Re: Which is better 105ed or 110 fluorite?

  • David Moorhouse
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
      I assume you also had the same choice to make between the two OTA's
      what made you decide on the WO 110FL over the 105ED triplet? Also at
      the price there would have been Takahashi and others any reason for
      your final choice?

      The only WO scope I have seen here in New Zealand is a MegrezII 80
      which is gerat I sort of assumed the big brother the 105mm would be as
      good.

      Also do you have a link to a few of your images or can you post some to
      me to see what sort of quality is possible?

      David Moorhouse
      climber@...
      www.binoscope.co.nz

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "JoeBusch" <jbusch@...> wrote:

      > I have the WO 110FL. I have not tried to compare it to the 105ED.
      > But I can say that the 110FL provides superb images. I use it with
      my
      > ST2K. I have not tried a focal reducer with it.

    • David Moorhouse
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
        I assume you also had the same choice to make between the two OTA's
        what made you decide on the WO 110FL over the 105ED triplet? Also at
        the price there would have been Takahashi and others any reason for
        your final choice?

        The only WO scope I have seen here in New Zealand is a MegrezII 80
        which is gerat I sort of assumed the big brother the 105mm would be as
        good.

        Also do you have a link to a few of your images or can you post some to
        me to see what sort of quality is possible?

        David Moorhouse
        climber@...
        www.binoscope.co.nz

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "JoeBusch" <jbusch@...> wrote:

        > I have the WO 110FL. I have not tried to compare it to the 105ED.
        > But I can say that the 110FL provides superb images. I use it with
        my
        > ST2K. I have not tried a focal reducer with it.

      • Barry Carter
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
          David, you seem to have an ideal imaging environment. My Mag 4,
          portable setup is ancient in comparison. Hence my results cannot be
          a basis for amy judgement on the potential of the ZS105mm triplet.
          I purchased the ZS105mm as a trade-off of price/performance for my
          situation; giving the most bang for the buck (for me). I compared
          it to the FSQ 106 and Stellarvue models selling for 2x the price.
          The new Tak 105mm Triplet was not out yet when I got my ZS105mm in
          Dec 2006. I have not used it that much, as the winter weather has
          been mild, but clear skies have been few here in SE Michigan. But I
          am sure things will get better and my images will improve.

          http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

          Ciao...Barry

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
          <climber@...> wrote:

          > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
          > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
          filter
          > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
          using
          > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
          > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
          >
          > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used
          as a
          > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
          top
          > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
          > aspect.
          >
          > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
          >
          > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
          amount
          > of money?
          >
          > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
          think.
          > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
          >
          > Dave Moorhouse

        • John O'Neill
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
            David:
            The 110 Florostar is a better scope in many ways. First- in that the
            lens is designed by TEC of Golden CO known for producing objectives of
            the highest quality. Second- it is faster (F6.5) with a slightly wider
            field of view (715mm). Third- the objective is larger. Forth- the proof
            is in the pudding See:

            http://www.oneilladvertising.com/Resources/hobby2.html

            John O'Neill
            Seminole, FL

            On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:58 PM, David Moorhouse wrote:

            > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
            > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
            > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
            > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
            > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
            >
            > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
            > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
            > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
            > aspect.
            >
            > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
            >
            > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
            > amount
            > of money?
            >
            > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
            > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
            >
            > Dave Moorhouse

            > Astronomy telescope
            > Fun
            > Telescope
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > ▪  Visit your group "William-Optics" on the web.

            > Service.

            John O'Neill
            Seminole, FL
            727-637-5945
          • chris provost
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
              Hi David,

              I have not had the pleasure of using the 110, but I do
              have the 105. Here are 2 photos I have taken through
              the scope both are F/7 exposures on E-200 slide film.
              http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/IC%20434.html
              http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/NGC%202237.html
              Minimum processing was done to these shots (don't have
              the processing skills). I would be willing to bet the
              110 has a slightly flatter field, but it would be only
              an assumption on my part. If money is no object, I
              would get the 110, but the 105 is no slouch by any
              means. is the 110 worth 2X the price maybe, but to me
              I think I made the right purchase.

              Chris

              --- David Moorhouse <climber@...> wrote:

              > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for
              > use ONLY in
              > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with
              > a ten way filter
              > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was
              > thinking of using
              > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times
              > that bit lower as
              > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false
              > colour imaging.
              >
              > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It
              > will be used as a
              > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second
              > telescope. I have two top
              > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really
              > care about this
              > aspect.
              >
              > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the
              > price.
              >
              > Am I going to actually see any improvement by
              > spending twice the amount
              > of money?
              >
              > Anyone who has played with both I really want to
              > hear what you think.
              > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
              >
              > Dave Moorhouse

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • williamopticsmarketing
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
                One of the reasons for the price differential is the premium price
                for the TEC lens (not only designed, also made...).

                The ZS105 is a great triplet APO scope in itself and is in stock
                ready for delivery. If you want larger, more expensive, do not mind
                some waiting time, need faster f-ratio, larger focuser, then consider
                the FLT110.

                Personally if it was my money, I would opt for the ZS105 Package,
                also because it makes a great visual scope, binoviewer friendly and
                comes in value package and has standard 1:10 microfocuser -but
                that's MY money!- will not tell you what to do with yours! ;) ...

                With either one, you won't be disappointed!

                Daniel

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "John O'Neill" <John@...>
                wrote:

                > David:
                > The 110 Florostar is a better scope in many ways. First- in that
                the
                > lens is designed by TEC of Golden CO known for producing objectives
                of
                > the highest quality. Second- it is faster (F6.5) with a slightly
                wider
                > field of view (715mm). Third- the objective is larger. Forth- the
                proof
                > is in the pudding See:
                >
                > http://www.oneilladvertising.com/Resources/hobby2.html
                >
                > John O'Neill
                > Seminole, FL
                >
                > On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:58 PM, David Moorhouse wrote:
                >
                > > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                > > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
                filter
                > > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
                using
                > > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                as
                > > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                > >
                > > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used
                as a
                > > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                top
                > > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                > > aspect.
                > >
                > > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                > >
                > > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                > > amount
                > > of money?
                > >
                > > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                think.
                > > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                > >
                > > Dave Moorhouse

                > > Astronomy telescope
                > > Fun
                > > Telescope
                > >
                > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                > >
                > > ?? ?Visit your group "William-Optics" on the web.
                > > ?
                > > ?? ?To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                > > ?
                > > ?? ?Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                Yahoo! Terms of
                > > Service.
                > >

                > John O'Neill
                > Seminole, FL
                > 727-637-5945

              • Brian Schilt
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
                  Hi David.

                  When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
                  binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
                  corrector lens? Thanks!

                  Brian S.
                • williamopticsmarketing
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                    I meant WO Binoviewers of course... but I believe no prob. with the
                    Denk. either. Anyone tried?

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schilt" <brianschilt@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi David.
                    >
                    > When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
                    > binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
                    > corrector lens? Thanks!
                    >
                    > Brian S.

                  • Tom Trusock
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                      David,

                      I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
                      section. I'm working on a review of the 105.

                      If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
                      very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
                      FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
                      review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
                      *anything* else on the market for visual use.

                      Tom T.

                      wrote:

                      > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                      > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
                      > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
                      > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                      > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                      >
                      > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
                      > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
                      > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                      > aspect.
                      >
                      > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                      >
                      > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
                      > of money?
                      >
                      > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
                      > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                      >
                      > Dave Moorhouse

                    • Scott Walker
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                        Look at the chromatic aberration graph from the ZS 105 (given under specification on website). It shows a fair amount of spherical aberration in the lens. This is not surprising given it f/7 and large 105 aperture, and price of the scope. I would expect the FLT 110 to have a tighter chromatic aberration graph more like that shown for the Megrez 80 super APO. TEC may be also be using one aspheric surface to reduce higher order spherical aberration. Also the FLT may be using a better glass, fluorite or FPL53, compared to the ZS105 that may be using FPL51 to reduce cost.This is a guess on my part. Maybe WO or Tom Trusock could comment on the glasses used? Anyway it looks like the ZS 105 is a solid performer where as the FLT110 is more state of the art.

