2399Re: [Win7] The vastness of security

  • John Koehler
    Mar 10, 2014
      On Sun, 3/9/14, Doug Harris <digbee@...> wrote:

      Subject: Re: [Win7] The vastness of security
      To: Windows_7_Operating_System@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 8:53 PM

      <snip> Norton is considered a big waste of computer
      resources, it doesn't work well, and it's expensive..

      Doug Harris

      Auckland, New Zealand

      ======================

      Hear hear !!! I totally agree with you Doug. The problem is that people use or buy a virus or mall-ware protection software and believe the hype: "Wow you are so lucky you use our product - we just saved your computer from disaster."

      ALL the popular anti this anti that programs are wasting your resources. ALL of them except (MSE) Microsoft Security Essentials (which is free) and ZoneAlarm (Also free - if you wish to stop programs from reaching out to the Internet without your permission.)

      I know otherwise very intelligent people and many computer experts who swear by garbage like AVG, Malwarebytes, etc. etc. etc. - many won't hurt your computer but are of no value whatsoever as long as MSE is up and kept current.

      I really don't get it. MSE was written by Microsoft to protect their software. DUH lol. All the others are written by people doing their best to try to talk you into ultimately giving them money (many are free for a while or are low level hoping you will like it so much you buy the pro version).

      But, people believe what they believe and will continue to believe scare tactics that online criminals use to get you to use and buy their worthless stuff. There are thousands and thousands of useless anti this and that out there - just put

      rogue security software

      into google.

      But all the above assumes no one using your computer EVER goes to porn sites, clicks on unknown links, never tries to get software without paying for it etc.

      If you do go to porn sites etc even using MSE may not help you.

      True 95% of computer users are not experts who understandably fall for the "Your computer has a serious virus. Click HERE for a free download" this is called Scareware. Can't blame them for trying to protect their computer environment.

      Just my opinion and the opinion of 6,000+ computer security professionals who are responsible for the millions of computers used in the DOD (Department of Defense), NSA, DARPA and the Rand Corporation where I used to work.

      John

      .