Re: OTA Considerations

  • noomoon@noomoon.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
      Jim, I can only relate my very recent experiences regarding weights
      and observing heights.

      I've had my GT1-HD and C-11 combo for 4 days. My permanent pier is
      40" above ground level (the HD pier is 41.5") - with the C-11 in place
      and pointing up, I can sit comfortably in my chair (on wheels) and
      scoot right up to the EP - very comfortable but I'm leaning back. My
      chair is one of those which adjusts up/down over 9" and has the
      spring-under-tension back which supports when leaned on. I'm 6'1" and
      so far am only using the visual back and 2" diagonal - haven't had
      the NGF-S on yet - that may push me back and down a bit more, but
      should still be workable. I can find comfortably seated viewing to
      about 50 degrees above the horizon. From there to the horizon,
      standing is necessary.

      I have the standard GT1-HD weight (15.5 lbs) and a 10 lb AP weight.
      The 15.5 lb weight isn't really enough to balance the C-11 plus
      finder plus diag, etc, so I'm using the 10 lb AP weight with both
      hanging about 3" from the end of the weight shaft. I intend to mount
      a 90mm Takahashi on the C-11...in fact have done so. But, with 25.5
      lbs of weight at the end of the shaft and another 4 lbs of dive
      weights hanging on that, it isn't enough. I've ordered another 10 lb
      weight from AP. I think that should handle both scopes, 2" optical
      chain, EPs, camera, etc.

      Hope that helps,

      Chuck