Re: tripod

  • James D. Rose
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
      I added some photos in an Album Jim R to further explain my setup.
      It is easier to mount the telescope and the safety bolt before
      tilting the top over, besides it fits in the bag better when the
      head is normal. It is very stable with the ZS80; probably the
      safety bolt isn't needed, but it made me feel more secure.

      Jim R

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "James D. Rose"
      <jamesd43081@...> wrote:

      > Kurt:
      > Normal 3 axis heads places the platform surface, to which the
      quick
      > detachable plate attaches, horizontal (they frequently have a
      bubble
      > level). By rotating the axis that has about 115 degrees freedom to
      > vertical allignment, this places the QD in the vertical plane with
      > the center near the tripod axis, while offset horizontally 5-6",
      > roughly the height of the head. When you move the two other
      axis's
      > one is horizontal (Az), the other is vertical rotation (Alt); the
      CG
      > of the scope remains very near the centerline of the tripod, no
      > shift. You still need a substantial tripod and head to resist the
      > horizontal offset, but it does not shift. If you like I can send
      > you a photo. A tripod and head designed for scopes is a
      delightful
      > accessory, I have a Losmandy G11 Gemini, and wouldn't trade it for
      > anything, but I didn;t want to spend $500 for a portable mount for
      > the ZS80S, and this setup is a satisfactory solution.
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Friedrich
      > <kurt_friedrich@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Can you explain better what you mean by:
      > > " with the platform turned vertical, so the weight
      > > doesn't shift with changes in altitude" ?
      > >
      > > I couldn't figure out what you mean.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Kurt F
      > >
      > > --- "James D. Rose" <jamesd43081@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Judith:
      > > > I just picked up an older Bogen 3030/a tripod which
      > > > is lightweight,

    • Timm Bottoni
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
        Thanks Jim!

        I like that setup. So what models again are these? The Bogen 410
        geared head, right? $184 at B&H

        How about the tripod? Any recommendations? Would the head work on my
        old tripod?

        I am considering something like this for a bit more stability with my
        Megrez 80, over my old photo tripod, which is sturdy enough, but
        doesn't have a smooth head on it.

        Also - one operational question. Do the knobs turn the gears
        forever, or is there a stopping point? It looks like they would keep
        going indefinately.

        Thanks,

        Timm

        <jamesd43081@...> wrote:

        > I added some photos in an Album Jim R to further explain my setup.
        > It is easier to mount the telescope and the safety bolt before
        > tilting the top over, besides it fits in the bag better when the
        > head is normal. It is very stable with the ZS80; probably the
        > safety bolt isn't needed, but it made me feel more secure.
        >
        > Jim R
        >

        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "James D. Rose"
        > <jamesd43081@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Kurt:
        > > Normal 3 axis heads places the platform surface, to which the
        > quick
        > > detachable plate attaches, horizontal (they frequently have a
        > bubble
        > > level). By rotating the axis that has about 115 degrees freedom
        > > vertical allignment, this places the QD in the vertical plane
        with
        > > the center near the tripod axis, while offset horizontally 5-6",
        > > roughly the height of the head. When you move the two other
        > axis's
        > > one is horizontal (Az), the other is vertical rotation (Alt); the
        > CG
        > > of the scope remains very near the centerline of the tripod, no
        > > shift. You still need a substantial tripod and head to resist
        the
        > > horizontal offset, but it does not shift. If you like I can send
        > > you a photo. A tripod and head designed for scopes is a
        > delightful
        > > accessory, I have a Losmandy G11 Gemini, and wouldn't trade it
        for
        > > anything, but I didn;t want to spend $500 for a portable mount
        for
        > > the ZS80S, and this setup is a satisfactory solution.
        > >
        > > Jim
        > >

        > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Friedrich
        > > <kurt_friedrich@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Can you explain better what you mean by:
        > > > " with the platform turned vertical, so the weight
        > > > doesn't shift with changes in altitude" ?
        > > >
        > > > I couldn't figure out what you mean.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks
        > > > Kurt F

      • Timm Bottoni
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006

          I found the specs online here and answered my own question about the
          geared travel specs.

          http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?
          sectionid=10&itemid=278

          It looks like it has a very wide range of geared movement.

          Sorry - this is not a WO specific post - I hope its useful to others
          and if it gets distracting, I will moderate myself off-line with more
          questions, but I think a lot of people would benefit from knowing
          about a good tripod/head combo that could be used for photo use and
          astro use.

