Re: [Vista] Re: Number of processors not resettable in msconfig

  • rickglaz4742435
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27 9:07 PM
      Two additional general thoughts. (A WAG? first.)

      The new computer might just be "too fast" for what you are trying
      to run on it. Older computers had a button on the front to slow
      them down as needed. (Yes, I've been around that long.)

      Msconfig should make "sticky settings", (you are just not
      supposed to use that as a permanent solution.)
      (I *have* when I was really lazy and wanted a quick fix
      on a system I was getting ready to retire anyway...)

      Good luck. (I only programmed in Fortran so can't help with
      that part.)

      RickGlaz4742435

      Sent from Yahoo WEBmail.

      Roger wrote:
      > Hi Rick,
      > Thanks for the BIOS suggestion and the general market
      > background.
      > BIOS Setup worked for me, resulting in a clear indication in
      > Device Manager that now only one CPU is available.  (I
      > have a Tecra M8 Series notebook under Vista Business without
      > any SPs.)
      > Unfortunately, although I had my real-time program (with
      > clocked wait loops) working perfectly for a fraction of a
      > day when I was temporarily successful in changing number of
      > processors by msconfig, now changing to one processor
      > clearly visible in Device Manager does not change operation
      > of that program to 'perfect'.  But that is probably not
      > an operating system problem.  I am glad to have
      > clear-cut control through BIOS Setup now.
      > (It might be that one processor is in net effect even faster
      > than two processors with the coordination overhead.  By
      > the way, I also found that msconfig cannot override a BIOS
      > setting, so it does look like a "temporary" facility.)
      > Roger Belling
      clipped