RE: [Vista] reinstall issue

  • Gunter
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Richard.

      My Son is testing the commercial release of Windows 7. Here is first
      impression:

      So far Windows 7 is looking great -- while running with MSN messenger,
      Skype, and internet explorer open it was using a bit over 600 meg of RAM.
      I'll probably end up upgrading the box to 2 GB if I start using MS Office
      applications, but so far it looks good on 1 GB.

      Have Fun.

      Gunter

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
        Gunter wrote:
        > Hi Richard.
        >
        > My Son is testing the commercial release of Windows 7. Here is first
        > impression:
        >
        > So far Windows 7 is looking great -- while running with MSN
        > messenger, Skype, and internet explorer open it was using a bit over
        > 600 meg of RAM. I'll probably end up upgrading the box to 2 GB if I
        > start using MS Office applications, but so far it looks good on 1 GB.

        I am a Leo Laporte listener and he and his Windows expert, Paul Thurotte
        are saying it is what Vista SHOULD have been.

        Leaner, faster and more bullet proof.

        This is why I would prefer to do a clean install. If I upgrade with
        Vist loaded, won't there be some remnants of Vista kicking around when
        it is all done.

        On the other hand, if I do a clean install (if possible) will thinks
        like Bluetooth, webcam and function keys etc work, or will it need
        computer specific drivers?

        Drivers have always puzzled me.

        Richard
        The Golf Bum
      • George Panagakis
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 7, 2009
          Gunter,

          Thanks for the info, and just my two cents, for any support professional (or
          semi professional out there) keeping a disc clone of your customers OS
          (although it sounds like "too much") is the best way to make some easy money
          in the long run. While I was working for a small OEM builder a few years
          back, I found that more than half of my customers, would in fact be
          returning in about a year with a messed up PC. I was more than happy to
          charge them half rates for a few minutes of work (dumping the image back on
          the HD only needs you to start it off, and then, do some updates in the end)

          Now, for the original posters problem, it sounds to me like Compaq has a
          major compatibility issue with third party memory. That -depending on local
          law- is something they need to fix. I'd demand they either gave me a work
          around, or do the installation themselves without me having to pay for a
          memory module that I do not really need. I am guessing that the idea of
          selling you the memory was what the specific rep thought of and I do not
          think they would stick to it once you go formal on them.

          Keep in mind, support personal does not care about your rights, but about
          solving the issue the fastest and less troublesome way. Once you cause them
          problems, they'll probably change tactics.

          Remember to be polite with them at all times and I'm pretty sure they'll go
          out of their way to solve it and not have an open issue on their hands.
          Should the rep not be helpful, just ask to talk to his or hers supervisor in
          a calm and polite way.

          Best regards,

          George

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 7, 2009
            Reinstall issue.

            LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG story short.

            I was finally able to reach my Compaq angel (actually an HP representative)

            The end result is......

            They were totally off and I was right

            The angel has totally remedied the issue by sending a box in which I placed
            the laptop and they paid to overnight it back to them.

            He has the power......

            The laptop failed 10 days after warranty. He has reinstated the warranty
            for another term and everything they have to do is covered.

            I await the laptop. He assured me I would have it back in my hands within
            nine working days.

            He has been most gracious and reassuring. He has promised to make it right
            almost to the point (but not saying) how embarrassed they are about how I
            was treated up until his insertion. (The 20 operators prior didn't know what
            to do because it wasn't in their little flip chart of possible remedies.

            So that's the update........

            I will announce the birth of the new baby laptop when it arrives. We
            already know what we are going to name it "Presario". Has a ring to it.

            Kenn in Zeeland

            By the way the whole time I was talking to this tech from HP the tune of the
            veggie tales hit kept running through my mind. "HP angel please come to
            me......." (original version is PIZZA ANGEL". And yes I have upgraded and
            traded veggie tales songs in for the more antiquated tunes of Barney the
            dinosaur.

            From: Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:Windows_Vista_operating_system%40yahoogroups.com>