Jul 25 Great pilgrimage; Dylan booed offstage; US allowed Gulf War; God

  • Pip Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2010

      The Pilgrimage of Santiago de Compostela

      http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/book/jul25.html At Galicia, Spain, probably the world's greatest pilgrimage

      The city of Santiago de Compostela became the seat of St James the Great (whose feast day this is), from the legend of his body having been miraculously translated there.

      When his relics were being conveyed from Jerusalem, where he died, to Spain, in a ship of marble, the horse of a Portuguese knight plunged into the sea with its rider. When rescued, the knight's clothes were found to be covered with scallop shells.

      It might be that the use of the scallop device derives from the pilgrims' using shells as primitive cups and spoons, or it might derive from the earlier Roman festival of the sea god and goddess, Neptune and Salacia (July 23, qv). Pilgrims to the shrine wore, and often still wear, a scallop shell on cloak or hat ...

      The pilgrimage to Compostela became almost as popular and important in medieval Europe as that to Jerusalem. Because of this, seventeen English peers and eight baronets have scallop shells in their arms as heraldic charges. Note that it is not only in Europe that scallops and pilgrimages go together. In 19th-Century Japan, too, certain pilgrims adorned themselves with scallop shells.

      The pilgrimage, known as the Camino (Camino de Santiago or Way of St James), is as popular today as it was in the Middle Ages. Tens of thousands of pilgrims from all over the world, not all of them Roman Catholic, make the journey on foot. The pilgrimage, probably the most famous on the planet, goes for about 900 kilometres, from France to Spain, and takes about a month ...

      Today according to Australian Eastern Standard Time when this item was posted

      Categories: saint, calendar-customs, spain, pilgrimage

      Wilson's Almanac Free Daily Ezine from http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com. Established 01-01-01. "If need be, read free." Combines material from the Almanac's Book of Days http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/book_of_days.html and elsewhere, including http://facebook.com/pip.wilson and http://wilsonsalmanac.blogspot.com/. To aid my continued publication, kindly invite your friends to subscribe for free at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WilsonsAlmanac/, and in exchange for your free daily reading pleasure, please click http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/subs.html once a month.
      Thank you from your almanackist, Pip Wilson. "Carpe diem! Seize the day."

      How US told Hussein he may invade Kuwait

      http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/book/jul25.html 1990 April Glaspie, the American ambassador to Iraq during the administration of President George HW Bush, gave Saddam Hussein America's go-ahead to invade Kuwait, and Hussein smiled.

      The exchange was reported in the New York Times of September 23, 1990.

      US Ambassador Glaspie: I have direct instructions from President Bush to improve our relations with Iraq. We have considerable sympathy for your quest for higher oil prices, the immediate cause of your confrontation with Kuwait. (Pause) As you know, I lived here for years and admire your extraordinary efforts to rebuild your country. We know you need funds. We understand that, and our opinion is that you should have the opportunity to rebuild your country. (Pause) We can see that you have deployed massive numbers of troops in the south. Normally that would be none of our business, but when this happens in the context of your threat s against Kuwait, then it would be reasonable for us to be concerned. For this reason, I have received an instruction to ask you, in the spirit of friendship – not confrontation – regarding your intentions: Why are your troops massed so very close to Kuwait’s borders?

      Saddam Hussein: As you know, for years now I have made every effort to reach a settlement on our dispute with Kuwait. There is to be a meeting in two days; I am prepared to give negotiations only this one more brief chance. (Pause) When we (the Iraqis) meet (with the Kuwaitis) and we see there is hope, then nothing will happen. But if we are unable to find a solution, then it will be natural that Iraq will not accept death.

      Glaspie: What solutions would be acceptable?

      Hussein: If we could keep the whole of the Shatt al Arab – our strategic goal in our war with Iran – we will make concessions (to the Kuwaitis). But, if we are forced to choose between keeping half of the Shatt and the whole of Iraq (i.e., in Saddam's view, including Kuwait ) then we will give up all of the Shatt to defend our claims on Kuwait to keep the whole of Iraq in the shape we wish it to be. (Pause) What is the United States' opinion on this?

