Need help adjusting the focuser

  • davidfpitre
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2006
      I'm sure this has been addressed a million times, so forgive me, but
      the focuser on my 80mm FD slips and I can't seem to adjust it.
      I'm assuming the knurled black knob at the bottom of the focuser
      tightens it, but when tightened I still get slip even from the coarse
      focus knob. Any help?
      Thanks,
      David
    • Timm Bottoni
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2006
        Hi David,

        Please take a look in the Files section of this group and read the FAQs
        for my tips on adjusting the focuser, they should explain it all, I
        hope. I also have an article regarding the 2-speed focuser upgrade,
        and I included a variety of tips for adjusting it.

        The answer to your question however is no, the knurled knob should be
        loosened, since it does not adjust tension, it locks the focuser down.
        The tension adjustment, which depends slightly on the model of scope as
        to how it looks, is the small allen head screw. So loosen up the
        knurled knob, and buy or borrow a small allen head key to adjust the
        tension. It's probably a 2mm, but I higly recommend getting a whole
        set of metric allen keys attached to a fold out handle or to a ring.
        This will come in handy for a variety of uses, including most bicycles,
        and anything else that uses metric allen key screws. It also keeps you
        from losing the small ones, which I always seem to do.

        Something like these is my recommendation...

        http://tinyurl.com/km4sx
        http://tinyurl.com/forrd

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "davidfpitre" <tecolotefarm@...>