[WinEdt] silly question

  • Mario Micheli
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2004
      This is probably a silly question for most of you. But how do I prevent
      the black DOS window (that appears whenever I click on the Latex button,
      or whenever I call bibtex, or dvi2pdf) from disappearing from the screen
      as soon as compilation is complete? I'd like to be able to read all the
      possible messages that appear on it.
      Thanks
      -Mario

      --

      Mario Micheli, Ph.D. Candidate
      Division of Applied Mathematics
      Brown University - Box F
      Providence, RI 02912, USA
      Tel: 401-863-2230 [work]
      401-521-6578 [home]
      http://www.dam.brown.edu/people/mariom

    • Sukomal Modak
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2004
        Mario,

        The information is saved in the log files. You can easily read the log
        files keeping the following lines in your main file. However, you will
        have to replace the filenames "Document.*" with "Your_Main_File.*". If
        you remove the spaces between % and GATHER, and update your File-Tree,
        the files becomes available in the tree. Alternatively, you can open the
        file just by removing the spaces and clicking on the word GATHER and
        without updating the File-Tree. You can even open the log file using
        menu option and not using GATHER statements.

        This is an excellent feature from WinEdt.

        HTH,
        --
        Sukomal
        =================================

        %Error Log file and major temporary files
        %-----------------------------------------------------------------------
        -

        % GATHER{Document.aux}
        % GATHER{Document.log} % Log file for TeX

        % GATHER{Document.toc}
        % GATHER{Document.lot}
        % GATHER{Document.lof}

        % GATHER{Document.bib}
        % GATHER{Document.bbl}
        % GATHER{Document.blg} % Log file for BibTeX

        % GATHER{Document.idx}
        % GATHER{Document.ind}
        % GATHER{Document.ilg} % Log file for MakeIndex

      • Philip G. Ratcliffe
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2004
          > This is probably a silly question for most of you.

          Well, yes, but then there is help available in the programme, see later...

          > But how do I prevent
          > the black DOS window (that appears whenever I click on the Latex button,
          > or whenever I call bibtex, or dvi2pdf) from disappearing from the screen
          > as soon as compilation is complete? I'd like to be able to read all the
          > possible messages that appear on it.

          |Options|Configuration Wizard|TeX Configuration|Help gets you

          1. BATCH Execution Mode

          Each TeX accessory is started through a corresponding BATCH file in WinEdt's
          Bin\TeX Folder. BATCH files end with the command "pause", which prevents the
          closing of the console Window in which the compilation takes place, thus
          giving the user a chance to process any input and interact with TeX
          compilers and converters. No special actions are taken by WinEdt (the rest
          of the options is ignored!). This mode requires PATH to include TeX's Binary
          folder and on Win9x/ME WinEdt cannot internally correct any problems with he
          PATH (see the Diagnostic Frames for more info). Filenames used for your
          documents should not contain spaces!

          Maybe that's what you wanted.

          Cordialmente, Philip G. Ratcliffe

          "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
          would it?" -- Albert Einstein
        • Ramamurthy V. Dwivedula
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2004
            Hi,

            I think if you choose "Options->Configuration Wizard->TeX Configuration->
            BATCH Execution Mode", the console window stays open till you "Press a
            key..".

            Also, the log file can be seen by pressing "Ctrl+L" on any open file.
            ".log" file contains all the information regarding compilation. You may
            also want to see the ".aux" file which contains information regarding
            equation/figure/table/citation numbers.

            Have a nice weekend.

            Sincerely,

            Ram