[WinEdt] Writing Arabic

  • M.A
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 6:25 AM

      Dear WinEdt Support,

      Winedt 7 has been released with a claimed support of UTF8. It is true that now the arabic letters are showing correctly, but the default setting are still far from being useful.

      First, the arabic, persian and urdu words are made of connected letters (cursive writing), and winedt is showing them separated like latin words!

      Second, the arabic, persian and urdu languages are right-to-left languages, and I didn't see a way to switch to right to left (RTL) mode in winedt 7 !!

      Can you suggest a solution for these problems (if any)?

      Thanks alot

    • Simon Platt
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27 1:16 PM
        We have joined-up writing in English, too, you know.

        LATINDOESTHINGSDIFFERENTLYOFCOURSE

        --
        Simon Platt
      • M.A
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 1:24 PM
          I am talking seriously about joining the letters.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive#Cursive_Arabic
          Dear mailing-list admin, please filter such useless replies.

          --
          Simon Platt

        • WinEdt Team
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27 2:39 PM
            > Winedt 7 has been released with a claimed support of UTF8. It
            is
            > true that now the arabic letters are showing correctly, but
            the
            > default setting are still far from being useful.

            First, the arabic, persian and urdu words are made of connected
            > letters
            (cursive writing), and winedt is showing them separated
            > like latin
            words!

            > Second, the arabic, persian and urdu languages are
            right-to-left
            > languages, and I didn't see a way to switch to right to
            left (RTL)
            > mode in winedt 7 !!
            >
            > Can you suggest a
            solution for these problems (if any)?

            I did not build in any support for bidi or cursive writing as it
            is complicated and I would have to use different libraries (such
            as uniscribe or even something better to deal with kerning and
            other typesetting issues that are commonly ignored by text
            editors). In other words, I would have to replace about 30K lines
            of well tested code with new one based on different Windows
            libraries and then deal with all the inherited refresh oddities.
            Maybe one day, but as I said it is not easy and it does not help
            that I don't speak any such languages.

            WinEdt also doesn't properly display non-spacing marks in Thai.
            This one might be easier to fix without turning everything upside
            down (or should I say right to left:-). And I am sure that going
            through all combinations of 64K characters one can compile a long
            list of oddities (many inherited from Windows -- especially on
            XP).

            In other words WinEdt 7 is currently NOT capable of properly
            handling Arab or Hebrew (or Thai) texts. I am aware of that.

            Best regards,

            alex

            ps.

            > Dear mailing-list admin, please filter such useless replies.

            This mailing list is not moderated. Anything goes...