Re: [WiringForDCC] Re: Switch Deal!

  • Blair & Rasa
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 1, 2012
      Go to Mouser.com, search for "toggle switch cap", filter on mfr. "NKK",
      and "in stock", you should get 30-odd hits, most of which are what you
      are looking for.
      Blair

      On 01/01/2012 12:48 AM, Paul O wrote:
      > Bernie, they're called "the little plastic, colored caps". J
      >

      > Check the links below:
      >

      > http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/9254
      >

      > http://www.sptpanel.com/switch_cap_covers.htm
      >

      > Happy New Year, Paul O

    • Carl
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 2, 2012
        Hi Gang:

        This looks like a handy circuit board:

        http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18931

        The price is sure right!

        Good luck, Carl.

      • aaronmorley@y7mail.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
          That doesn't make sense.

          'Unit price $2.49'

          'Special pricing - buy 6 for $100.00 each'

          ?????

          I am confused.

          Aaron.
          Australia

          --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gang:
          >
          > This looks like a handy circuit board:
          >
          > http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18931
          >
          > The price is sure right!
          >
          > Good luck, Carl.

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
            These look pretty "industrial." Think they would accept 20-24 awg wires?

            RicZ

            --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:

            > Hi Gang:
            >
            > This looks like a handy circuit board:
            >
            > http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18931
            >
            > The price is sure right!
            >
            > Good luck, Carl.

          • puckdropper
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
              It does, except when you add more than 5 to the cart. Then the price goes up to $100 each for some reason!

              Puckdropper

              --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:

              > Hi Gang:
              >
              > This looks like a handy circuit board:
              >
              > http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18931
              >
              > The price is sure right!
              >
              > Good luck, Carl.

            • shbouchey
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
                I think it is supposed to be 6 for $10. Worth it to check.
                It does, except when you add more than 5 to the cart. Then the price goes up to $100 each for some reason!

                Puckdropper

                --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:

                > Hi Gang:
                >
                > This looks like a handy circuit board:
                >
                > http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18931
                >
                > The price is sure right!
                >
                > Good luck, Carl.

              • Carl
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
                  Hi Guys:

                  $100 each is their way of limiting sales to one person. If you want 10
                  just order twice. It does say limit 5 units.

                  Carl.
                  On 7/3/2012 12:32 PM, shbouchey wrote:

                  > I think it is supposed to be 6 for $10. Worth it to check.
                  >
                  > It does, except when you add more than 5 to the cart. Then the price
                  > goes up to $100 each for some reason!
                  >
                  > Puckdropper
                  >

                  > > Hi Gang:
                  > >
                  > > This looks like a handy circuit board:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18931
                  > >
                  > > The price is sure right!
                  > >
                  > > Good luck, Carl.

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
                    The description sounds pretty "industrial" talking about 2-14 AWG wire. Do you think they can handle 20-24 AWG wire for my tortoise machines? Or would the connection be too loose?

                    RicZ

                  • dvollrath@magnetek.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
                      Nope. Those terminals are made for larger gage wire. Don't forget the cost of those automotive style plug-in fuses!
                      DonV
                      --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ezrails@...> wrote:

                      > The description sounds pretty "industrial" talking about 2-14 AWG wire. Do you think they can handle 20-24 AWG wire for my tortoise machines? Or would the connection be too loose?
                      >
                      > RicZ
                      >
                      > --- In WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl.blum@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Gang:
                      > >
                      > > This looks like a handy circuit board:
                      > >
                      > > http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18931
                      > >
                      > > The price is sure right!
                      > >
                      > > Good luck, Carl.

                    • Carl
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 3, 2012
                        Hello RicZ:

                        The three input terminals are for 2-14 AWG wire and the 11 outputs are
                        good for 12-14 AWG. You can always double up the wire or add a ferrule:

                        http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?sku=70037432&gclid=CL67_Kqp_rACFY2b7Qodlkf5ew

                        These screw clamps usually work fine.

                        As far as a supply of fuzes goes, visit a junk yard and ask to pull the
                        fuzes from cars headed to the crusher.

                        Good luck, Carl.

