Re: Which is better 105ed or 110 fluorite?

  • Barry Carter
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
      David, you seem to have an ideal imaging environment. My Mag 4,
      portable setup is ancient in comparison. Hence my results cannot be
      a basis for amy judgement on the potential of the ZS105mm triplet.
      I purchased the ZS105mm as a trade-off of price/performance for my
      situation; giving the most bang for the buck (for me). I compared
      it to the FSQ 106 and Stellarvue models selling for 2x the price.
      The new Tak 105mm Triplet was not out yet when I got my ZS105mm in
      Dec 2006. I have not used it that much, as the winter weather has
      been mild, but clear skies have been few here in SE Michigan. But I
      am sure things will get better and my images will improve.

      http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

      Ciao...Barry

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
      <climber@...> wrote:

      > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
      > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
      filter
      > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
      using
      > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
      > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
      >
      > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used
      as a
      > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
      top
      > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
      > aspect.
      >
      > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
      >
      > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
      amount
      > of money?
      >
      > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
      think.
      > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
      >
      > Dave Moorhouse

    • John O'Neill
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
        David:
        The 110 Florostar is a better scope in many ways. First- in that the
        lens is designed by TEC of Golden CO known for producing objectives of
        the highest quality. Second- it is faster (F6.5) with a slightly wider
        field of view (715mm). Third- the objective is larger. Forth- the proof
        is in the pudding See:

        http://www.oneilladvertising.com/Resources/hobby2.html

        John O'Neill
        Seminole, FL

        On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:58 PM, David Moorhouse wrote:

        > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
        > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
        > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
        > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
        > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
        >
        > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
        > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
        > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
        > aspect.
        >
        > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
        >
        > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
        > amount
        > of money?
        >
        > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
        > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
        >
        > Dave Moorhouse

        > Astronomy telescope
        > Fun
        > Telescope
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "William-Optics" on the web.

        > Service.

        John O'Neill
        Seminole, FL
        727-637-5945
      • chris provost
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
          Hi David,

          I have not had the pleasure of using the 110, but I do
          have the 105. Here are 2 photos I have taken through
          the scope both are F/7 exposures on E-200 slide film.
          http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/IC%20434.html
          http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/NGC%202237.html
          Minimum processing was done to these shots (don't have
          the processing skills). I would be willing to bet the
          110 has a slightly flatter field, but it would be only
          an assumption on my part. If money is no object, I
          would get the 110, but the 105 is no slouch by any
          means. is the 110 worth 2X the price maybe, but to me
          I think I made the right purchase.

          Chris

          --- David Moorhouse <climber@...> wrote:

          > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for
          > use ONLY in
          > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with
          > a ten way filter
          > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was
          > thinking of using
          > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times
          > that bit lower as
          > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false
          > colour imaging.
          >
          > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It
          > will be used as a
          > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second
          > telescope. I have two top
          > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really
          > care about this
          > aspect.
          >
          > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the
          > price.
          >
          > Am I going to actually see any improvement by
          > spending twice the amount
          > of money?
          >
          > Anyone who has played with both I really want to
          > hear what you think.
          > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
          >
          > Dave Moorhouse

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • williamopticsmarketing
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
            One of the reasons for the price differential is the premium price
            for the TEC lens (not only designed, also made...).

            The ZS105 is a great triplet APO scope in itself and is in stock
            ready for delivery. If you want larger, more expensive, do not mind
            some waiting time, need faster f-ratio, larger focuser, then consider
            the FLT110.

            Personally if it was my money, I would opt for the ZS105 Package,
            also because it makes a great visual scope, binoviewer friendly and
            comes in value package and has standard 1:10 microfocuser -but
            that's MY money!- will not tell you what to do with yours! ;) ...

            With either one, you won't be disappointed!

            Daniel

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "John O'Neill" <John@...>
            wrote:

            > David:
            > The 110 Florostar is a better scope in many ways. First- in that
            the
            > lens is designed by TEC of Golden CO known for producing objectives
            of
            > the highest quality. Second- it is faster (F6.5) with a slightly
            wider
            > field of view (715mm). Third- the objective is larger. Forth- the
            proof
            > is in the pudding See:
            >
            > http://www.oneilladvertising.com/Resources/hobby2.html
            >
            > John O'Neill
            > Seminole, FL
            >
            > On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:58 PM, David Moorhouse wrote:
            >
            > > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
            > > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
            filter
            > > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
            using
            > > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
            as
            > > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
            > >
            > > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used
            as a
            > > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
            top
            > > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
            > > aspect.
            > >
            > > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
            > >
            > > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
            > > amount
            > > of money?
            > >
            > > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
            think.
            > > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
            > >
            > > Dave Moorhouse

            > > Astronomy telescope
            > > Fun
            > > Telescope
            > >
            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > >
            > > ?? ?Visit your group "William-Optics" on the web.
            > > ?
            > > ?? ?To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > > ?
            > > ?? ?Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            Yahoo! Terms of
            > > Service.
            > >

            > John O'Neill
            > Seminole, FL
            > 727-637-5945

          • Brian Schilt
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
              Hi David.

              When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
              binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
              corrector lens? Thanks!

