Re: [Vista] Another Stupid Question

  • Garry Baldwin
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2012
      In my opinion (yeah I know I know lol) except for a few bells and whistles, Vista is virtually the same OS as Win7, if you have all the service packs installed.

      Garry B

      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2012
        Hi Donnie,

        Yes Vista and XP  will eventually disappear just like Windows 3.1 and Windows NT did but I wouldn't worry about it.

        XP to me is very very solid and I may keep using it for a very long time. In 2014 the support for it will go away, but, so what.

        I would be very happy to keep using XP for another 10 years but I know that eventually there will be new hardware that is both extremely fast and inexpensive with new operating systems.

        Dell occasionally has great little machines with Win 7 that are perfect for just email and web browsing for $250.+

        PS There is no such thing as a stupid question. All of us have asked hundreds of 'stupid' questions. It's how we grow?  It's your search for answers that makes a difference. Plus there may be many many people in this group who have the same question.

        Thanks for asking.

        John

        -----------------------------------

        Andrew Bacevich's new book "The Short American Century" is discussed here:
        http://billmoyers.com/segment/andrew-bacevich-on-changing-our-military-mindset/%c2%a0
        -----------------------------------
        Do lobbyists really own Washington? Listen to this powerful and enlightening
        discussion http://billmoyers.com/episode/encore-broadcast-crony-capitalism/
        -----------------------------------

        Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing.--Voltaire (1694-1778)
        -----------------------------------

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2012
          First Windows 7 is the replacement for Vista, I doubt you could upgrade to
          Vista and you would not want to. 7 performs better than Vista, and continues
          the improvements in security. If you cannot upgrade the hardware, stick with
          XP, when you can upgrade the hardware, move to 7 as soon as possible, at the
          least for the sake of security. Of course if you buy branded computer it
          will come with 7, (or 8:) )

          BTW, depending on the multifunction laser printer and its age, you may not
          have to buy a new one as most manufacturers have updated their drivers.
          Again, it will depend on the age.

          Windows 7 is to Vista, what XP was to 2000...

          JohnW

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
            I sympathize with your question and your reading of reality! When I had to buy a new computer for various reasons in 2008, and was forced into Vista by the manufacturer I had good previous experience with, I noticed the protests from XP users (and heard of some successful law suits), and bought what may have been one of the last copies of XP, and got it installed in a dual-boot configuration on my newer generation hardware, through the magic of an honest third-party entreneurial installation software vendor.
            Most of the software I need came Vista-compatible, but when I cannot cope with a file search of Windows Explorer under Vista, I sometimes boot up Windows XP, and usually easily find everything I want, if it is actually there.
            R.B.

            --- In Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com, "smilingdon" <smilingdon@...> wrote:

            > Is Vista dying like XP? I'm on XP and we are disabled and on SS. Not everyone can just run out and drop $900 or more on a new box and multifunction laser printer. At least we can't.
            >
            > I hate planned obsolence and the wallet picking that goes on.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Donnie

          • rickglaz4742435
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
              Part answer about searching.
              File manager and searching has been broken for years in Windows.
              I will never elaborate on that for the nitpickers or trolls.

              I use AgentRansack
              AKA FileLocatorLite (IIRC) for those that need a more generic name.

              http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=agentransack&page=home

              The FREE version is fine for me, but they have a paid one I never
              looked at or tried.

              RickGlaz4742435

              Sent from Yahoo WEBmail.
              "You understand and agree that anyone helping you is
              not able to verify the information you provide, and
              that if you provide incorrect or incomplete information,
              the advice provided to you may not be accurate."
              Always have access to your stuff with a FREE Dropbox
              account. Extra free space using the link below:
              Sign up for free! http://db.tt/7dZh35x