, you can probably skip this step unless the
          tender is for an 0-4-0 or something.

          3. Go to your favorite manufacturer's website and check out their
          dimensions for their decoders. If you don't want to measure your
          locomotive's stall current, then picking a 1.5A decoder is probably
          safe.

          4. You said you just wanted a basic decoder. So maybe price is most
          important to you. Still, I suggest you do the following. For
          everyone else reading this post, you should perform this step. That
          is, check the features of the decoder. Find the cheapest (if that is
          what is important to you) decoder that has the features you want. For
          example, even if you want a inexpensive decoder, you may want long
          addressing. So look for that feature.

          5. If your favorite manufacturer doesn't have a decoder that will
          fit, look at someone else's website.

          So while it is virtually impossible for us to recommend a decoder to
          you, figuring out what you need yourself isn't pretty easy.
        • wirefordcc
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
            Great, I have a typo in my last line. A Freudian slip perhaps? :-)

            It should say that picking your own decoder IS pretty easy. Really!
            10-15 minutes tops!

            --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, "wirefordcc"

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
              Also see my website at: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/intro2dcc.htm#a21