Re: [William-Optics] Re: Which is better 105ed or 110 fluorite?

  • David Moorhouse
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
      Thanks Tom

      I think what you say is right about the 105mm being a solid performer.
      I don't really care about visual use as I'm only thinking about
      mounting it alongside a larger OTA on a solid good tracking mount for
      (RGBC ST-2000) photographic use.

      What I don't have is the experience to know just how perfect a OTA
      needs to sensibly be, to be capabile of stunning images with stars that
      don't show blue halo's etc.

      As a stop gap measure I'm now looking at the 80mm Zenithstar Fluorite
      Doublet Limited edition, to get me into the swing of things with a
      lower price. Then after some more advice buy a top end refractor at a
      later date. Is this a good idea???

      BTW have a look at my 16" binocular visual instrument at my webpage,
      you may be surprised!

      David Moorhouse
      Auckland
      New Zealand

      http://www.binoscope.co.nz

      Quoting Tom Trusock <tomt@...>:

      > David,
      >
      > I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
      > section. I'm working on a review of the 105.
      >
      > If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
      > very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
      > FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
      > review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
      > *anything* else on the market for visual use.
      >
      > Tom T.
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
      > <climber@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
      >> astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
      > filter
      >> wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
      > using
      >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
      >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
      >>
      >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as
      >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
      > top
      >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
      >> aspect.
      >>
      >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
      >>
      >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
      > amount
      >> of money?
      >>
      >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
      > think.
      >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.
      >>
      >> Dave Moorhouse

      > Astronomy telescope[1] Fun[2] Telescope[3]

      > Service[6].

      > [3]
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
      > [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Barry Carter
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
        Well, the 105mm has VG color correction. I have not seen any star
        halos on this telescope using a DSLR for imaging. The 105mm has the
        ability to show smaller stars, probe deeper, and show more detail
        because of the larger aperture; photographically or visually.

        http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

        Ciao...Barry

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > using
        > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
        as
        > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
        > >>
        > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
        used as
        > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
        > > top
        > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
        this
        > >> aspect.
        > >>
        > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
        > >>
        > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
        > > amount
        > >> of money?
        > >>
        > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
        > > think.
        > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

      • Tom Trusock
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
          David,

          If I were you I'd be looking for images from each telescope. I know
          there are some from the 105 over on the CN forums, and they look
          very good.

          While I use it visually, I'm told the 80mm fluorite is a very solid
          performer photographically. You might ask John Crilly (jrcrilly)
          over on the CN forums his opinion of the telescope. I know he's
          done some photographic work with it - as have many of the members of
          this forum.

          If I were planning multiple scopes for astrophotography, I'd
          probably want to ensure that my focal lengths were fairly different -
          assuming I planned on keeping both of them.

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > using
          > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
          as
          > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
          > >>
          > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
          used as
          > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
          > > top
          > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
          this
          > >> aspect.
          > >>
          > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
          > >>
          > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
          > > amount
          > >> of money?
          > >>
          > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
          > > think.
          > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

          Telescope[3]

          > > Service[6].

          t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope
          &c=3&s=49&.sig=syKMXNixDs0j1roHrGSFJw
          > > [2]
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=n
          9n2MCWvsoVzrAJqVYEODg
          > > [3]
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&
          .sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
          > > [4] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics
          subject=Unsubscribe

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006