SATA

  • Bodaire99 Gmail
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
      What's the story with SATA?

      I upkeep 3 computers and each has 2 hdds, all ATA. I was looking to upgrade to a new system but most of the good systems now have SATA. I do NOT want to have to buy new hdds since I have plenty of ATA drives lying around. That means the mobo I get will have to accept ATA and it seems that manufacturers are making the latest mobos to take SATA drive.

      I don't even think SATA is that much faster. Definitely not worth the cost of buying new hdds.

      Bodaire
      -----------
    • Dennis Jenkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
        Most of the new DVD drives are SATA also.

        Progress.<G>

        Dennis Jenkins

        > I upkeep 3 computers and each has 2 hdds, all ATA. I was looking to
        upgrade to a new system but most of the good systems now have SATA. I do
        NOT want to have to buy new hdds since I have plenty of ATA drives lying
        around. That means the mobo I get will have to accept ATA and it seems that
        manufacturers are making the latest mobos to take SATA drive.

        > I don't even think SATA is that much faster. Definitely not worth the
        cost of buying new hdds.

        > Bodaire
      • Steve Tabler
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
          I wasn't aware that there were motherboards which didn't have the usual
          ATA. I have experience with 4 different motherboards that support SATA,
          but the 4 of them support ATA ALSO.

          To add to the confusion, there is also something called SATA-2, which I
          presume to not be interchangeable.

          My problems I've had with SATA have been related to the data cables not
          staying connected due to the inherently poor connector that has become the
          standard for SATA drives. I've also had some issues with the BIOS not
          wanting to recognize the SATA drive, let alone boot from it.

          To try and address your problem, though: You can likely buy an ATA
          controller card to plug into a PCI slot so that you can use your ATA drives.

          Steve

          At 11:02 AM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
          >What's the story with SATA?
          >
          >I upkeep 3 computers and each has 2 hdds, all ATA. I was looking to
          >upgrade to a new system but most of the good systems now have SATA. I do
          >NOT want to have to buy new hdds since I have plenty of ATA drives lying
          >around. That means the mobo I get will have to accept ATA and it seems
          >that manufacturers are making the latest mobos to take SATA drive.
          >
          >I don't even think SATA is that much faster. Definitely not worth the
          >cost of buying new hdds.
          >
          >Bodaire
        • T. Hunt
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
            There are plenty of up-to-date boards that still use ATA (PATA, as
            opposed to SATA, to keep up with the jargon.) I'm sure one of the
            quality manufacturers has a board that will fit your needs. Asus, MSI
            and Intel as well as Tyan and Supermicro in the server boards. Gigabyte
            also.

            I just did a quick run through for AMD socket 939 and Intel socket 775
            boards and all had at least 1 PATA channel; some even had 3 PATA and
            SATA RAID.

            So don't worry about using those old drives. Just get a board with both
            PATA and SATA and when you're ready to move up to the serial data
            drives, you'll have the connectors right on the board.

            Tom

            Bodaire99 Gmail wrote:
            > What's the story with SATA?
            >
            > I upkeep 3 computers and each has 2 hdds, all ATA. I was looking to upgrade to a new system but most of the good systems now have SATA. I do NOT want to have to buy new hdds since I have plenty of ATA drives lying around. That means the mobo I get will have to accept ATA and it seems that manufacturers are making the latest mobos to take SATA drive.
            >
            > I don't even think SATA is that much faster. Definitely not worth the cost of buying new hdds.
            >
            > Bodaire
          • Wyatt M. Portendt
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
              SATA drives go up to 10,000 RPM's. ATA is currently at 7200. SATA's
              work well with RAID's and use less power and smaller cables, making
              cases cooler. If you uses mirroring in your RAID, it will appear
              slower, but you'll have better drive failure protection. If you use a
              striped RAID, they can be *very* fast, especially with the high speed
              drives.

              Maybe it's not configured correctly?

              On or about 2/2/2006 12:02 PM, the one known as Bodaire99 Gmail was
              rumoured to have uttered...
              > What's the story with SATA?
              >
              > I upkeep 3 computers and each has 2 hdds, all ATA. I was looking to upgrade to a new system but most of the good systems now have SATA. I do NOT want to have to buy new hdds since I have plenty of ATA drives lying around. That means the mobo I get will have to accept ATA and it seems that manufacturers are making the latest mobos to take SATA drive.
              >
              > I don't even think SATA is that much faster. Definitely not worth the cost of buying new hdds.
              >
              > Bodaire
            • Bodaire99 Gmail
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                Thanks. That's reassuring that I can still use my ATA drives and have the SATA connections available as well.

