want to push a computer using 32 bit vista to 64 bit vista

  • skpjhnsn
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
      Is it possible to use some settings in Vista home to get it from being a 32 bit operateing system to a 64 bit system?
    • John Waller
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
        No, you need to install the 64-bit version. Some of versions of Vista came
        with the 64-bit version, one or two did not. I would say, forget about
        upgrading to 64-bit Vista, and move on to Windows 7. W7 has all the best
        stuff of Vista, and a lot of improvements,. Particularly it loads and shuts
        down faster than Vista.

        JohnW

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
          I posted this question a few days ago but no reply so far.

          Hope somebody can help me.

          On my note book I installed Win 7 RC on the D:\ partition as Dual boot.

          I want to get rid of the dual boot and reformat the Win 7 partition.

          Hope somebody has a solution.

          Thanks

          Avnish

        • Avnish Kashyap
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
            I have lost the driver CD for my motherboard.

            It is Gigabyte model#

            GA-K8N51GMF-9

            I searched Gigabyte site, it has some drivers but

            the CD had lot more stuff than that.

            I am hoping that some member may have the same

            motherboard and driver CD.

            I will be very thankful for a copy of the CD and will

            pay any expenses incurred.

            I am in Toronto Canada area

            Thanks in advance.

            Avnish

          • Boyd Marcotte
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2009
              >On my note book I installed Win 7 RC on the D:\ partition as Dual boot.
              >I want to get rid of the dual boot and reformat the Win 7 partition.
              >Hope somebody has a solution.

              The instructions are here: http://tinyurl.com/chyyze
            • Shyamal Gupta
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2009
                On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Avnish Kashyap <kash1000@...> wrote:

                > I posted this question a few days ago but no reply so far.
                >
                > Hope somebody can help me.
                >

                > On my note book I installed Win 7 RC on the D:\ partition as Dual boot.
                >
                > I want to get rid of the dual boot and reformat the Win 7 partition.

                This involves 2 steps :

                First, from Vista, make Vista the default operating system. And then, delete
                the Windows 7 partition. (After which you can create a new partition and if
                need be, merge it with an adjacent partition).

                If Vista is already your default OS, skip this first step. But better be
                sure about this.

                1. In Vista, go to Start/Run, and type "msconfig" without the quotes.

                Click on the "boot" tab, and set Vista as the default OS.

                2. Delete the Windows 7 partition from Start --> Programs --> Administrative
                Tools --> Computer management --> Disk management.

                Or you can use any good third party software to delete the partition.

                Do let me know if this is clear enough.

                HTH. Cheers.

                --
                Shyamal Gupta
                New York, NY

              • John Waller
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2009
                  You can also right-click on 'Computer'
                  Select 'Properties'
                  In the left pane select 'Advanced Settings'
                  Select the 'Advanced' tab
                  Click 'Settings' button in 'Startup and Recovery' box at the bottom.
                  At the top,in the new dialog, you have 'System Startup'
                  In the drop down menu select the OS you want for you default.
                  you can also select how long the OS option is displayed before continuing
                  with the boot.

                  JohnW

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2009
                    In a message dated 02/11/2009 4:57:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    kash1000@... writes:

                    On my note book I installed Win 7 RC on the D:\ partition as Dual boot.
                    I want to get rid of the dual boot and reformat the Win 7 partition.

                    Hi:
                    You should just be able to run XP and go into computer/manage/Disk
                    management/action/all task, and format the "D" drive. That should get rid of
                    everything there. Bye

                    Emile

                  • Avnish Kashyap
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 21, 2009
                      My present system is Vista Buisiness.

                      Want to upgrade to Win 7.

                      My problem is that I would like to install Win 7 on a new

                      system I want to build.

                      What is best way to achieve this.

                      Avnish

                    • Boyd Marcotte
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 21, 2009
                        >My present system is Vista Buisiness.
                        >
                        >Want to upgrade to Win 7.
                        >
                        >My problem is that I would like to install Win 7 on a new
                        >system I want to build.
                        >
                        >What is best way to achieve this.

                        I already gave you the link to an article in the XP group that
                        explains how to do a clean install of upgrade media. It's not as
                        simple and straight forward as it was with previous versions of
                        Windows. Read the article. It explains what your options are. It's not
                        something that can be explained in a sentence or two.

                        Now you're talking about an upgrade from Vista Business instead of XP
                        and it appears that you're starting fresh on a new system for which
                        technically you're only supposed to install a full version of Windows.
                        From a full version disc you simply need to boot from the DVD to
                        install Windows 7. To do a clean install from an upgrade disc,
                        however, you must follow the steps explained in the article.

                        Microsoft has even changed the rules for OEM copies which are no
                        longer permitted (by the EULA) to be installed on a system unless you
                        are building that system for sale to another party. There is no
                        physical limitation preventing these installations, it's simply your
                        conscience and whether you believe in strictly folowing the letter of
                        the license agreement. I'm not advocating one way or the other. The
                        information you need is at the link.

                        http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
                      • Salsyst
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                          What do you mean by saying, “like to install Win 7 on a new system I want to build.” What is that new system?
                          In addition you mentioned in start of your message “ upgrade”  so it is easy like this:
                          When you put the DVD in the drive, you will be asked if you want to Upgrade or New, so you just chose New and continue, but in this case you will lose all installed programs while if you chose Upgrade as I have done then all programs will remain as they are.
                          Good luck

                          My problem is that I would like to install Win 7 on a new

                          system I want to build.

                          What is best way to achieve this.

                          Avnish

                          http://go.microsoft .com/?linkid= 9691815

                        • Boyd Marcotte
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                            >When you put the DVD in the drive, you will be asked
                            >if you want to Upgrade or New, so you just chose New
                            >and continue, but in this case you will lose all installed
                            >programs while if you chose Upgrade as I have done
                            >then all programs will remain as they are.

                            This does not work with the Windows 7 upgrade media on a system on
                            which there has not already been a copy of WIndows installed. This is
                            the original poster's situation. You're giving the instructions for a
                            system with Windows already on it. If you try to install any Windows 7
                            upgrade on a computer with a blank hard drive your activation will
                            fail.
                          • Vincent Winterling
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                              Not necessarily.To wit:

                              http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

                              Vincent Winterling

                              Vineland, NJ

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                                On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Vincent Winterling
                                <vwinterling@...> wrote:
                                >Not necessarily.To wit:
                                >http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

                                I gave that very link in a previous post. Paul states clearly in the
                                very first paragraph "...you can't simply use Upgrade media to do a
                                clean install of Windows 7 on a new or previously formatted PC..."
                                which is exactly what I said. He then goes on to explain the
                                workarounds which is why I directed Avnish to the same article that
                                you seem to think contradicts what I said.
                              • Vincent Winterling
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                                  My apologies. I seem to have lost track of the thread and did not
                                  intentionally mean to contradict your recommendations..

                                  I was under the assumption he had, in his Vista DVD, qualifying media that
                                  would entitle the updated version. Granted a fresh install is more work but
                                  entirely legal if you have legal qualifying media. Based upon what I have
                                  read (attached), he would seem to be on solid legal ground with Microsoft.
                                  Of course, if it's OEM software then he is not.

                                  http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1505
                                  <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1505&tag=col1;post-1505> &tag=col1;post-1505

                                  http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/11/04/talking-wind
                                  ows-7-upgrade-media-with-microsoft.aspx

                                  Vincent Winterling

                                  Vineland, NJ

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 22, 2009
                                    >I was under the assumption he had, in his Vista DVD, qualifying media that
                                    >would entitle the updated version. Granted a fresh install is more work but
                                    >entirely legal if you have legal qualifying media. Based upon what I have
                                    >read (attached), he would seem to be on solid legal ground with Microsoft.
                                    >Of course, if it's OEM software then he is not.

                                    He does qualify to purchase the cheaper upgrade version of Windows 7
                                    and get a valid license because he owns a previous full version of
                                    Windows. The problem, however, is that he wants to install it on a new
                                    computer that has no OS on it. The upgrade version of Windows 7 will
                                    not work if you try to install it on an empty hard drive without the
                                    workarounds explained on Paul's site.

                                    If XP or Vista were already on the computer then the upgrade disc
                                    would automatically see that he had a legitimate copy from which to
                                    upgrade and then allow for either an in-place upgrade (for Vista)
                                    which preserves all documents, apps and settings, or a custom install
                                    (for Vista or XP) which starts fresh but saves your previous file
                                    structure to a folder called Windows.old.
                                  • Emifra@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 23, 2009
                                      In a message dated 21/11/2009 8:46:12 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                      kash1000@... writes:My present system is Vista Buisiness.
                                      Want to upgrade to Win 7.
                                      My problem is that I would like to install Win 7 on a new
                                      system I want to build.
                                      What is best way to achieve this.

                                      Hi:
                                      The only way I know of is to buy a "Retail Win7 Version" and do a clean
                                      install. You might also check online to see if "OEM" versions are on the
                                      market yet. If yes. you are entitled, as a computer builder, to purchase a
                                      copy at reduced prices........Yes, even if you build or refurbish only one
                                      computer. But there can be restrictions that limit the installation to
                                      the first and only computer it is installed on. Hope this helps. Bye

                                      Emile

                                    • Emifra@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 23, 2009
                                        In a message dated 22/11/2009 8:22:55 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                        boyd.marcotte@... writes:

                                        This does not work with the Windows 7 upgrade media on a system on
                                        which there has not already been a copy of WIndows installed. This is
                                        the original poster's situation. You're giving the instructions for a
                                        system with Windows already on it. If you try to install any Windows 7
                                        upgrade on a computer with a blank hard drive your activation will
                                        fail.

                                        Hi:
                                        This is likely true. You can get around it by first installing Win XP or
                                        vista first then doing an upgrade. And, in my case I did a Win7 pro
                                        installation dual boot with XP and was never asked for a previous version
                                        verification. buy

                                        Emile

                                      • Emifra@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 23, 2009
                                          In a message dated 22/11/2009 2:52:14 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                          boyd.marcotte@... writes:

                                          If XP or Vista were already on the computer then the upgrade disc
                                          would automatically see that he had a legitimate copy from which to
                                          upgrade and then allow for either an in-place upgrade (for Vista)
                                          which preserves all documents, apps and settings, or a custom install
                                          (for Vista or XP) which starts fresh but saves your previous file
                                          structure to a folder called Windows.old.

                                          Hi:
                                          I did my Win7 Pro Upgrade as a "Dual Boot" with XP on the computer and was
                                          not asked for a "Previous Version" verification and both XP and Win7 are
                                          both working fine. BUT, the Win7 upgrade might have seen the XP OS on the
                                          PC. Bye

                                          Emile

                                        • Boyd Marcotte
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 23, 2009
                                            On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM, <Emifra@...> wrote:
                                            >You might also check online to see if "OEM" versions are on the
                                            >market yet. If yes. you are entitled, as a computer builder, to purchase a
                                            >copy at reduced prices........Yes, even if you build or refurbish only one
                                            >computer.

                                            This is untrue. The OEM license from Windows 7 clearly states that it
                                            is only to be used on systems that are being built for resale not for
                                            personal use. Being a "system builder" of your own computer is no
                                            longer sufficient. As I already stated in a previous post on the XP
                                            list, there are no technological limitations to prevent this, but if
                                            you're following the strict letter of the license agreement then
                                            building a computer for your own use does not qualify you for an OEM
                                            license.

                                            >This is likely true. You can get around it by first installing Win XP or
                                            >vista first then doing an upgrade.

                                            It's not likely true, it is true. The whole point of this thread was
                                            that he did not have a previous version to install on the new system
                                            which is why he asked about how to do a clean install.

                                            >I did my Win7 Pro Upgrade as a "Dual Boot" with XP on the computer and was
                                            >not asked for a "Previous Version" verification and both XP and Win7 are
                                            >both working fine. BUT, the Win7 upgrade might have seen the XP OS on the
                                            >PC.

                                            There is no such thing as "Previous Version" verification with Win 7.
                                            It's the activation that fails or succeeds. If you had read the
                                            article to which I pointed Avnish which explains all of this in very
                                            simple terms, you would have seen that any version of Windows
                                            installed on the computer, even a recovery partition, will be
                                            recognized as valid for the upgrade media. But once again this is
                                            irrelevant because the entire point of his question was how to install
                                            using upgrade media on a clean drive.
                                          • Emifra@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 23, 2009
                                              In a message dated 23/11/2009 5:01:12 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                              boyd.marcotte@... writes:

                                              This is untrue. The OEM license from Windows 7 clearly states that it
                                              is only to be used on systems that are being built for resale not for
                                              personal use. Being a "system builder" of your own computer is no
                                              longer sufficient. As I already stated in a previous post on the XP
                                              list, there are no technological limitations to prevent this, but if
                                              you're following the strict letter of the license agreement then
                                              building a computer for your own use does not qualify you for an OEM
                                              license.

                                              Hi:
                                              You may be right as I have not read the new Win7 EULA that close. I know
                                              that if you sell the computer you built, you must include the copy of OEM
                                              Windows you installed with the computer. Does the EULA make a distinction
                                              between selling the computer to a family member or just giving it? Does
                                              it say who you need to sell it to? Or, how much you need to sell it for,
                                              maybe just $1? Maybe, since I've been doing this for a looooong time, as
                                              far as Microsoft is concerned my conscience does not bother me a lot.
                                              But, I'll read the EULA again. Bye

                                              Emile

                                            • Avnish Kashyap
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 7, 2010
                                                Thanks a million Boyd. At last I assembled my new system and installed Win 7
                                                without much problem. It took 7 tries, finally I put in a brand new hard drive
                                                and managed to install, update and activate.

                                                Thanks again.

                                                Avnish

                                                To: Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: boyd.marcotte@...
                                                Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:53:47 -0800

                                                >My present system is Vista Buisiness.

                                                >Want to upgrade to Win 7.

                                                >My problem is that I would like to install Win 7 on a new

                                                >system I want to build.

                                                >What is best way to achieve this.

                                                I already gave you the link to an article in the XP group that

                                                explains how to do a clean install of upgrade media. It's not as

                                                simple and straight forward as it was with previous versions of

                                                Windows. Read the article. It explains what your options are. It's not

                                                something that can be explained in a sentence or two.

                                                Now you're talking about an upgrade from Vista Business instead of XP

                                                and it appears that you're starting fresh on a new system for which

                                                technically you're only supposed to install a full version of Windows.

                                                From a full version disc you simply need to boot from the DVD to