      Glaspie: We have no opinion on your Arab - Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary (of State James) Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960s, that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America. (Saddam smiles.)

      Categories: usa, saddam-hussein, iraq, war-on-terror

      BEATLES WEEKEND, yeah, yeah, yeah! One selected Beatles-related video, some weekends at http:facebook.com/pip.wilson. I hope you enjoy this interlude of a Fab 4-related vid. About 4 decades after this song, about 4/5 of the world's population still believe in this Imaginary Friend. Battle on, rational people! Our dream is n.ot yet over. Fear not the bullets; truth & mind are stronger than fantasy.

      The day Bob Dylan was booed off stage

      http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/book/jul25.html 1965 Crowds booed Bob Dylan at the Newport Folk Festival when they played 'Maggie's Farm' backed by electric guitars (Paul Butterfield's band).

      Dylan was dressed like a rocker with a black leather jacket, and it was all too much for the traditionally-minded folkies. Some in the audience yelled "Sellout!" and Pete Seeger later said he was "ready to chop the microphone cord". The day is now recognised as a major turning point in the world of both Folk and Rock, and the birth of Folk-Rock.

      Dylan left the stage as a result of the booing, but was persuaded by Joan Baez to return to the stage. He sang two songs, 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue', clearly a farewell to the 'traditional folkies' who had booed him offstage, and 'Mister Tambourine Man', which was to become a hit for The Byrds, and left Newport, not to return until 2002, when he was welcomed back with open arms ...

      Categories: dylan, folk-music, music, rock-music

      Community noticeboards

      Letter submitted today to the Editor, Bellingen Shire Courier-Sun: Sir, This is a call to the council and merchants of Bellingen. Call me 'late for dinner', or call me 'Pip' (a sobriquet given to me by nurses in 1953, and has stuck, like it or not). But please don't call me 'old fashioned' when I lament Bellingen's loss of community noticeboards. At least three or four have disappeared in the past 40 months.

      Noticeboards are a strong indication of a community's vitality (and increase the vitality), and we had plenty of them, but bit by bit we let them go. A visit to the wastelands of outer western suburbs of Sydney readily shows that there are virtually no community noticeboards. The residents live in places of alienation, and the more the noticeboards go, the more alienated the populace becomes.

      It's true that so many of Bello's noticeboards have been removed because vandals set them alight. But are we to allow the hoons and firebugs to rule over us, or shall we use our wits to outwit them? Surely this, like all other hooligan activity in Bello, is not beyond the intelligence of local residents to overcome, or have we all given up and are happy to live in a diminishing wasteland? Let's see an uprising of noticeboards, and the firebugs prosecuted and ordered to make amends to the rest of us who want community.

      Likewise, North Bellingen has now lost its post box because of vandal firebugs. (Drunken children, I suspect, but can't verify.) It's a 1.2-km return walk to town from Dowle Street just to post a letter. Is it too hard for Australia Post to gather together a few lonely, bureaucratized brain cells to invent a fire-proof post box in order to service the northside? Is it too hard for Bellingen merchants to get fire-proof noticeboards gracing our beloved community again?

      Yours sincerely,
      Pip Wilson, Bellingen

      Click for more on my bioregion

      Categories: bellingen, community

      After 57 years, I've found 2 ways to deal honourably with psychic vampires http://bit.ly/5uqCg0 & gosspips. (A) Tell nothing & take 'em nowhere; it's kindness. (B) When they discuss you & your alleged foibles, invite them to sit with u for 30 mins to hear yr story, & be strictly honest. They usually head for the hills,... but sometimes it works wonders.

      No-dig garden in fallow for winter

      http://bit.ly/a88vrK We're not planting a 2010 winter crop in the no-dig garden. We've put down flattened cardboard boxes and covered them with deep mulch, mainly lawnmower clippings which include grass and leaves. (Thanx, Joe, the local lawnmowing bloke.) After the frosts, about 6 weeks from now, spring planting will commence.

      I'm a member of the Rainbow Region Flickr group for North-eastern New South Wales.