2394Re: [WinXPPro] My XP optimization tips (feel free to add or comment)

  • John Koehler
    Jan 12, 2014
      Hi Charles - Thank you for this post. It is truly excellent. It is so good in fact that I am sending it to all our Window groups.

      Which reminds me: if you are an expert computer user like Charles and if you take some time to construct a post like this one, please feel free to send it to all our Windows sister groups:

      <Windows_XP_Professional@yahoogroups.com>,
      <Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com>,
      <Windows_7_Operating_System@yahoogroups.com>,
      <windows_8_operating_system@yahoogroups.com>

      Thanks.

      John

      ---------------------------------------
      "Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing." --Voltaire (1694-1778)

      Subject: [WinXPPro] My XP optimization tips (feel free to add or comment)
      To: "Windows_XP_Professional@yahoogroups.com" <Windows_XP_Professional@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 6:09 AM

      Sent about 12 hours speeding up my Mom's old XP system because it had
      gotten very slow. Here is the definitive guide (and almost all these
      suggestions are Win7/win 8 / vista ready) to what I did some of you
      may have great suggestions or corrections here is the list:

      (of course I first just removed lots of programs casual users
      grandkids, me, her other children put on that have not been used in
      forever, drivers for 3 different printers and their companion programs
      she does not have anymore, etc.)

      http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html is the ULTIMATE SURVEY TOOL
      to see what your system has hardware and software wise and print it
      out. Free and does an amazing report including License keys, installed
      service packs, every piece of hardware and motherboard revision #s,
      etc. A printout from this will answer any techie's question about what
      is on your system. And will help you know what drivers you do need
      based on your current hardware.

      Note: Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy is somewhat better in
      terms of hardware discovery. For instance, a video card that Belarc
      will show as a generic VGA card will be much better detailed by
      Speccy. Belarc, however will doa great job with applications and
      software!

      http://www.blackviper.com/ BlackViper is your must have reference to
      know what Windows Services are started and don't need to be (i.e.
      Services.msc issues). This option is time consuming, consider just
      steps 3, 4, 5, 8 first they may speed things up enough that you don't
      have to do this even though eliminating unneeded services speeds up
      PCs even further.

      #3 (if on XP)
      http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html is THE TOOL to remove tons of
      uneeded stuff that windows XP itself will never let you remove and to
      do so in a very easy way. First thing I do after installing it is
      apply the SHRINK option it reclaims a lot of disk space and eliminates
      a lot of unneeded update rollback info, orphaned temp files, etc.

      Tip use half as many colors as usual i.e. if your Graphics card can do
      32 million colors, set it to use 16 million instead. Half as much work
      redrawing the screen. Right click on display properties provided that
      option.

      TIP If your system has 2 to 4 Gigs of RAM turn off 'swapping to disk'
      for memory just use straight memory. On control panel, SYSTEM,

      if on XP make the system look great, turn on ClearType (on already in
      Vista/Win7 most of the time). You will be shocked how much better text
      looks on the machine.

      Install Process Lasso YESTERDAY from http://bitsum.com/prolasso.php it
      will help you make any system MUCH MUCH FASTER it allows you to
      monitor who is hogging your computer's brain (CPU) and memory (RAM)
      sooooo much better than any other tools, terminate programs instantly
      that don't want to exit or take minutes or never exit when they hang,
      etc. It also 'throttles' (i.e. slows down) any program that tries
      tomonopolize your machine.

      process lasso has many more features than Task Manager:

      A. when a program tries to grab 100% and takes over a machine PL keeps
      a log of the programs that did so on the bottom of its screen. This is
      helpful because when a program slows down a machine often machine is
      sooooo slow Ctrl escape will not pull up Task Man and when it finally
      comes up the offending program has calmed down and you cannot see who
      was monopolizing the machine a few minutes ago.

      B. When a program tries to tab 100% PL throttles it i.e. slows it down
      and gives it less CPU time so it can grab 100% of the CPU. PL is an
      active tool unlike TaskMan that observes but cannot slow down a greedy
      program.

      C. When a program hangs FoxPro, Explorer, whatever and quitting or
      clicking on the X will not close it, Process Lasso has several right
      click terminate options some of which can end the program in a second
      when a stubborn program refuses to end.

      D. It has many more useful columns of information about running
      programs to see RAM consumed to spot RAM pigs, threads, average and
      current % of CPU, etc.

      http://pcdecrapifier.com/ is superb tool. It clears out a ton of
      uneeded programs vendors throw on that clutter your computer and
      registry.

      http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Ccleaner can clean your registry
      but it makes me super nervous as it does MS engineer to remove things
      that may break software. But this seems to be the best at it.

      Security I just removed everything but Microsoft Security Essentials.
      In the past I have used AVG (very good free), Norton, Macafee, Spybot
      Search and destroy (also very good), and AntiMalware Bytes but nasty
      things slipped by any way on other's machine about twice a year or
      anytime my machine got infected by a baddy I had to clean. NORTON in
      particular slows down a machine so much I always remove it entirely
      from a machine and use Microsoft Security Essentials which takes much
      less machine resources to keep machine even safer. Process Lasso has
      identified most scanners as CPU HOGs - windows security essentials is
      not.

      When Bad things slip by or even if you suspect but are not sure your
      machine is infected do THOROUGH BADDY CLEAN (see end of doc)

      Internet Explorer and Firefox are memory hogs. IE more so than
      fIreFox. On an old system or slow system switch to Chrome it will
      perform much better on any system.

      Glary Utilities is useful.

      Revo uninstaller is amazing. It can remove things Add Remove Programs will not.

      THOROUGH BADDY CLEAN. Clean a Windows Machine without Formatting it or
      losing Data
      STEP 1
      If Ransomware or some baddy is taking over our MBR or Partition so you
      cannot escape it, and cannot run safe mode, the ICE Ransomware being
      one of many examples.....
      http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-ice-cyber-crime-center-ransomware
      use a empty USB stick and HitManPro (the free version will remove)
      http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

      STEP 2
      Reboot in Safe mode with networking by rebooting and holding down F8
      key. None of this will permanently fix your computer unless you are in
      SAFE MODE w/ NETWORKING
      1. Download RKill and run it
      2. Download ComboFix from BleepingComputer.org and run it
      3. Download SmitFraudFix and run it
      4. Download AntiMalwareBytes to catch everything those did not
      I can clean any machine no matter how badly infected with these tools
      in safe mode. Will keep recurring if attempted in Normal Mode. Safe
      mode is the key.

      RECENT ACTIVITY:
      Visit Your Group
      Our Moderators are: George Panagakis, Boyd Marcotte, Ken Hollingsworth, Stephen Pacarynuk, John Steed, Kenn Westenbroek, Chris Feyen, Jason R. Vander Zanden, Mike Rubini, Richard K. Esenwine, and Jonathan Knight. Our group regarding Windows 7 is at http://tinyurl.com/windowz7 and our group having to do with Windows 8 is at