                        Scott Walker

                        wrote:

                        > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                        > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
                        > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
                        > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                        > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                        >
                        > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
                        > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
                        > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                        > aspect.
                        >
                        > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                        >
                        > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
                        > of money?
                        >
                        > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
                        > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                        >
                        > Dave Moorhouse

                      • David Moorhouse
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                          Thanks Tom

                          I think what you say is right about the 105mm being a solid performer.
                          I don't really care about visual use as I'm only thinking about
                          mounting it alongside a larger OTA on a solid good tracking mount for
                          (RGBC ST-2000) photographic use.

                          What I don't have is the experience to know just how perfect a OTA
                          needs to sensibly be, to be capabile of stunning images with stars that
                          don't show blue halo's etc.

                          As a stop gap measure I'm now looking at the 80mm Zenithstar Fluorite
                          Doublet Limited edition, to get me into the swing of things with a
                          lower price. Then after some more advice buy a top end refractor at a
                          later date. Is this a good idea???

                          BTW have a look at my 16" binocular visual instrument at my webpage,
                          you may be surprised!

                          David Moorhouse
                          Auckland
                          New Zealand

                          http://www.binoscope.co.nz

                          Quoting Tom Trusock <tomt@...>:

                          > David,
                          >
                          > I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
                          > section. I'm working on a review of the 105.
                          >
                          > If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
                          > very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
                          > FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
                          > review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
                          > *anything* else on the market for visual use.
                          >
                          > Tom T.
                          >
                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
                          > <climber@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                          >> astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
                          > filter
                          >> wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
                          > using
                          >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                          >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                          >>
                          >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as
                          >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                          > top
                          >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                          >> aspect.
                          >>
                          >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                          >>
                          >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                          > amount
                          >> of money?
                          >>
                          >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                          > think.
                          >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                          >>
                          >> Dave Moorhouse

                          > Astronomy telescope[1] Fun[2] Telescope[3]

                          > Service[6].

                          > [3]
                          > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                          > [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Barry Carter
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                            Well, the 105mm has VG color correction. I have not seen any star
                            halos on this telescope using a DSLR for imaging. The 105mm has the
                            ability to show smaller stars, probe deeper, and show more detail
                            because of the larger aperture; photographically or visually.

                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > > using
                            > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                            as
                            > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                            > >>
                            > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                            used as
                            > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                            > > top
                            > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                            this
                            > >> aspect.
                            > >>
                            > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                            > >>
                            > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                            > > amount
                            > >> of money?
                            > >>
                            > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                            > > think.
                            > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                          • Tom Trusock
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
                              David,

                              If I were you I'd be looking for images from each telescope. I know
                              there are some from the 105 over on the CN forums, and they look
                              very good.

                              While I use it visually, I'm told the 80mm fluorite is a very solid
                              performer photographically. You might ask John Crilly (jrcrilly)
                              over on the CN forums his opinion of the telescope. I know he's
                              done some photographic work with it - as have many of the members of
                              this forum.

                              If I were planning multiple scopes for astrophotography, I'd
                              probably want to ensure that my focal lengths were fairly different -
                              assuming I planned on keeping both of them.

                              Tom T.

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > using
                              > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                              as
                              > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                              > >>
                              > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                              used as
                              > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                              > > top
                              > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                              this
                              > >> aspect.
                              > >>
                              > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                              > >>
                              > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                              > > amount
                              > >> of money?
                              > >>
                              > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                              > > think.
                              > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                              Telescope[3]

                              > > Service[6].

                              t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope
                              &c=3&s=49&.sig=syKMXNixDs0j1roHrGSFJw
                              > > [2]
                              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=n
                              9n2MCWvsoVzrAJqVYEODg
                              > > [3]
                              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&
                              .sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                              > > [4] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics
                              subject=Unsubscribe

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006