2387Re: [Vista] Re: Number of processors not resettable in msconfig

  • rickglaz4742435
    Apr 23, 2013
      Some brands of computer have more settings in the BIOS,
      specifically that one.
      I would look there. (Mine do. I pick my MBs carefully.)

      I looked in device manager under Processors (on VISTA) here,
      but "disable" is grayed out so I doubt MS would let me do it.

      Someone might write a "parking" program for that...
      My CPU cores "*park*" themselves as needed.

      msconfig is supposed to be a temporary workaround, not a
      permanent repair.

      RickGlaz4742435

      Sent from Yahoo WEBmail.
      "You understand and agree that anyone helping you is
      not able to verify the information you provide, and
      that if you provide incorrect or incomplete information,
      the advice provided to you may not be accurate."
      Always have access to your stuff with a FREE Dropbox
      account. Extra free space using the link below:
      Sign up for free! http://db.tt/7dZh35x

      Roger wrote:

      > On second thought, I still would
      > appreciate help on msconfig, specifically on how to proceed
      > to turn the second processor off.  I got it done once
      > or twice, and that had the expected effect, but I haven't
      > been able to repeat that recently.  Maybe Microsoft in
      > its patronizing wisdom, assuming they know what consumers
      > want, have built restrictions into msconfig, that permit you
      > to change the number of processors only once or twice in
      > what they hope will be the product cycle.  I would have
      > to change once a week.  As rebooting is required to
      > complete a requested change, and reboots can be requested by
      > different buttons, maybe I am just clicking the wrong
      > button?  Also, clicking OK under the General tab seems
      > to be required.  But which reboot option is the most
      > opportune then?  Is there a User Manual for msconfig
      > somewhere in the Internet jungle?  I couldn't find user
      > support on the MS website, like there used to be.
      > R.B.
      >

      > --- In Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com,
      > "Roger" <rogerbelling@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sorry to have bothered you for nothing:  By poking
      > around in msconfig, I found that clicking to reboot with the
      > original settings actually restores the old value - though
      > one is not allowed to set the number of processors
      > explicitly.
      > > R.B.
      > >

      > > --- In Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com,
      > "Roger" <rogerbelling@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I solved a synchronization problem in a real-time
      > program by changing msconfig Advanced Boot Options from 2 to
      > 1, and rebooting.  (And the real-time program than
      > worked.)  When I was done with my real-time adventure
      > and wanted my full speed back for batch jobs that run up to
      > several days, in my line of research, msconfig didn't let me
      > change the setting back to where I had had it originally.
      > > > Any clues?
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic