Re: [WinEdt] Linux build?

  • Rub04.2121130@bloglines.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- <winedt+list@... wrote:

      > Over the past couple of months I've not
      had access to my windows box at
      > all. I've slowly weened myself off of
      windows to the point where I have
      > no desire to go back at all. EXCEPT
      for WinEDT.

      > I know someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago,
      but I don't
      > think anymore was ever discussed. How hard would it be to
      port WinEDT
      > over to a Linux platform? I would even be willing to pay for
      a new or
      > addon liscense in addition to the one I have now. Is this a possibility

      > or does Alex not have even the desire to do such a thing?
      >
      > I know,
      there are lots of LaTeX editors and neato stuff for Linux already,
      > but
      I've not found ANYTHING that had all the features of WinEDT in one
      > package.
      I miss my WinEDT.

      > Chris.

      Take a look at Kile (http://kile.sourceforge.net/).

      This is a LaTeX editor for Linux that is really really very similar to WinEdt,
      and just as WinEdt, it will recognize your existing TeX/Ghostscript installation
      when first installed.

      Rub
    • Michael Gehm
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2004
        Rub04.2121130@... wrote:
        > Take a look at Kile (http://kile.sourceforge.net/).
        >
        > This is a LaTeX editor for Linux that is really really very similar to WinEdt,
        > and just as WinEdt, it will recognize your existing TeX/Ghostscript installation
        > when first installed.

        I respectfully disagree. Unless there's been a massive change in Kile's
        capabilities in the last 6 months or so, the only similarities are that
        it's a GUI text editor that can invoke the LaTeX binaries. Don't get me
        wrong, that alone puts it _way_ ahead of the "traditional" methods on
        linux. But realistically, it's extremely underpowered compared to WinEdt.

        -M

        --
        Dr. Michael E. Gehm
        Postdoctoral Research Associate
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2004
          I was interested and downloaded a .tar.gz file from their site.

          Such a site witth .tar.gz files is a sure sign of highly developed
          nerdiness, is my (probably wrong) impression. Still, I opened the file
          and looking for a "program" to just drag to the dock, I got a readme
          about other programming tools like KDE needed, something about "fink"
          -- another gadget I never succeeded in installing and info about
          compiling the source code, lots of files and folders...

          It's just not for me and my PowerbookG4. WinEdt never unloaded such
          gibberish on me.

          BBedit seems to be an alternative editor and it seems there are even
          some plug-ins to make it aware of TeX executables.

          Groet!

          Frans

          Op 1-jul-04 om 14:46 heeft Michael Gehm het volgende geschreven:

          Rub04.2121130@... wrote:
          > Take a look at Kile (http://kile.sourceforge.net/).
          > This is a LaTeX editor for Linux that is really really very similar to
          > WinEdt,
          > and just as WinEdt, it will recognize your existing TeX/Ghostscript
          > installation
          > when first installed.

          I respectfully disagree. Unless there's been a massive change in Kile's
          capabilities in the last 6 months or so, the only similarities are that
          it's a GUI text editor that can invoke the LaTeX binaries. Don't get me
          wrong, that alone puts it _way_ ahead of the "traditional" methods on
          linux. But realistically, it's extremely underpowered compared to
          WinEdt.

          -M

          --
          Dr. Michael E. Gehm
          Postdoctoral Research Associate
          Duke University
          Fitzpatrick Center for Photonics and Communications Systems
          and Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
        • Philip TAYLOR
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2004
            Frans Goddijn wrote:

            > I was interested and downloaded a .tar.gz file from their site.
            >
            > Such a site witth .tar.gz files is a sure sign of highly developed
            > nerdiness, is my (probably wrong) impression.

            Nothing wrong with your impression at all, Frans. Sadly even
            CTAN seems to be migrating in that direction, with READMEs
            where one would expect README.TXTs and (worse) a Win32 TeX that
            treats

            \input testfont

            as

            \input testfont.

            rather than

            \input testfont.tex

            ->

            This is TeXk, Version 3.141592 (Web2c 7.5.2)
            %&-line parsing enabled.
            (f:/Layered products/Tex/Live/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
            (./newtest.tex (./testfont
            ! You can't use `macro parameter character #' in vertical mode.
            l.1 #
            !/bin/sh

            ** Phil.
          • WinEdt Team
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
              > I know someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but I don't
              > think anymore was ever discussed. How hard would it be to port WinEDT
              > over to a Linux platform? I would even be willing to pay for a new or
              > addon liscense in addition to the one I have now. Is this a possibility
              > or does Alex not have even the desire to do such a thing?

              While I am flattered by the (unexpected) interest in WinEdt's port
              to Linux (or MacOS) I have to stress that this would be a tremendous
              task for me. Even if I quit WinEdt (probably not a good idea) LinEdt
              would take years to reach a similar stage. WinEdt has been heavily
              optimized by replacing Delphi's VCL properties with more efficient
              API calls or else optimizing VCL sources directly. This would have
              to be rewritten and then tested with different flavors of Linux...

              Even if this is somehow feasible there remains a task of preparing
              WinEdt configurations for a new set of Linux accessories, fix all
              the oddities when things don't work as expected or documented (they
              never do). In the end LinEdt would not look or do everything exactly
              as WinEdt because Linux is different from Windows. Changes (even the
              ones for better) usually receive mixed responses from existing
              users...

              It is not a matter of my interest or desire but more a problem of
              limited resources and already overwhelming requests for support and
              future enhancements which I cannot keep up with even as it is. Thus
              embarking on another project right now is not an option for me. To
              illustrate, I am just wrapping up 13 hour session of addressing some
              issues in my backlog correspondence and I am in no shape to reboot
              my machine in Linux and do another 13 hours...

              Finally, I see a switch to Linux as a personal decision which should
              also involve one's readiness to adopt new software and the way it is
              written, maintained and installed. In the open source (freeware)
              community "tar.gz" and READMEs might just be a part of it (one gets
              used to it after a while as I can vouch from my UNIX / emacs days).

              Best regards,

              alex
            • Mario Micheli
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
                For anyone out there using a Mac, I have just installed Virtual PC
                for the sole purpose of using WinEdt with it. I have a 15" 1.5GHz G4
                Powerbook, and Virtual PC is actually *quite* slow -- I have 1GB of ram
                on my machine,
                and devote 256 MB to Virtual PC. The ram is not the issue really, since
                Virtual PC plus Winedt only use about 120MB; the real problem is
                in the computing power of the processor (I have heard that
                Virtual PC does not run on G5's). So what I usually do is compiling a
                file
                using WinEdt on the Virtual PC, but I open the PDF output (when I
                convert dvi
                to PDF) using Acrobat for OS X (you basically run Virtual PC in a
                window, while OS X
                is still active in the background; Virtual PC allows you to share
                folders between the two
                operating systems).

                I really have not found a decent latex editor for Mac. The best that i
                have found
                (so far) is iTexMac, but it doesn't come even close to WinEdt. Of
                anyone has
                a suggestion for a good latex editor for Mac OS X, please let me know.
                I have just switched from PC to MAC, and the only thing I could not find
                a substitute for is Winedt.

                -Mario

                On Jul 2, 2004, at 8:10 PM, WinEdt Team wrote:

                >> I know someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but I don't
                >> think anymore was ever discussed. How hard would it be to port WinEDT
                >> over to a Linux platform? I would even be willing to pay for a new or
                >> addon liscense in addition to the one I have now. Is this a
                >> possibility
                >> or does Alex not have even the desire to do such a thing?
                >
                > While I am flattered by the (unexpected) interest in WinEdt's port
                > to Linux (or MacOS) I have to stress that this would be a tremendous
                > task for me. Even if I quit WinEdt (probably not a good idea) LinEdt
                > would take years to reach a similar stage. WinEdt has been heavily
                > optimized by replacing Delphi's VCL properties with more efficient
                > API calls or else optimizing VCL sources directly. This would have
                > to be rewritten and then tested with different flavors of Linux...
                >
                > Even if this is somehow feasible there remains a task of preparing
                > WinEdt configurations for a new set of Linux accessories, fix all
                > the oddities when things don't work as expected or documented (they
                > never do). In the end LinEdt would not look or do everything exactly
                > as WinEdt because Linux is different from Windows. Changes (even the
                > ones for better) usually receive mixed responses from existing
                > users...
                >
                > It is not a matter of my interest or desire but more a problem of
                > limited resources and already overwhelming requests for support and
                > future enhancements which I cannot keep up with even as it is. Thus
                > embarking on another project right now is not an option for me. To
                > illustrate, I am just wrapping up 13 hour session of addressing some
                > issues in my backlog correspondence and I am in no shape to reboot
                > my machine in Linux and do another 13 hours...
                >
                > Finally, I see a switch to Linux as a personal decision which should
                > also involve one's readiness to adopt new software and the way it is
                > written, maintained and installed. In the open source (freeware)
                > community "tar.gz" and READMEs might just be a part of it (one gets
                > used to it after a while as I can vouch from my UNIX / emacs days).
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > alex

                Mario Micheli, Ph.D. Candidate
                Division of Applied Mathematics
                Brown University - Box F
                Providence, RI 02912, USA
                Tel: 401-863-2230 [work]
                Tel: 401-475-3571 [home]
                http://www.dam.brown.edu/people/mariom

              • Chris Bourke
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
                  > While I am flattered by the (unexpected) interest in WinEdt's port
                  > to Linux (or MacOS) I have to stress that this would be a tremendous
                  > task for me. Even if I quit WinEdt (probably not a good idea) LinEdt
                  > would take years to reach a similar stage. WinEdt has been heavily

                  Indeed, this is what I expected, pipe dreams I suppose. In any case I've
                  been using nedit in the mean time (my laptop is down for repairs). The
                  SunRay I use at work is nice, but I have limited admin and resources so
                  I'm unable to install a windows emulator or WinEDT.

