Folders in Bookmarks

  • Jean Taylor
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2009
      I have only been using Windows Vista about 3 weeks. Is there a way to set up Folders in Bookmarks like I used to be able to do in XP? I like to be able to sort my bookmarks into groups.

      Jean

    • George Panagakis
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hello Jean,

        I assume you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, if that is the case, go to
        "Favorites" -> "Organize Favorites" and you will be able to make folders
        using the "New Folder" button.

        Best regards,

        George

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7, 2009
          George,

          I can't find which version of IE I have. And I only have Bookmarks, not Favorites. Maybe I don't have ver 7.

          Jean

          >I assume you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, if that is the case, go >to "Favorites" -> "Organize Favorites" and you will be able
          >to make folders using the "New Folder" button.

          Best regards,
          George

        • Howie
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
            Open IE.

            At the top where it says "Help" ,click that then click"About".

            That will tell you the version.
            I can't find which version of IE I have. And I only have Bookmarks, not
            Favorites. Maybe I don't have ver 7.

            Jean

            >I assume you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, if that is the case, go >to
            >"Favorites" -> "Organize Favorites" and you will be able
            >to make folders using the "New Folder" button.

            Best regards,
            George

            ------------------------------------
          • Vincent Winterling
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
              Are you sure you're not using Firefox?

              Vincent Winterling
              Vineland, NJ

              I can't find which version of IE I have. And I only have Bookmarks, not
              Favorites. Maybe I don't have ver 7.

              Jean

              >I assume you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, if that is the case, go >to
              "Favorites" -> "Organize Favorites" and you will be able
              >to make folders using the "New Folder" button.

              Best regards,
              George

              __

            • Jean Taylor
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                Vincent,

                It says Internet Explorer provided by Dell. I don't have the "Help" that Howie suggested to see which ver I have. Do you think if I deleted the Google tool bar that would make a difference in being able to see the "Help" menu..

                Jean

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Jean,

                  Windows Vista came's with IE 7, there is no way (that I know of) to have
                  Vista and an earlier version of IE. Having said that, you can still check
                  the version of most Microsoft software by going to "Help" -> "About
                  Product".

                  The word Bookmark however, leads me to think you are not using IE at all,
                  you see Microsoft uses the word favorites instead of bookmarks. My guess is
                  you are using another browser all together. What does it say on the title
                  bar of the window?

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                      In all versions of IE the terms for links you wish to save is Favorites. A

                      Vincent Winterling
                      Vineland, NJ

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                        OK, that complicates things a little, but I think we will be ok in the end.

                        Here is what I would like you to try:

                        1. Go to "Start" and click on "Run" (if you do not see the option run,
                        you can just press the Windows key + R on your keyboard)

                        2. In the little window that opens up, type "iexplore.exe" and hit
                        enter

                        3. IE will now open and we can be sure it's the IE Windows knows as IE
                        and not some other software Dell put in there.

                        4. Check to see if it's the same window as before or if there is
                        something different about it.

                        If Dell has somehow messed up with IE, you can try organize the favorites
                        through the folder and not from within IE, to do that:

                        1. Open the little folder on your desktop that has your name on it

                        2. Open the Favorites folder

                        3. Organize your favorites the way you want them (don't do them all
                        until you check 4)

                        4. Check to see that your changes do actually reflect on how IE shows
                        them.

                        Best regards,

                        George

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                          Thank you everyone for helping me. This is what I did.
                          1. I removed the Google Toolbar thinking that somehow it was keeping me from having a "Favorites" tab. That caused me to loose my "Bookmarks" tab.
                          2. I went to a couple of websites and right clicked and chose "save in Favorites" even though I didn't know where my favorites were.
                          3. Now I see that I have a star off to the left in my browser and it is my "favorites". Maybe it was there all along. If it was, I am sorry. I was blonde in my younger days.
                          4. I did as George suggested, I brought up IE using the run command: the window that opened looked exactly the same as when I bring up IE the quicker way.
                          5. I still can't seem to make folders and organize my favorites that way. But I can rename them in such a way to group them the way I want.

                          Thank you so much for all your help.
                          Jean

                          1.       Go to "Start" and click on "Run" (if you do not
                          see the option run,
                          you can just press the Windows key + R on your keyboard)

                          2.       In the little window that opens up, type "iexplore.exe" and
                          hit
                          enter

                          3.       IE will now open and we can be sure it's the IE Windows knows as
                          IE
                          and not some other software Dell put in there.

                        • John Waller
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                            You should have two stars at your upper left, a plain star,

                            Stars.JPG

                            and a star with a "plus" sign on it.

                            Stars 2.JPG

                            Click on the star with the "Plus" sign, a menu will drop down. At the
                            bottom, click on "Organize Favorites"

                            Favorites Organizer.JPG

                            A window will open that will allow you to organize your favorites:

                            Favorites Organizer 2.JPG

                            JohnW

[...]

                            Individual Email | Traditional

                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                            mailto:Windows_Vista_operating_system-digest@yahoogroups.com

                            mailto:Windows_Vista_operating_system-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • John Waller
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                              RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              I did not realize that you cannot send images with this group,
                              RATS!!!!!!!!!!

                              And Vista has such an excellent SnipIt tool!!!!!

                              Sigh..................................................

                              JohnW

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                                John,

                                Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to do.

                                Jean

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                                  Sorry I could not illustrate it :)

                                  JohnW

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                                    In a message dated 2/8/2009 11:00:40 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    NewsLetters.Panagakis@... writes:

                                    Windows Vista came's with IE 7, there is no way (that I know of) to have
                                    Vista and an earlier version of IE. Having said that, you can still check
                                    the version of most Microsoft software by going to "Help" -> "About
                                    Product".

                                    The word Bookmark however, leads me to think you are not using IE at all,
                                    you see Microsoft uses the word favorites instead of bookmarks. My guess is
                                    you are using another browser all together. What does it say on the title
                                    bar of the window?

                                    Hi:
                                    Regardless what Browser is set as default, the Favorites folder can be
                                    found in one's user profile, and the folder can be viewed from the start menu
                                    shortcut "Favorites". If it cannot be seen in the Start menu it means that one
                                    will need to change the Start menu settings to allow Favorites to appear.
                                    Bye

                                    Emile

                                    **************Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
                                    AOL Music.
                                    (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000003)

                                  • Emifra@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 8, 2009
                                      In a message dated 2/8/2009 4:35:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                      jean.heimburger@... writes:

                                      5. I still can't seem to make folders and organize my favorites that way.
                                      But I can rename them in such a way to group them the way I want.

                                      Hi Jean:
                                      Once you find the "Favorites" folder in your user profile, you can open the
                                      folder, and sort your Favorites just as if the were in a normal folder.
                                      Create sub-folders etc. The Favorites folder has an Icon like a big yellow
                                      star and you can create and place a shortcut to it on the desktop or "Quick
                                      Launch" for future access. Bye

                                      Emile

                                      steps!
                                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1218550342x1201216770/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe