2386Re: Number of processors not resettable in msconfig

  • Roger
    Apr 22, 2013
      On second thought, I still would appreciate help on msconfig, specifically on how to proceed to turn the second processor off. I got it done once or twice, and that had the expected effect, but I haven't been able to repeat that recently. Maybe Microsoft in its patronizing wisdom, assuming they know what consumers want, have built restrictions into msconfig, that permit you to change the number of processors only once or twice in what they hope will be the product cycle. I would have to change once a week. As rebooting is required to complete a requested change, and reboots can be requested by different buttons, maybe I am just clicking the wrong button? Also, clicking OK under the General tab seems to be required. But which reboot option is the most opportune then? Is there a User Manual for msconfig somewhere in the Internet jungle? I couldn't find user support on the MS website, like there used to be.
      R.B.

      --- In Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <rogerbelling@...> wrote:

      > Sorry to have bothered you for nothing: By poking around in msconfig, I found that clicking to reboot with the original settings actually restores the old value - though one is not allowed to set the number of processors explicitly.
      > R.B.
      >

      > --- In Windows_Vista_operating_system@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <rogerbelling@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I solved a synchronization problem in a real-time program by changing msconfig Advanced Boot Options from 2 to 1, and rebooting. (And the real-time program than worked.) When I was done with my real-time adventure and wanted my full speed back for batch jobs that run up to several days, in my line of research, msconfig didn't let me change the setting back to where I had had it originally.
      > > Any clues?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic