Re: Which is better 105ed or 110 fluorite?

  • Tom Trusock
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
      David,

      If I were you I'd be looking for images from each telescope. I know
      there are some from the 105 over on the CN forums, and they look
      very good.

      While I use it visually, I'm told the 80mm fluorite is a very solid
      performer photographically. You might ask John Crilly (jrcrilly)
      over on the CN forums his opinion of the telescope. I know he's
      done some photographic work with it - as have many of the members of
      this forum.

      If I were planning multiple scopes for astrophotography, I'd
      probably want to ensure that my focal lengths were fairly different -
      assuming I planned on keeping both of them.

      Tom T.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, David Moorhouse <climber@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Tom
      >
      > I think what you say is right about the 105mm being a solid
      performer.
      > I don't really care about visual use as I'm only thinking about
      > mounting it alongside a larger OTA on a solid good tracking mount
      for
      > (RGBC ST-2000) photographic use.
      >
      > What I don't have is the experience to know just how perfect a OTA
      > needs to sensibly be, to be capabile of stunning images with stars
      that
      > don't show blue halo's etc.
      >
      > As a stop gap measure I'm now looking at the 80mm Zenithstar
      Fluorite
      > Doublet Limited edition, to get me into the swing of things with a
      > lower price. Then after some more advice buy a top end refractor
      at a
      > later date. Is this a good idea???
      >
      > BTW have a look at my 16" binocular visual instrument at my
      webpage,
      > you may be surprised!
      >
      > David Moorhouse
      > Auckland
      > New Zealand
      >
      > http://www.binoscope.co.nz
      >

      > Quoting Tom Trusock <tomt@...>:
      >
      > > David,
      > >
      > > I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
      > > section. I'm working on a review of the 105.
      > >
      > > If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing
      some
      > > very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
      > > FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was
      shipped for
      > > review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
      > > *anything* else on the market for visual use.
      > >
      > > Tom T.
      > >
      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
      > > <climber@>
      > > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
      > >> astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
      > > filter
      > >> wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
      > > using
      > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
      as
      > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
      > >>
      > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
      used as
      > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
      > > top
      > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
      this
      > >> aspect.
      > >>
      > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
      > >>
      > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
      > > amount
      > >> of money?
      > >>
      > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
      > > think.
      > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.
      > >>
      > >> Dave Moorhouse

      > > Astronomy telescope[1] Fun[2]
      Telescope[3]

      > > Service[6].

      t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope
      &c=3&s=49&.sig=syKMXNixDs0j1roHrGSFJw
      > > [2]
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=n
      9n2MCWvsoVzrAJqVYEODg
      > > [3]
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&
      .sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
      > > [4] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics
      subject=Unsubscribe
      > > [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/