New laptop with Vista Home Premium

  • peyelit
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2008
      Opened the box and powered up the laptop. the first screen wanted a
      password. Where is the password for initializing or can it be bypassed?
      The &%^%$&($^&* laptop won't let me do anything before the
      administrator password. What gives?
    • Davide R.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
        If this is retail, brand new out of the box, call the place where you got it
        because someone was obviously fiddling with it. The initial screens should
        welcome you to vista and walk you through setting up the laptop. You've
        bought a laptop that someone's already used, which makes it highly suspect!
        Never know what they've put on that laptop. You can either return it, or use
        the CDs or built in partition to wipe/restore it to factory settings. What
        make and model of laptop did you guy?

        On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM, peyelit <peyelit@...> wrote:

        > Opened the box and powered up the laptop. the first screen wanted a
        > password. Where is the password for initializing or can it be bypassed?
        > The &%^%$&($^&* laptop won't let me do anything before the
        > administrator password. What gives?

      • John Waller
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
          I would agree. Further, the big question is why??? Did someone simply paly
          with it? Is it a refurb and they did not tell you? I would insist on a
          replacement as you do not know what else has been done to it, or even if it
          might be defective.

          JohnW

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
            We are taking it back to the seller. It does appear that this laptop
            was previously used and sold as new. We assume the laptop was new
            since the packaging and all looked like factory sealing tape, etc.
            Thanks for your advice.
            Hal
            --- In Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com, "John Waller"
            <johnlwaller@...> wrote:

            > I would agree. Further, the big question is why??? Did someone
            simply paly
            > with it? Is it a refurb and they did not tell you? I would insist on a
            > replacement as you do not know what else has been done to it, or
            even if it
            > might be defective.
            >
            > JohnW

          • Howie
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
              NOTICE:!!You may have to do this in "Safe" mode!!This is assumed you get to
              the desktop.

              To activate the hidden administrator account do this.

              1.Click "start" then "Accessories" and right-click on "run as adminisrator."

              2.In the command prompt window that comes up ,type in"Net user administrator
              myPa$$w0rd12"

              3.NOTE:: replace "myPa$$w0rd12" with the password you choose.!!This is
              important!!

              4.Press "enter" and you should see a sentence saying the password has been
              set.

              when you reboot ,you should see 2 icons on the login screen.

              1.user account.

              2.Administrator account.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
                Remember, he cannot get to that point because of the unknown password. Until
                he logs on, he has no access to the Start Menu, even in Safe Mode. I still
                think it is safest to replace it. Maybe the password is the only issue, and
                maybe not. The person that installed the password could have put in a
                keylogger. It may have been returned to the dealer/manufacturer because of
                defects and got shipped out by mistake. The situation is too important to
                try a workaround when it can be simply replaced.

                JohnW

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
                  In my first sentence I said "if you can get to desktop".

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Welllll....since he can't log onto the computer, we can presume he
                    cannot get to the desktop, roght?

                    --
                    Sent from my mobile device
                  • Garry
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
                      I would take it back for an exchange but if you don't want to go to the
                      hassle then maybe a factory restore or:

                      Try:

                      Garry B