                Bodaire
                -----------

                >There are plenty of up-to-date boards that still use ATA (PATA, as
                >opposed to SATA, to keep up with the jargon.) I'm sure one of the
                >quality manufacturers has a board that will fit your needs. Asus, MSI
                >and Intel as well as Tyan and Supermicro in the server boards. Gigabyte
                >also.
                >
                >I just did a quick run through for AMD socket 939 and Intel socket 775
                >boards and all had at least 1 PATA channel; some even had 3 PATA and
                >SATA RAID.
                >
                >So don't worry about using those old drives. Just get a board with both
                >PATA and SATA and when you're ready to move up to the serial data
                >drives, you'll have the connectors right on the board.
                >
                >Tom
                >
                >Bodaire99 Gmail wrote:
                >> What's the story with SATA?
                >>
                >> I upkeep 3 computers and each has 2 hdds, all ATA. I was looking to upgrade to a new system but most of the good systems now have SATA. I do NOT want to have to buy new hdds since I have plenty of ATA drives lying around. That means the mobo I get will have to accept ATA and it seems that manufacturers are making the latest mobos to take SATA drive.
                >>
                >> I don't even think SATA is that much faster. Definitely not worth the cost of buying new hdds.
                >>
                >> Bodaire
              • Bodaire99 Gmail
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                  As long as I can still use my ATA hdds and DVD burner I'm happy. I can "upgrade" in my own time depending on available cash.

                  What I want to see in the DVD-burners is 10gig blanks standard instead of the 4.7 that's now the standard.

                  Bodaire
                  ------------

                • John82654@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2006
                    In a message dated 2/2/2006 10:09:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    bodaire99@... writes:

                    What I want to see in the DVD-burners is 10gig blanks standard instead of
                    the 4.7 that's now the standard.

                    Bodaire
                  • Peterson Pete
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
                      I have a new HP with a SATA drive. As a result
                      of these discussions, I opened it up to see what
                      options were available.

                      The cables were all neatly bundled up, but I
                      couldn't see an empty connector for another SATA
                      Drive. Maybe there is one all bundled up
                      somewheres. Didn't really dig deap.

                      But regards an ATA drive, it does have an IDE
                      cable to the CD/DVD drive. The cable has a
                      second "slave" connector available.

                      Wouldn't this spare connector be available for
                      adding an IDE HD as a second drive?

                      Pete

                      --- Steve Tabler <stevetabler@...> wrote:

                      > I wasn't aware that there were motherboards
                      > which didn't have the usual
                      > ATA. I have experience with 4 different
                      > motherboards that support SATA,
                      > but the 4 of them support ATA ALSO.
                      >
                      > To add to the confusion, there is also
                      > something called SATA-2, which I
                      > presume to not be interchangeable.
                      >
                      > My problems I've had with SATA have been
                      > related to the data cables not
                      > staying connected due to the inherently poor
                      > connector that has become the
                      > standard for SATA drives. I've also had some
                      > issues with the BIOS not
                      > wanting to recognize the SATA drive, let alone
                      > boot from it.
                      >
                      > To try and address your problem, though: You
                      > can likely buy an ATA
                      > controller card to plug into a PCI slot so that
                      > you can use your ATA drives.
                      >
                      > Steve
                      >
                      > At 11:02 AM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
                      > >What's the story with SATA?
                      > >
                      > >I upkeep 3 computers and each has 2 hdds, all
                      > ATA. I was looking to
                      > >upgrade to a new system but most of the good
                      > systems now have SATA. I do
                      > >NOT want to have to buy new hdds since I have
                      > plenty of ATA drives lying
                      > >around. That means the mobo I get will have
                      > to accept ATA and it seems
                      > >that manufacturers are making the latest mobos
                      > to take SATA drive.
                      > >
                      > >I don't even think SATA is that much faster.
                      > Definitely not worth the
                      > >cost of buying new hdds.
                      > >
                      > >Bodaire

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Steve Tabler
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
                        Hi Pete!

                        I would think that the spare ATA connector you found would support any kind
                        of compatible drive you wanted, including a second HD. Just have to make
                        sure that the existing drive on the cable is compatibly jumpered.

                        SATA drives run off of a dedicated connector. For example, if your
                        motherboard supported 4 SATA drives, then your system's motherboard would
                        have 4 SATA connectors. They are not daisy-chained with 2 drives per cable
                        like you find in ATA (PATA) interfaces. Also, SATA drives may offer a
                        choice in power connections: there is a new drive power connector for SATA
                        drives which is similar in style, but is slightly larger, as the SATA data
                        connector. The SATA drives I have obtained so far have this new power
                        connector as well as the type of power connector typically used on other
                        drives. The main thing is to not use both bower connectors at the same
                        time. Probably harmless, but it would be redundant.

                        Steve