Re: [William-Optics] Which is better 105ed or 110 fluorite?

  • chris provost
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8 7:42 AM
      Hi David,

      I have not had the pleasure of using the 110, but I do
      have the 105. Here are 2 photos I have taken through
      the scope both are F/7 exposures on E-200 slide film.
      http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/IC%20434.html
      http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/NGC%202237.html
      Minimum processing was done to these shots (don't have
      the processing skills). I would be willing to bet the
      110 has a slightly flatter field, but it would be only
      an assumption on my part. If money is no object, I
      would get the 110, but the 105 is no slouch by any
      means. is the 110 worth 2X the price maybe, but to me
      I think I made the right purchase.

      Chris

      --- David Moorhouse <climber@...> wrote:

      > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for
      > use ONLY in
      > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with
      > a ten way filter
      > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was
      > thinking of using
      > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times
      > that bit lower as
      > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false
      > colour imaging.
      >
      > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It
      > will be used as a
      > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second
      > telescope. I have two top
      > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really
      > care about this
      > aspect.
      >
      > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the
      > price.
      >
      > Am I going to actually see any improvement by
      > spending twice the amount
      > of money?
      >
      > Anyone who has played with both I really want to
      > hear what you think.
      > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
      >
      > Dave Moorhouse

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • williamopticsmarketing
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8 10:16 PM
        One of the reasons for the price differential is the premium price
        for the TEC lens (not only designed, also made...).

        The ZS105 is a great triplet APO scope in itself and is in stock
        ready for delivery. If you want larger, more expensive, do not mind
        some waiting time, need faster f-ratio, larger focuser, then consider
        the FLT110.

        Personally if it was my money, I would opt for the ZS105 Package,
        also because it makes a great visual scope, binoviewer friendly and
        comes in value package and has standard 1:10 microfocuser -but
        that's MY money!- will not tell you what to do with yours! ;) ...

        With either one, you won't be disappointed!

        Daniel

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "John O'Neill" <John@...>
        wrote:

        > David:
        > The 110 Florostar is a better scope in many ways. First- in that
        the
        > lens is designed by TEC of Golden CO known for producing objectives
        of
        > the highest quality. Second- it is faster (F6.5) with a slightly
        wider
        > field of view (715mm). Third- the objective is larger. Forth- the
        proof
        > is in the pudding See:
        >
        > http://www.oneilladvertising.com/Resources/hobby2.html
        >
        > John O'Neill
        > Seminole, FL
        >
        > On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:58 PM, David Moorhouse wrote:
        >
        > > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
        > > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
        filter
        > > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
        using
        > > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
        as
        > > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
        > >
        > > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used
        as a
        > > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
        top
        > > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
        > > aspect.
        > >
        > > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
        > >
        > > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
        > > amount
        > > of money?
        > >
        > > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
        think.
        > > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
        > >
        > > Dave Moorhouse

        > > Astronomy telescope
        > > Fun
        > > Telescope
        > >
        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >
        > > ?? ?Visit your group "William-Optics" on the web.
        > > ?
        > > ?? ?To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > > ?
        > > ?? ?Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        Yahoo! Terms of
        > > Service.
        > >

        > John O'Neill
        > Seminole, FL
        > 727-637-5945

      • Brian Schilt
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8 11:14 PM
          Hi David.

          When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
          binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
          corrector lens? Thanks!

          Brian S.
        • williamopticsmarketing
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9 12:33 AM
            I meant WO Binoviewers of course... but I believe no prob. with the
            Denk. either. Anyone tried?

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schilt" <brianschilt@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi David.
            >
            > When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
            > binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
            > corrector lens? Thanks!
            >
            > Brian S.

          • Tom Trusock
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9 5:55 AM
              David,

              I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
              section. I'm working on a review of the 105.

              If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
              very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
              FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
              review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
              *anything* else on the market for visual use.

              Tom T.

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse" <climber@...>
              wrote:

              > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
              > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
              > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
              > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
              > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
              >
              > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
              > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
              > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
              > aspect.
              >
              > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
              >
              > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
              > of money?
              >
              > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
              > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
              >
              > Dave Moorhouse

            • Scott Walker
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9 8:59 AM
                Look at the chromatic aberration graph from the ZS 105 (given under specification on website). It shows a fair amount of spherical aberration in the lens. This is not surprising given it f/7 and large 105 aperture, and price of the scope. I would expect the FLT 110 to have a tighter chromatic aberration graph more like that shown for the Megrez 80 super APO. TEC may be also be using one aspheric surface to reduce higher order spherical aberration. Also the FLT may be using a better glass, fluorite or FPL53, compared to the ZS105 that may be using FPL51 to reduce cost.This is a guess on my part. Maybe WO or Tom Trusock could comment on the glasses used? Anyway it looks like the ZS 105 is a solid performer where as the FLT110 is more state of the art.

                Scott Walker

                wrote:

                > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
                > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
                > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                >
                > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
                > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
                > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                > aspect.
                >
                > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                >
                > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
                > of money?
                >
                > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
                > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                >
                > Dave Moorhouse

              • David Moorhouse
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9 4:30 PM
                  Thanks Tom

                  I think what you say is right about the 105mm being a solid performer.
                  I don't really care about visual use as I'm only thinking about
                  mounting it alongside a larger OTA on a solid good tracking mount for
                  (RGBC ST-2000) photographic use.

                  What I don't have is the experience to know just how perfect a OTA
                  needs to sensibly be, to be capabile of stunning images with stars that
                  don't show blue halo's etc.

                  As a stop gap measure I'm now looking at the 80mm Zenithstar Fluorite
                  Doublet Limited edition, to get me into the swing of things with a
                  lower price. Then after some more advice buy a top end refractor at a
                  later date. Is this a good idea???

                  BTW have a look at my 16" binocular visual instrument at my webpage,
                  you may be surprised!

                  David Moorhouse
                  Auckland
                  New Zealand

                  http://www.binoscope.co.nz

                  Quoting Tom Trusock <tomt@...>:

                  > David,
                  >
                  > I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
                  > section. I'm working on a review of the 105.
                  >
                  > If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
                  > very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
                  > FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
                  > review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
                  > *anything* else on the market for visual use.
                  >
                  > Tom T.
                  >
                  > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
                  > <climber@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                  >> astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
                  > filter
                  >> wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
                  > using
                  >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                  >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                  >>
                  >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as
                  >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                  > top
                  >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                  >> aspect.
                  >>
                  >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                  >>
                  >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                  > amount
                  >> of money?
                  >>
                  >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                  > think.
                  >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                  >>
                  >> Dave Moorhouse

                  > Astronomy telescope[1] Fun[2] Telescope[3]

                  > Service[6].

                  > [3]
                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                  > [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Barry Carter
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 9 6:12 PM
                    Well, the 105mm has VG color correction. I have not seen any star
                    halos on this telescope using a DSLR for imaging. The 105mm has the
                    ability to show smaller stars, probe deeper, and show more detail
                    because of the larger aperture; photographically or visually.

                    http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

                    Ciao...Barry

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > using
                    > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                    as
                    > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                    > >>
                    > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                    used as
                    > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                    > > top
                    > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                    this
                    > >> aspect.
                    > >>
                    > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                    > >>
                    > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                    > > amount
                    > >> of money?
                    > >>
                    > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                    > > think.
                    > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                  • Tom Trusock
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 10 12:14 PM
                      David,

                      If I were you I'd be looking for images from each telescope. I know
                      there are some from the 105 over on the CN forums, and they look
                      very good.

                      While I use it visually, I'm told the 80mm fluorite is a very solid
                      performer photographically. You might ask John Crilly (jrcrilly)
                      over on the CN forums his opinion of the telescope. I know he's
                      done some photographic work with it - as have many of the members of
                      this forum.

                      If I were planning multiple scopes for astrophotography, I'd
                      probably want to ensure that my focal lengths were fairly different -
                      assuming I planned on keeping both of them.

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > using
                      > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                      as
                      > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                      > >>
                      > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                      used as
                      > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                      > > top
                      > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                      this
                      > >> aspect.
                      > >>
                      > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                      > >>
                      > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                      > > amount
                      > >> of money?
                      > >>
                      > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                      > > think.
                      > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                      Telescope[3]

                      > > Service[6].

                      t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope
                      &c=3&s=49&.sig=syKMXNixDs0j1roHrGSFJw
                      > > [2]
                      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=n
                      9n2MCWvsoVzrAJqVYEODg
                      > > [3]
                      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&
                      .sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                      > > [4] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics
                      subject=Unsubscribe

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 10 12:14 PM