Re: Which is better 105ed or 110 fluorite?

  • Tom Trusock
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
      David,

      I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
      section. I'm working on a review of the 105.

      If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
      very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
      FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
      review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
      *anything* else on the market for visual use.

      Tom T.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse" <climber@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
      > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
      > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
      > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
      > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
      >
      > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
      > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
      > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
      > aspect.
      >
      > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
      >
      > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
      > of money?
      >
      > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
      > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
      >
      > Dave Moorhouse

    • Scott Walker
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
        Look at the chromatic aberration graph from the ZS 105 (given under specification on website). It shows a fair amount of spherical aberration in the lens. This is not surprising given it f/7 and large 105 aperture, and price of the scope. I would expect the FLT 110 to have a tighter chromatic aberration graph more like that shown for the Megrez 80 super APO. TEC may be also be using one aspheric surface to reduce higher order spherical aberration. Also the FLT may be using a better glass, fluorite or FPL53, compared to the ZS105 that may be using FPL51 to reduce cost.This is a guess on my part. Maybe WO or Tom Trusock could comment on the glasses used? Anyway it looks like the ZS 105 is a solid performer where as the FLT110 is more state of the art.

        Scott Walker

        wrote:

        > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
        > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
        > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
        > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
        > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
        >
        > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
        > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
        > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
        > aspect.
        >
        > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
        >
        > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
        > of money?
        >
        > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
        > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
        >
        > Dave Moorhouse

      • David Moorhouse
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
          Thanks Tom

          I think what you say is right about the 105mm being a solid performer.
          I don't really care about visual use as I'm only thinking about
          mounting it alongside a larger OTA on a solid good tracking mount for
          (RGBC ST-2000) photographic use.

          What I don't have is the experience to know just how perfect a OTA
          needs to sensibly be, to be capabile of stunning images with stars that
          don't show blue halo's etc.

          As a stop gap measure I'm now looking at the 80mm Zenithstar Fluorite
          Doublet Limited edition, to get me into the swing of things with a
          lower price. Then after some more advice buy a top end refractor at a
          later date. Is this a good idea???

          BTW have a look at my 16" binocular visual instrument at my webpage,
          you may be surprised!

          David Moorhouse
          Auckland
          New Zealand

          http://www.binoscope.co.nz

          Quoting Tom Trusock <tomt@...>:

          > David,
          >
          > I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
          > section. I'm working on a review of the 105.
          >
          > If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
          > very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
          > FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
          > review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
          > *anything* else on the market for visual use.
          >
          > Tom T.
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
          > <climber@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
          >> astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
          > filter
          >> wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
          > using
          >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
          >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
          >>
          >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as
          >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
          > top
          >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
          >> aspect.
          >>
          >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
          >>
          >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
          > amount
          >> of money?
          >>
          >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
          > think.
          >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.
          >>
          >> Dave Moorhouse

          > Astronomy telescope[1] Fun[2] Telescope[3]

          > Service[6].

          > [3]
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
          > [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Barry Carter
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
            Well, the 105mm has VG color correction. I have not seen any star
            halos on this telescope using a DSLR for imaging. The 105mm has the
            ability to show smaller stars, probe deeper, and show more detail
            because of the larger aperture; photographically or visually.

            http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

            Ciao...Barry

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > using
            > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
            as
            > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
            > >>
            > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
            used as
            > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
            > > top
            > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
            this
            > >> aspect.
            > >>
            > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
            > >>
            > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
            > > amount
            > >> of money?
            > >>
            > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
            > > think.
            > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

          • Tom Trusock
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
              David,

              If I were you I'd be looking for images from each telescope. I know
              there are some from the 105 over on the CN forums, and they look
              very good.

              While I use it visually, I'm told the 80mm fluorite is a very solid
              performer photographically. You might ask John Crilly (jrcrilly)
              over on the CN forums his opinion of the telescope. I know he's
              done some photographic work with it - as have many of the members of
              this forum.

              If I were planning multiple scopes for astrophotography, I'd
              probably want to ensure that my focal lengths were fairly different -
              assuming I planned on keeping both of them.

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > using
              > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
              as
              > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
              > >>
              > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
              used as
              > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
              > > top
              > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
              this
              > >> aspect.
              > >>
              > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
              > >>
              > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
              > > amount
              > >> of money?
              > >>
              > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
              > > think.
              > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

              Telescope[3]

              > > Service[6].

              t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope
              &c=3&s=49&.sig=syKMXNixDs0j1roHrGSFJw
              > > [2]
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=n
              9n2MCWvsoVzrAJqVYEODg
              > > [3]
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&
              .sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
              > > [4] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics
              subject=Unsubscribe

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006