[WinEdt] Synching configuration

  • Ulrike Fischer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19 11:52 AM
      I haven't have yet the time to install and test the macros to copy
      local configurations to a new winedt version but they sound good.

      I would like to ask for something similar in the "horizontal"
      direction.

      I would like to sync my settings and macros between the winedt on my
      PC and on my netbook.

      I can't simply copy the content of all folders in my user profile as
      they could contains settings which shouldn't be copied: E.g. some
      pathes to pdf-viewers are different, also the pathes to e.g. the
      context minimals. The recent file and project lists are also
      different. Currently I simply copy the relevant configurations
      manually (and try not to forget one) but it is cumbersome and error
      prone.

      Has someone a working solution to automate this task?

      --
      Ulrike Fischer
    • Helmut Haberzettl
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20 1:44 PM
        Not quite an automated solution, but something that works for me: I have a file that is read at start-up of WinEdt that initializes a whole bunch of local string variables containing the information about the local setup, like paths etc. My macros don't contain explicit configuration information but use only these local variables. Transferring my setup to a different machine then only involves editing the start-up file with local variables, and this can be done relatively reliably since the changes necessary are all in one place. Everything else can simply be copied to the new location.
        --Helmut

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21 3:20 AM
          Am Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:44:38 -0400 schrieb Helmut Haberzettl:

          >> I would like to sync my settings and macros between the winedt on my
          >> PC and on my netbook.
          >>
          >> I can't simply copy the content of all folders in my user profile as
          >> they could contains settings which shouldn't be copied: E.g. some
          >> pathes to pdf-viewers are different, also the pathes to e.g. the
          >> context minimals. The recent file and project lists are also
          >> different. Currently I simply copy the relevant configurations
          >> manually (and try not to forget one) but it is cumbersome and error
          >> prone.
          >>
          >> Has someone a working solution to automate this task?

          > Not quite an automated solution, but something that works for me:
          > I have a file that is read at start-up of WinEdt that initializes
          > a whole bunch of local string variables containing the
          > information about the local setup, like paths etc. My macros
          > don't contain explicit configuration information but use only
          > these local variables. Transferring my setup to a different
          > machine then only involves editing the start-up file with local
          > variables, and this can be done relatively reliably since the
          > changes necessary are all in one place. Everything else can
          > simply be copied to the new location.

          Yes I thought about something like this. But I'm struggling with the
          details and the implementation. As an example: I have pathes to
          pdf-readers in the execution tab.

          This pathes are stored in %b\Config\PDFAutoDetect.edt as e.g.

          Assign(!"PDF-View2",!"""J:\MiKTeX2.9\miktex\bin\miktex-texworks.exe""");

          How can I clear this edt-file from the absolute pathes? In the case
          of texworks I can simply remove the path as the executable is in my
          PATH, but this doesn't work for other viewers like the adobe reader,
          or if the name of the executable itself is different.

          --
          Ulrike Fischer