                  As a temporary solution, I've thought about installing an emulator and
                  WinEDT in the system tmp directory (I have a disk quota). However, doing
                  so means that others would be able to access it, and thus run my liscensed
                  WinEDT for themselves. I don't think this is kosher with the individual
                  (student) liscense, is it?

                  Finally, when Id o get my laptop back I plan on convertinf ully to
                  linux--I'm pretty sure but would like to confirm that my liscense would
                  still be good if I run it on an emulator.

                  Chris.
                • James Taylor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
                    My two pence thown in (with lots of bracketed comments)

                    >Even if this is somehow feasible there remains a task of preparing
                    >WinEdt configurations for a new set of Linux accessories, fix all
                    >the oddities when things don't work as expected or documented (they
                    >never do). In the end LinEdt would not look or do everything exactly
                    >as WinEdt because Linux is different from Windows. Changes (even the
                    >ones for better) usually receive mixed responses from existing
                    >users...

                    If looks are the only issue, then

                    >It is not a matter of my interest or desire but more a problem of
                    >limited resources and already overwhelming requests for support and
                    >future enhancements which I cannot keep up with even as it is. Thus
                    >embarking on another project right now is not an option for me. To
                    >illustrate, I am just wrapping up 13 hour session of addressing some
                    >issues in my backlog correspondence and I am in no shape to reboot
                    >my machine in Linux and do another 13 hours...

                    Perhaps there are potential other considerations. Have you considered
                    licensing the code to someone willing to work on a linux version? (given
                    that it might take four or five years to finish as a part time job)
                    (insert your own legal ramiffications over ip protection etc here) (This
                    is of course, after I presume you can not afford to pay someone to work
                    on a linux version directly).

                    >Finally, I see a switch to Linux as a personal decision which should
                    >also involve one's readiness to adopt new software and the way it is
                    >written, maintained and installed. In the open source (freeware)
                    >community "tar.gz" and READMEs might just be a part of it (one gets
                    >used to it after a while as I can vouch from my UNIX / emacs days).

                    I would have to dissagree with this last section here as being an
                    slightly outdate opinion of the unix world at its current point. There
                    are now many fantastic distributions such as Knoppix which run straight
                    of a CD, which have beutiful installers (five questions including "whats
                    your computer name"), package mangment is now absolutly awsome if you
                    want to use apt (debian) or rsynch (gentoo and others), whilst RPM is
                    still a little grr argh (Well I dont like it ok?). From a debian user,
                    I use a lot of non-free closed source software on my linux machine,
                    including (but not limited to) VM ware, the JVM and several proprietary
                    drivers.

                  • James Taylor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
                      Sorry - my bad. Really must finish one paragraph before moving onto another.

                      >> In the end LinEdt would not look or do everything exactly
                      >> as WinEdt because Linux is different from Windows. Changes (even the
                      >> ones for better) usually receive mixed responses from existing
                      >> users...
                      >>

                      > If looks are the only issue, then

                      this is not so much of a problem - admins in linux can usualy respect
                      the fact that things look different. If the functionality is to change
                      however, that is a larger issue that must be dealt with (ie how do the
                      buttons work with respect to internal code). Not a fork - the best idea
                      would only be to convert the base librarys so that the core code can
                      still be used on both systems, not to have a complete fork, where any
                      progress in winedt would be automatically lost on the linux version.
                    • Alejandro Carabe-Fernandez
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                        Has any one tried to run WinEdt from Linux platform using Wine. I have
                        successfully run it but miktex is giving me a bit of a hard time. It might
                        be the solution to those who want to stick to Linux but are forced to use
                        some windows applications!!

                        Give it a go and share your opinions/experiences!!
                        Alex Carabe

                        > I know someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago,
                        but I don't

                        > think anymore was ever discussed. How hard would it be to
                        port WinEDT

                        > over to a Linux platform? I would even be willing to pay for
                        a new or

                        > addon liscense in addition to the one I have now. Is this a
                        > possibility

                        > or does Alex not have even the desire to do such a thing?

                        > I know,
                        there are lots of LaTeX editors and neato stuff for Linux already,

                        > but
                        I've not found ANYTHING that had all the features of WinEDT in one

                        > package.
                        I miss my WinEDT.