Re: [William-Optics] Megrez 80 another first look . . .

  • eric719@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2000
      Thanks for the report, Steve. I've got an order in for the Megrez 102.
      The reports on the 80 all seem to be real positive. I can't wait!

      How 'bout William or Herb? Any updates on a delivery time for the 102?

      Eric Strang

      Deep Sky Observing
      http://community.webtv.net/eric719/TheStrangListDeep
    • Archer Sully
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2000
        On Fri, 08 Dec 2000, you wrote:
        > Thanks for the report, Steve. I've got an order in for the Megrez 102.
        > The reports on the 80 all seem to be real positive. I can't wait!
        >
        > How 'bout William or Herb? Any updates on a delivery time for the 102?

        I love my 80, but given budgetary constraints I'll probably have
        to pass on a 102 (but keep me on the list anyway, Herb ;-).
        What I would really like to see is a 120-130mm Megrez. I would
        imagine that the price would be reasonable, and the performance
        would be outstanding.

        Thanks, William, for making such a fine instrument available at
        such a reasonable price. And I >like< the gold anodized band
        on the dewcap!

        Archer Sully
        Boulder, CO
      • William
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2000
          > Thanks for the report, Steve. I've got an order in for the Megrez 102.
          > The reports on the 80 all seem to be real positive. I can't wait!
          >
          > How 'bout William or Herb? Any updates on a delivery time for the 102?

          It's almost done, we are making the wooden case for 102 now.

          William

          > Eric Strang
          >
          > Deep Sky Observing
          > http://community.webtv.net/eric719/TheStrangListDeep

        • Steve Brekke
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2000
            William,

            First of all let me complement you on your Megrez
            series scopes, they are very very nice instruments.

            Overall, as I indicated in my review, I am quite happy with
            my scope, but I do have a few comments and suggestions. . .

            - I really like the foam lined case. The foam is nice and
            dense and holds the scope very tightly. I notice however
            that the cutout in not an EXACT fit. If accidentally dropped,
            this firm foam will do a good job of protecting the scope,
            but there is no clearance around the high profile adjustment
            screws on the camera rotator and bottom of focuser. Without
            this clearance that tough foam could work against you, by
            catching on the screws and bending them as the scope shifts.

            Also, there is that second piece of foam which was just
            jammed in there to make it fit. A beautiful instrument,
            like the Megrez, deserves a better fitting case than this.

            Do you have any plans to improve this? If so, could you
            please make the new foam insert available through Anacortes
            Telescope & Wild Bird. This does NOT need to be a free
            upgrade. I would be happy to pay a reasonable price to
            give my Megrez a little nicer home to live in.

            - While we are on the subject of the foam and adjustment
            screws, I would like to ask about something I saw on
            the web. It was the same Megrez scope as I have, but
            the front adjustment screw for the camera rotation lock
            had a wider flatter "low profile" look.
            Will these "low profile" screws, or something similar,
            also fit the adjustment points on the bottom of the
            focuser?

            This is, after all, a portable scope, and,it seems to me
            that the low profile screws would be a lot less likely
            to catch on something and get bent during transport.

            The screws on the 1.25 and 2 inch clamp rings are fine.
            These screws do need to be longer and they are pretty
            well protected by the focuser body.

            The screws which stick out on the top of the camera
            rotator and on the bottom of the focuser, however,
            should be replaced with the "low profile" types.

            If you need more incentive please consider this . . .

            When I first saw the Megrez pictures a Anacortes, I
            passed it by because I thought those screws sticking
            WAY out like that made the scope look CHEAP like some
            kind of Tasco or Meade department store junk.

            High end scopes AP, TAK, etc. now use clamp rings
            and lower profile screws (like the Tak focus tube lock).

            If you still have the low profile screws for the Megrez,
            that I saw on the web, could you also make these available
            through Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird at a reasonable price?

            Sorry for the grumbling, if you don't change anything,
            the scope would still be a good deal, but I thought
            you might like to hear some feedback.

            Steve Brekke