Tightening the focuser

  • Dave Sandage
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hello all,
      I've noticed that the focuser on my Megrez 80 seems to slip a bit when
      focusing with heavy eyepieces. There are some allen head screws on the
      focuser (2 on the side with the focus knob and 2 on the opposite side) which
      I assume can be used to tighten up the focuser a bit. Has anyone done this
      and can tell me which screws to tighten?

      Thanks much,
      Dave Sandage
    • Ronald Thorn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001

        Dave,

        Perhaps you've already tried this but...  On mine, and I suspect yours, there are 2 silver knurled thumb srews on the bottom of the focuser.  The front one (closest to the sky) is a clutch/lock.  The rear one adjusts tension for feel and what you describe.  Perhaps there is enough adjustment there to fix your problem.

        Best regards,

        Ron ...

        >From: "Dave Sandage"
        >Subject: [William-Optics] Tightening the focuser
        >Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:01:47 -0700
        >
        >Hello all,
        >I've noticed that the focuser on my Megrez 80 seems to slip a bit when
        >focusing with heavy eyepieces. There are some allen head screws on the
        >focuser (2 on the side with the focus knob and 2 on the opposite side) which
        >I assume can be used to tighten up the focuser a bit. Has anyone done this
        >and can tell me which screws to tighten?
        >
        >Thanks much,
        >Dave Sandage

      • Dave Sandage
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
          HI Ron,
          Thanks for the reply.  There is only one knurled knob on the bottom of the focuser - the clutch/lock.  Toward the eyepiece end from that knob, there is a small allen head screw - perhaps they replaced the knob with a screw.  I might try that one to see what it does.

          Thanks,
          Dave
          Perhaps you've already tried this but...  On mine, and I suspect yours, there are 2 silver knurled thumb srews on the bottom of the focuser.  The front one (closest to the sky) is a clutch/lock.  The rear one adjusts tension for feel and what you describe.  Perhaps there is enough adjustment there to fix your problem.

          Best regards,

          Ron ...

          >From: "Dave Sandage"
          >Subject: [William-Optics] Tightening the focuser
          >Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:01:47 -0700
          >
          >Hello all,
          >I've noticed that the focuser on my Megrez 80 seems to slip a bit when
          >focusing with heavy eyepieces. There are some allen head screws on the
          >focuser (2 on the side with the focus knob and 2 on the opposite side) which
          >I assume can be used to tighten up the focuser a bit. Has anyone done this
          >and can tell me which screws to tighten?
          >
          >Thanks much,
          >Dave Sandage

        • Dave Sandage
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
            Ron,
            I looked up pictures on the William Optics web site, and sure enough, there is a picture of the focuser with the knob as you describe it.  They have apparently replaced that knob on recent models with a recessed allen screw.  I tried adjusting it and that did the trick - it doesn't slip any more.  I wonder why the made the change...  Maybe too many people were confusing the tension adjustment with the lock knob.

            Again, thanks!
            Dave

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001

              Dave,