Re: [Vista] Trojan horse

  • DEEJAY
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
      --try trojan remover...it will help u

    • Don
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
        All is running OK - log file did not show any problems w/ran this AM
        (lost the log - but was ok)

        One thing - I can d/l the Weather Channel Desktop install pgm but will
        not actually install the Weather Channel pgm itself. Win Defender is not
        stopping it nor when Win AVirus is disabled. Also tried as Admin. No ideas.

        Don

        On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Howie <esrman@...> wrote:

        > Keep running malware bytes till it says "No problem were detected on your
        > computer" or something like that.
        >
        > Also show us the log file,please.

      • Davide R.
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
          I love Windows 7, and I haven't ever said that about a Windows OS, believe
          me, it's usually the exact opposite. If you do install it do a clean
          install, DO NOT UPGRADE. While it'll take a while to reinstall all your
          applications, you save yourself hours of headaches down the line.

          Glad you were able to clean up your computer.

          On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Don <speedcbl@...> wrote:

          > The first run of Malware Bytes removed about 17 bad guys but still the same
          > problem
          >
          > The second run of Malware removed another 2 bad guys and now things seem to
          > be working OK.
          >
          > We'll see if it's still in the AM - thanks for the help from everyone.
          >
          > I think I'll install Win7 pro version one of these days - I have an
          > unopened
          > copy.
          >
          > Thanks again
          >
          > Don
          >
          > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Stephen Pacarynuk <SWCYahoo@...<SWCYahoo%40shaw.ca>>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Hi Don
          > >
          > > If you removed the visible files and killed all the processes and removed
          > > the helper DLLs and it still persists
          > >
          > > it's likely a rootkit. I have run it the virus in one form or another
          > > several times over the past 3 or more years.
          > >
          > > I have used malware bytes, hijackthis and various AVs (AVG, norton,
          > > McAfee...) on it. Sometimes I have gotten
          > >
          > > lucky and removed it, sometimes I have had to boot with the install disk
          > > the recovery console. BUT, I have also done
          > >
          > > all of that and the thing still comes back - my conclusion it has made
          > > itself part of the OS (via a rootkit).
          > >
          > > So, Save your data as best you can, reformat and reinstall - or take the
          > > opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7.
          > >
          > > Make certain your AV is ready and then restore your data.
          > >
          > > Hope this helps,
          > >
          > > Steve
          > >
          > > From: Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com<Windows_Vista_operating_system%40yahoogroups.com>
          > <Windows_Vista_operating_system%40yahoogroups.com>

          Yes, we can!

        • Don
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
            The final outcome - Ran Malware Bytes which found about 200 problems - this
            fixed the original problem that I had. One other problem was I could load
            The
            Weather Channel Desktop installer but it would not install the program.
            Tried
            a lot - no help. Someone said to try STOPzilla - so I did - it found about
            1200
            more error, sure a lot did not mean a thing, but about 150 did mean a lot -
            so
            after they were fixed, The Weather Channel did load and run.

            I'll have to thank everyone for their help, especially the gentleman who
            suggested STOPzilla - it did the trick'

            Thanks again
            Don

          • Boyd Marcotte
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2010
              Hi Avnish,

              Because the emails are appearing in your sent box then that means
              there is malware on your computer that is using your email program
              rather than simply spoofing your email address. Changing your password
              probably won't stop the problem since whatever changes you make it
              will simply use.

              Make sure you have good, up to date anti-malware software on your
              computer and do a thourough scan. To be safe use one of the online
              scanners to double check since no program is able to catch 100% of
              possible infections.

              In the meantime, I'd change your password on Hotmail but _do not_
              change the password in your email program. Without knowing the new
              password your malware will no longer be able to access your Hotmail
              account to send messages from your computer. By using the browser
              temporarily to read and write your email this should at least stop the
              spamming until you're able to clean the infection.

              Good luck.

              On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Avnish Kashyap <kash1000@...> wrote:

              >Thanks Boyd for your
              >reply.
              >The emails seem to be originating
              >from my computer as
              >they are all in my Sent box, not
              >only that I get lots messages from
              >postmaster for bounced
              >emails.
              >
              >I will change my password and hope
              >it helps.
              >
              >Avnish
            • Boyd Marcotte
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 3, 2010
                Hi Joe,

                As I mentioned in the other post to Avnish, if the email is being sent
                from the actual computer rather than just spoofing an email address
                then it is the result of a malware infection on the actual computer
                and changing the password won't help because the malware will have
                access to the new password once you change it in your email program.
                The temporary solution is to change the password in Gmail but _not_ on
                the computer. Your daughter can send and receive email through her
                browser at the Gmail web site in the meantime.

                Unfortunately it's very difficult to fully remove many viruses and
                trojans these days once they've made their way onto your computer.
                They're very good at hiding themselves even from good anti-malware
                programs so that after hours of scanning and cleaning an infection it
                often still comes back. This is why security programs are best
                considered to be warning devices rather than cleaning solutions. Sadly
                the only way to be 100% sure some infections are gone is to reformat
                your computer and start over. It's drastic and time consuming but
                often the only solution once a computer has been badly compromised.

                In the meantime make sure her firewall is on and working. Update her
                anti-virus program and run a thorough scan, and then try a few of the
                free online virus scanners as well.