                      • Glenn
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 6, 2012
                          These look to be well worth the price considering the cost of similar
                          terminal strips with the added feature of only needing one input connection.

                          I believe the wire size/rating deals with the maximum size of wire accepted.
                          The terminals look like screw compression type so should be able to accept
                          most wire sizes. If no 22-24 then make a switch back (Z) at the end of the
                          wire and clamp it in place.

                          One could easily circumvent the fuse with a wrapping of wire in a figure 8
                          if desired. Most auto fuses are slow blow anyway. Good for overload, but not
                          DCC shorts.

                          Glenn

                          These look pretty "industrial." Think they would accept 20-24 awg wires?

                          RicZ
                        • Mark Gurries
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 6, 2012
                            It depends on how the screw lug wire hole is made. If the wire
                            hole has a flat bottom in which the head of the screw makes full
                            contact with...no problem. However I have seen where the bottom
                            of the wire hole is curved and the screw does NOT go all the way
                            down. In other words, there is a minimum wire size. I suspect
                            the latter design is for really high currents and there is a
                            intentional desire to prevent the use of undersize wire.

                            >On 7/6/12 at 7:58 AM, ghazel@... (Glenn) wrote:

                            >These look to be well worth the price considering the cost of similar
                            >terminal strips with the added feature of only needing one input connection.
                            >
                            >I believe the wire size/rating deals with the maximum size of wire accepted.
                            >The terminals look like screw compression type so should be able to accept
                            >most wire sizes. If no 22-24 then make a switch back (Z) at the end of the
                            >wire and clamp it in place.
                            >One could easily circumvent the fuse with a wrapping of wire in a figure 8
                            >if desired. Most auto fuses are slow blow anyway. Good for overload, but not
                            >DCC shorts.
                            >
                            >Glenn

                            Best Regards,

                            Mark Gurries
                            Electrical Engineer
                          • David Towle
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 6, 2012
                              I think there is a 5 unit per customer order and this is there way of enforcing it. I noticed some other items on their site that had this same weird price structure.
                            • Carl
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 9, 2012
                                Hi Gang:

                                I bought a bunch of terminals from these guys, delivery was quick and
                                they work great!

                                http://www.goodluckbuy.com/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=terminal&x=22&y=5&page=2

                                Good luck, Carl.

                              • Carl
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 21, 2013
                                  Hi Gang:

                                  Just looked at a Digital Radio Control system:

                                  http://ringengineering.com/RailPro.htm

                                  Quite expensive for me, Remote $400, Power Supply $270, Locomotive
                                  Decoders $100 each.

                                  I've heard the battery / radio systems are nice, no track power to fool
                                  with at all.

                                  Carl.

                                • Glenn
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 21, 2013
                                    Coming shortly, hopefully in June. Ring has a newer unit (Ret$299) and a non
                                    sound decoder (Ret$59).

                                    I have seen the Handheld on eBay already for $269. I would expect the
                                    receiver to be discounted to $45.

                                    You don't need the power supply if you already have DCC or other filtered
                                    power source. The system will also run on battery; however that option is
                                    not yet in the works from Ring.

                                    Another R/C system is the S-Cab from NWSL. They have a battery system
                                    already that is compatible with RailPro. There decoders are base on Tsunami
                                    units so are limited to available Tsunami sounds. S-cab has cracked open the
                                    decoder and inserted the radio inside the decoder.

                                    Not true "R/C" is Tam Valley Depot's DRS1. This system takes the output from
                                    you DCC base unit and via a transmitter ($70) sends the signal to a receiver
                                    ($70) in the loco. The receiver is connected between the power source
                                    (battery/rail) and your decoder.

                                    S-cab
                                    http://www.nwsl.com/S-CAB_Radio_DCC_Control.html
                                    Support is via a Yahoo Group S-CAB

                                    Tam Valley Depot
                                    http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/drs1wirelessdcc.html

                                    I have seen the RailPro in action, there currently is only one receiver with
                                    four light functions. Sounds for virtually any locomotives are downloaded
                                    from their website to the controller. The same goes for photos of
                                    locomotives.

                                    Glenn