              Brian S.
            • williamopticsmarketing
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                I meant WO Binoviewers of course... but I believe no prob. with the
                Denk. either. Anyone tried?

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schilt" <brianschilt@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi David.
                >
                > When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
                > binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
                > corrector lens? Thanks!
                >
                > Brian S.

              • Tom Trusock
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                  David,

                  I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
                  section. I'm working on a review of the 105.

                  If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
                  very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
                  FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
                  review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
                  *anything* else on the market for visual use.

                  Tom T.

                  wrote:

                  > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                  > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
                  > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
                  > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                  > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                  >
                  > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
                  > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
                  > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                  > aspect.
                  >
                  > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                  >
                  > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
                  > of money?
                  >
                  > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
                  > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                  >
                  > Dave Moorhouse

                • Scott Walker
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                    Look at the chromatic aberration graph from the ZS 105 (given under specification on website). It shows a fair amount of spherical aberration in the lens. This is not surprising given it f/7 and large 105 aperture, and price of the scope. I would expect the FLT 110 to have a tighter chromatic aberration graph more like that shown for the Megrez 80 super APO. TEC may be also be using one aspheric surface to reduce higher order spherical aberration. Also the FLT may be using a better glass, fluorite or FPL53, compared to the ZS105 that may be using FPL51 to reduce cost.This is a guess on my part. Maybe WO or Tom Trusock could comment on the glasses used? Anyway it looks like the ZS 105 is a solid performer where as the FLT110 is more state of the art.

                    Scott Walker

                    wrote:

                    > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                    > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
                    > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
                    > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                    > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                    >
                    > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
                    > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
                    > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                    > aspect.
                    >
                    > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                    >
                    > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
                    > of money?
                    >
                    > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
                    > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                    >
                    > Dave Moorhouse

                  • David Moorhouse
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                      Thanks Tom

                      I think what you say is right about the 105mm being a solid performer.
                      I don't really care about visual use as I'm only thinking about
                      mounting it alongside a larger OTA on a solid good tracking mount for
                      (RGBC ST-2000) photographic use.

                      What I don't have is the experience to know just how perfect a OTA
                      needs to sensibly be, to be capabile of stunning images with stars that
                      don't show blue halo's etc.

                      As a stop gap measure I'm now looking at the 80mm Zenithstar Fluorite
                      Doublet Limited edition, to get me into the swing of things with a
                      lower price. Then after some more advice buy a top end refractor at a
                      later date. Is this a good idea???

                      BTW have a look at my 16" binocular visual instrument at my webpage,
                      you may be surprised!

                      David Moorhouse
                      Auckland
                      New Zealand

                      http://www.binoscope.co.nz

                      Quoting Tom Trusock <tomt@...>:

                      > David,
                      >
                      > I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
                      > section. I'm working on a review of the 105.
                      >
                      > If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
                      > very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
                      > FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
                      > review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
                      > *anything* else on the market for visual use.
                      >
                      > Tom T.
                      >
                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
                      > <climber@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                      >> astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
                      > filter
                      >> wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
                      > using
                      >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                      >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                      >>
                      >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as
                      >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                      > top
                      >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                      >> aspect.
                      >>
                      >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                      >>
                      >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                      > amount
                      >> of money?
                      >>
                      >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                      > think.
                      >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                      >>
                      >> Dave Moorhouse

                      > Astronomy telescope[1] Fun[2] Telescope[3]

                      > Service[6].

                      > [3]
                      > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                      > [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Barry Carter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                        Well, the 105mm has VG color correction. I have not seen any star
                        halos on this telescope using a DSLR for imaging. The 105mm has the
                        ability to show smaller stars, probe deeper, and show more detail
                        because of the larger aperture; photographically or visually.

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > using
                        > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                        as
                        > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                        > >>
                        > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                        used as
                        > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                        > > top
                        > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                        this
                        > >> aspect.
                        > >>
                        > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                        > >>
                        > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                        > > amount
                        > >> of money?
                        > >>
                        > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                        > > think.
                        > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                      • Tom Trusock
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
                          David,

                          If I were you I'd be looking for images from each telescope. I know
                          there are some from the 105 over on the CN forums, and they look
                          very good.

                          While I use it visually, I'm told the 80mm fluorite is a very solid
                          performer photographically. You might ask John Crilly (jrcrilly)
                          over on the CN forums his opinion of the telescope. I know he's
                          done some photographic work with it - as have many of the members of
                          this forum.

                          If I were planning multiple scopes for astrophotography, I'd
                          probably want to ensure that my focal lengths were fairly different -
                          assuming I planned on keeping both of them.

                          Tom T.

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > using
                          > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                          as
                          > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                          > >>
                          > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                          used as
                          > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                          > > top
                          > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                          this
                          > >> aspect.
                          > >>
                          > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                          > >>
                          > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                          > > amount
                          > >> of money?
                          > >>
                          > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                          > > think.
                          > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                          Telescope[3]

                          > > Service[6].

                          t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope
                          &c=3&s=49&.sig=syKMXNixDs0j1roHrGSFJw
                          > > [2]
                          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=n
                          9n2MCWvsoVzrAJqVYEODg
                          > > [3]
                          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&
                          .sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                          > > [4] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics
                          subject=Unsubscribe

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006