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks Jim!
          >
          > I like that setup. So what models again are these? The Bogen 410
          > geared head, right? $184 at B&H
          >
          > How about the tripod? Any recommendations? Would the head work on
          my
          > old tripod?
          >
          > I am considering something like this for a bit more stability with
          my
          > Megrez 80, over my old photo tripod, which is sturdy enough, but
          > doesn't have a smooth head on it.
          >
          > Also - one operational question. Do the knobs turn the gears
          > forever, or is there a stopping point? It looks like they would
          keep
          > going indefinately.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Timm
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "James D. Rose"
          > <jamesd43081@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I added some photos in an Album Jim R to further explain my
          setup.
          > > It is easier to mount the telescope and the safety bolt before
          > > tilting the top over, besides it fits in the bag better when the
          > > head is normal. It is very stable with the ZS80; probably the
          > > safety bolt isn't needed, but it made me feel more secure.
          > >
          > > Jim R
          > >

          > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "James D. Rose"
          > > <jamesd43081@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Kurt:
          > > > Normal 3 axis heads places the platform surface, to which the
          > > quick
          > > > detachable plate attaches, horizontal (they frequently have a
          > > bubble
          > > > level). By rotating the axis that has about 115 degrees freedom
          > > > vertical allignment, this places the QD in the vertical plane
          > with
          > > > the center near the tripod axis, while offset horizontally 5-
          6",
          > > > roughly the height of the head. When you move the two other
          > > axis's
          > > > one is horizontal (Az), the other is vertical rotation (Alt);
          the
          > > CG
          > > > of the scope remains very near the centerline of the tripod, no
          > > > shift. You still need a substantial tripod and head to resist
          > the
          > > > horizontal offset, but it does not shift. If you like I can
          send
          > > > you a photo. A tripod and head designed for scopes is a
          > > delightful
          > > > accessory, I have a Losmandy G11 Gemini, and wouldn't trade it
          > for
          > > > anything, but I didn;t want to spend $500 for a portable mount
          > for
          > > > the ZS80S, and this setup is a satisfactory solution.
          > > >
          > > > Jim
          > > >

          > > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Friedrich

        • James D. Rose
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
            I got my head Bogen 410 (3275) used on EBay for $99, in a search I
            found someone bought a new one for around $150. The tripod also on
            EBay. The axis on the tripod turns 360 deg., the other two 120. This
            allows turning the top 90 deg, and the other from level to vertical
            for viewing. One nice feature is a gear release to quickly move
            each axis, and the gear drive for fine tuning. Any tripod
            interference can be avoided by raising the elevator shaft. Mine was
            rather tight in the AZ axis, and if you pry the foam backed decal up
            you can reach an allen screw to easily adjust the tension. Did you
            notice my fabrication for the dovetail mount for a red dot finder?
            I was born during the depression and am still a little tight once in
            a while. My big scope is a 30# 9" Intes Mak, and with the Losmandy,
            not an inexpensive setup, but very satisfying.

            Jim R

            <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Jim!
            >
            > I like that setup. So what models again are these? The Bogen 410
            > geared head, right? $184 at B&H
            >
            > How about the tripod? Any recommendations? Would the head work on
            my
            > old tripod?
            >
            > I am considering something like this for a bit more stability with
            my
            > Megrez 80, over my old photo tripod, which is sturdy enough, but
            > doesn't have a smooth head on it.
            >
            > Also - one operational question. Do the knobs turn the gears
            > forever, or is there a stopping point? It looks like they would
            keep
            > going indefinately.

          • Kurt Friedrich
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2006
              thanks much for the clear text and pics!

              Kurt F

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Kurt Friedrich
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
                Ok, I see now. I think that is what they call
                mounting it "kitty-whombus" !!! Tell the truth, did
                you think this up, or did you get the Bogen head into
                that weird position by accident? Anyhow, thanks for
                the great tip, it really does work better in this
                position, but as you say, now my tripod is a lot more
                interested in falling over to one side than it was
                before.

                Kurt

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • James D. Rose
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2006
                  Kurt: The offset is no worse then when oriented at the zenith when
                  used normally; I got the idea after looking at a number of
                  commercial alt-az mounts, it also works for a Bogen 3047 inexpensive
                  regular head, but the advantage of the gear drive is substantial.
                  just make sure the leg spread is sufficient to give stability.

                  Jim R