Re: [WinEdt] Selection

  • Agustin E. Bolzán
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2012
      Dear Karl,

      I read your posts and I must say that in any way they have offended
      me.

      Agustin

      Con fecha Viernes, 04 de Mayo de 2012, 01:10:42 p.m., escribió:

      > Il 04/05/2012 17.29, David Huffer ha scritto:
      >> First, I did read it. I'm a little annoyed by your tone and, frankly, your tone in a few other posts. That's a bit unnecessary and I'm just about tired of reading your responses and this list in general. Its things like this that make me wonder why I even considered switching from emacs.

      > David,

      > don't misunderstand me. My words were not intended to offend you or
      > anyone else. I was just trying to encourage users to read the manual
      > because there, as I said, one can learn much about WinEdt's features.

      >> My default windows behavior respects text color. In every other application I use if unselected text is red then selected text is also red. If unselected text is blue, selected text is also blue. That is the default. Anything else is visually disturbing.

      > Windows acts the way I said (try Notepad or Wordpad). If your
      > application has its custom colors, this has nothing to do with Windows
      > defaults (in fact emacs doesn't use Windows libraries...)

      >> Thanks for your response, though. It certainly makes my decision to invest in this software an easier one.

      > I remind you that I'm only a user of WinEdt, as you are, so you don't
      > make a vexation to me if you switch back to emacs...

      > Best regards,

      > Karl
    • Karl Koeller
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2012
        Il 04/05/2012 18.20, Agustin E. Bolzán ha scritto:
        > Dear Karl,
        >
        > I read your posts and I must say that in any way they have offended
        > me.
        >
        > Agustin

        thanks for your remark, Augustin.

        If anyone (besides David) feels offended by my posts, please let me know.
        I don't want to offend anyone, but as you all have probably noticed, I'm
        not very good at speaking English, so I may use words that can offend
        someone.
        I don't have any problem to unsubscribe from the list, since I don't
        have anythink to ask there (maybe I can help someone?).

        Best regards to all.

        Karl
      • WinEdt Team
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2012
          David,

          > In Selections.ini I have
          >
          > SELECTION="Selected Text"
          > TEXT_COLOR=-1
          > BACKGROUND_RGB="$FABD98"
          >
          > and my selections do have that background color. The selected
          > text, however, is all white.
          >
          > What do I need to change to get selected text to retain its
          > default color?

          At the moment selections cannot retain highlighted colors because
          it never crossed my mind to provide an option for that (and this
          is not the behavior of Windows applications that I am personally
          familiar with). However, it is absolutely trivial to allow such
          selections now that we know that some users may prefer it this
          way...

          For the next version you can specify

          TEXT_COLOR=-2

          and that means NO text color is associated with this selection
          mode. It is even possible to do the same for BACKGROUND_COLOR=-2
          should one wish to do so.

          Best regards,

          alex
        • Gyorgy Szeidl
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2012
            dear karl:
            don't unsubscribe from the list. your messages are
            aimed at providing help. i am grateful for all the remarks
            you sent me. in addition i have learnt a lot from the
            messages you have sent to the list as replies to other
            list member's questions. english is a second language
            for me as well, and my knowledge is far away from
            being a good one. i hope you can understand what
            i wanted to say.
            best regards
            gyorgy
            > Il 04/05/2012 18.20, Agustin E. Bolzán ha scritto:
            >> Dear Karl,
            >>
            >> I read your posts and I must say that in any way they have offended
            >> me.
            >>
            >> Agustin
            >
            > thanks for your remark, Augustin.
            >
            > If anyone (besides David) feels offended by my posts, please let me know.
            > I don't want to offend anyone, but as you all have probably noticed,
            > I'm not very good at speaking English, so I may use words that can
            > offend someone.
            > I don't have any problem to unsubscribe from the list, since I don't
            > have anythink to ask there (maybe I can help someone?).
            >
            > Best regards to all.
            >
            > Karl

          • Simon Platt
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2012
              I second that. (Apart from the bit about English being a second language,
              of course.)

              --
              Simon Platt
            • Karl Koeller
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2012
                Il 05/05/2012 17.13, Simon Platt ha scritto:
                > I second that. (Apart from the bit about English being a second language,
                > of course.)
                >
                >> dear karl:
                >> don't unsubscribe from the list. your messages are
                >> aimed at providing help. i am grateful for all the remarks
                >> you sent me. in addition i have learnt a lot from the
                >> messages you have sent to the list as replies to other
                >> list member's questions. english is a second language
                >> for me as well, and my knowledge is far away from
                >> being a good one. i hope you can understand what
                >> i wanted to say.
                >> best regards
                >> gyorgy

                >>> thanks for your remark, Augustin.
                >>>
                >>> If anyone (besides David) feels offended by my posts, please let me
                >>> know.
                >>> I don't want to offend anyone, but as you all have probably noticed,
                >>> I'm not very good at speaking English, so I may use words that can
                >>> offend someone.
                >>> I don't have any problem to unsubscribe from the list, since I don't
                >>> have anythink to ask there (maybe I can help someone?).
                >>>
                >>> Best regards to all.
                >>>
                >>> Karl

                I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I already took a decision about this...

                I'm sure there is someone kinder than me in the list who's able to
                answer your questions, anyway.

                Best regards,

                Karl