Re: [William-Optics] prime focus

  • Scott Walker
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2006
      I am not sure what type of mount your camera has. I general the adapters for the telescope ends in a male T-thread. You then uses a T to camera adapter. This adapter is specific to your camera mount. They cost 15 to 20 dollars. Typically the film plain is about 48mm behind the camera mounting surface. Normally a diagonal would not be used. It would likely keep you from being able to focus. Most Barlows are designed to have the focus plain at the eyepiece to Barlow surface. If used with a camera the focus plain will be around 60 to 70mm behind this point due to adapters and the 48mm space in the camera. This should still work but the magnification factor of the Barlow will increase to perhaps x3 for a x2 Barlow. This will depend on the Barlow. The longer the Barlow the less the change. The x3 is the expected value for the Televue x2 Barlow.
      If you want to continue with a astrophotography I would recommend buying the Digital Rebel. I have seen some great results with it and its is also a good general use camera. For slide film it costs about 15 to 20 dollars for 36 shots( film plus process, does not include cost of gas to drop off and pick up film). The Rebel cost about 800 dollars or 50 rolls. If you shot a roll a week you would pay for the Rebel in a year with the money saved. Because of the almost instant feedback from the Rebel you will learn much more quickly. Also digital is much better in low light.
      Good Luck
      Scott Walker