Question before buying 105ED

  • Tom M
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2006
      I'm seriously considering moving back into the 4" APO class after
      recently selling my VX-102ED. The top contender from a
      price/mechanical standpoint seems to be the WO ZS 105ED. While I've
      considered the Tak FS102NSV I'm not certain I will be happy with the
      mechanicals.

      This is slated to be a larger grab'n go scope (90%-95% visual) to
      augment the 80FD I already have. For serious DSO work I would use my
      dob and I've never really been happy with my SCT for planetary stuff
      so whatever I choose should do a decent job there as well.

      So here's the remaining question I have for the moment... Does anybody
      have first hand experience as to what the ZS 105ED will handle as the
      upper limit before the image begins to soften? For planetary work the
      feedback I have so far is that usable power before some color starts
      to show is 150-180. I can live that as long as it's no worse then the
      80FD and the image stays sharp to the theoretical limits or a bit beyond.

      TIA, Tom
    • Jeremy Francisco
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2006
        Tom,

        For planetary viewing, I work mainly at 196x and do not see any discernible loss of resolution.  When I bump it up to 306x, I find the image to be unacceptably soft.  I use a BO/TMB 6mm with the 1.6 WO nosepiece from the binoviewer to reach 196x and the BO/TMB 6mm and a WO 2.5 barlow to reach 306x.  I have found the ZS 105 to be a great scope and have been pleased with its performance.

        Best wishes,

        Jeremy

        On Mar 15, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Tom M wrote:

[...]

                                     www.william-optics.com

        Astronomy telescope Fun Telescope

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS