Re: Which is better 105ed or 110 fluorite?

  • JoeBusch
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7 8:18 PM
      I have the WO 110FL. I have not tried to compare it to the 105ED.
      But I can say that the 110FL provides superb images. I use it with my
      ST2K. I have not tried a focal reducer with it.
    • David Moorhouse
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7 8:25 PM
        I assume you also had the same choice to make between the two OTA's
        what made you decide on the WO 110FL over the 105ED triplet? Also at
        the price there would have been Takahashi and others any reason for
        your final choice?

        The only WO scope I have seen here in New Zealand is a MegrezII 80
        which is gerat I sort of assumed the big brother the 105mm would be as
        good.

        Also do you have a link to a few of your images or can you post some to
        me to see what sort of quality is possible?

        David Moorhouse
        climber@...
        www.binoscope.co.nz

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7 8:26 PM
          I assume you also had the same choice to make between the two OTA's
          what made you decide on the WO 110FL over the 105ED triplet? Also at
          the price there would have been Takahashi and others any reason for
          your final choice?

          The only WO scope I have seen here in New Zealand is a MegrezII 80
          which is gerat I sort of assumed the big brother the 105mm would be as
          good.

          Also do you have a link to a few of your images or can you post some to
          me to see what sort of quality is possible?

          David Moorhouse
          climber@...
          www.binoscope.co.nz

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "JoeBusch" <jbusch@...> wrote:

          > I have the WO 110FL. I have not tried to compare it to the 105ED.
          > But I can say that the 110FL provides superb images. I use it with
          my
          > ST2K. I have not tried a focal reducer with it.

        • Barry Carter
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7 11:05 PM
            David, you seem to have an ideal imaging environment. My Mag 4,
            portable setup is ancient in comparison. Hence my results cannot be
            a basis for amy judgement on the potential of the ZS105mm triplet.
            I purchased the ZS105mm as a trade-off of price/performance for my
            situation; giving the most bang for the buck (for me). I compared
            it to the FSQ 106 and Stellarvue models selling for 2x the price.
            The new Tak 105mm Triplet was not out yet when I got my ZS105mm in
            Dec 2006. I have not used it that much, as the winter weather has
            been mild, but clear skies have been few here in SE Michigan. But I
            am sure things will get better and my images will improve.

            http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

            Ciao...Barry

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
            <climber@...> wrote:

            > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
            > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
            filter
            > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
            using
            > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
            > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
            >
            > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used
            as a
            > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
            top
            > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
            > aspect.
            >
            > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
            >
            > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
            amount
            > of money?
            >
            > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
            think.
            > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
            >
            > Dave Moorhouse

          • John O'Neill
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8 5:00 AM
              David:
              The 110 Florostar is a better scope in many ways. First- in that the
              lens is designed by TEC of Golden CO known for producing objectives of
              the highest quality. Second- it is faster (F6.5) with a slightly wider
              field of view (715mm). Third- the objective is larger. Forth- the proof
              is in the pudding See:

              http://www.oneilladvertising.com/Resources/hobby2.html

              John O'Neill
              Seminole, FL

              On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:58 PM, David Moorhouse wrote:

              > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
              > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
              > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
              > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
              > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
              >
              > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
              > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
              > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
              > aspect.
              >
              > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
              >
              > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
              > amount
              > of money?
              >
              > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
              > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
              >
              > Dave Moorhouse

              > Astronomy telescope
              > Fun
              > Telescope
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "William-Optics" on the web.

              > Service.

              John O'Neill
              Seminole, FL
              727-637-5945
            • chris provost
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8 7:42 AM
                Hi David,

                I have not had the pleasure of using the 110, but I do
                have the 105. Here are 2 photos I have taken through
                the scope both are F/7 exposures on E-200 slide film.
                http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/IC%20434.html
                http://4ceesobservatory.astronomyspot.com/NGC%202237.html
                Minimum processing was done to these shots (don't have
                the processing skills). I would be willing to bet the
                110 has a slightly flatter field, but it would be only
                an assumption on my part. If money is no object, I
                would get the 110, but the 105 is no slouch by any
                means. is the 110 worth 2X the price maybe, but to me
                I think I made the right purchase.

                Chris

                --- David Moorhouse <climber@...> wrote:

                > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for
                > use ONLY in
                > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with
                > a ten way filter
                > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was
                > thinking of using
                > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times
                > that bit lower as
                > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false
                > colour imaging.
                >
                > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It
                > will be used as a
                > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second
                > telescope. I have two top
                > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really
                > care about this
                > aspect.
                >
                > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the
                > price.
                >
                > Am I going to actually see any improvement by
                > spending twice the amount
                > of money?
                >
                > Anyone who has played with both I really want to
                > hear what you think.
                > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                >
                > Dave Moorhouse

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • williamopticsmarketing
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 8 10:16 PM
                  One of the reasons for the price differential is the premium price
                  for the TEC lens (not only designed, also made...).

                  The ZS105 is a great triplet APO scope in itself and is in stock
                  ready for delivery. If you want larger, more expensive, do not mind
                  some waiting time, need faster f-ratio, larger focuser, then consider
                  the FLT110.

                  Personally if it was my money, I would opt for the ZS105 Package,
                  also because it makes a great visual scope, binoviewer friendly and
                  comes in value package and has standard 1:10 microfocuser -but
                  that's MY money!- will not tell you what to do with yours! ;) ...

                  With either one, you won't be disappointed!

                  Daniel

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "John O'Neill" <John@...>
                  wrote:

                  > David:
                  > The 110 Florostar is a better scope in many ways. First- in that
                  the
                  > lens is designed by TEC of Golden CO known for producing objectives
                  of
                  > the highest quality. Second- it is faster (F6.5) with a slightly
                  wider
                  > field of view (715mm). Third- the objective is larger. Forth- the
                  proof
                  > is in the pudding See:
                  >
                  > http://www.oneilladvertising.com/Resources/hobby2.html
                  >
                  > John O'Neill
                  > Seminole, FL
                  >
                  > On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:58 PM, David Moorhouse wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                  > > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
                  filter
                  > > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
                  using
                  > > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                  as
                  > > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                  > >
                  > > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used
                  as a
                  > > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                  top
                  > > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                  > > aspect.
                  > >
                  > > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                  > >
                  > > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                  > > amount
                  > > of money?
                  > >
                  > > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                  think.
                  > > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                  > >
                  > > Dave Moorhouse

                  > > Astronomy telescope
                  > > Fun
                  > > Telescope
                  > >
                  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  > >
                  > > ?? ?Visit your group "William-Optics" on the web.
                  > > ?
                  > > ?? ?To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  > > ?
                  > > ?? ?Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                  Yahoo! Terms of
                  > > Service.
                  > >

                  > John O'Neill
                  > Seminole, FL
                  > 727-637-5945

                • Brian Schilt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 8 11:14 PM
                    Hi David.

                    When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
                    binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
                    corrector lens? Thanks!

                    Brian S.
                  • williamopticsmarketing
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9 12:33 AM
                      I meant WO Binoviewers of course... but I believe no prob. with the
                      Denk. either. Anyone tried?

                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schilt" <brianschilt@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi David.
                      >
                      > When you say binoviewer friendly, is that with what brand of
                      > binoviewers? Will a Denkmeier come to focus in it with out a
                      > corrector lens? Thanks!
                      >
                      > Brian S.

                    • Tom Trusock
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9 5:55 AM
                        David,

                        I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
                        section. I'm working on a review of the 105.

                        If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
                        very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
                        FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
                        review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
                        *anything* else on the market for visual use.

                        Tom T.

                        wrote:

                        > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                        > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
                        > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
                        > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                        > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                        >
                        > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
                        > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
                        > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                        > aspect.
                        >
                        > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                        >
                        > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
                        > of money?
                        >
                        > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
                        > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                        >
                        > Dave Moorhouse

                      • Scott Walker
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9 8:59 AM
                          Look at the chromatic aberration graph from the ZS 105 (given under specification on website). It shows a fair amount of spherical aberration in the lens. This is not surprising given it f/7 and large 105 aperture, and price of the scope. I would expect the FLT 110 to have a tighter chromatic aberration graph more like that shown for the Megrez 80 super APO. TEC may be also be using one aspheric surface to reduce higher order spherical aberration. Also the FLT may be using a better glass, fluorite or FPL53, compared to the ZS105 that may be using FPL51 to reduce cost.This is a guess on my part. Maybe WO or Tom Trusock could comment on the glasses used? Anyway it looks like the ZS 105 is a solid performer where as the FLT110 is more state of the art.

                          Scott Walker

                          wrote:

                          > I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                          > astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way filter
                          > wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of using
                          > the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                          > well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                          >
                          > I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as a
                          > piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two top
                          > quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                          > aspect.
                          >
                          > Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                          >
                          > Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the amount
                          > of money?
                          >
                          > Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you think.
                          > Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                          >
                          > Dave Moorhouse

                        • David Moorhouse
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 9 4:30 PM
                            Thanks Tom

                            I think what you say is right about the 105mm being a solid performer.
                            I don't really care about visual use as I'm only thinking about
                            mounting it alongside a larger OTA on a solid good tracking mount for
                            (RGBC ST-2000) photographic use.

                            What I don't have is the experience to know just how perfect a OTA
                            needs to sensibly be, to be capabile of stunning images with stars that
                            don't show blue halo's etc.

                            As a stop gap measure I'm now looking at the 80mm Zenithstar Fluorite
                            Doublet Limited edition, to get me into the swing of things with a
                            lower price. Then after some more advice buy a top end refractor at a
                            later date. Is this a good idea???

                            BTW have a look at my 16" binocular visual instrument at my webpage,
                            you may be surprised!

                            David Moorhouse
                            Auckland
                            New Zealand

                            http://www.binoscope.co.nz

                            Quoting Tom Trusock <tomt@...>:

                            > David,
                            >
                            > I've used both. My review of the FLT in on CN in the CN reports
                            > section. I'm working on a review of the 105.
                            >
                            > If price is an object, the 105 is a nice scope, and I'm seeing some
                            > very nice images coming out of it. If price is no object - the
                            > FLT-110 takes no prisoners. Seriously - the sample I was shipped for
                            > review had absolutly supurb optics, and competes with anything -
                            > *anything* else on the market for visual use.
                            >
                            > Tom T.
                            >
                            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "David Moorhouse"
                            > <climber@...>
                            > wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I'm thinking of buying a WO ZS 105mm Triplet APO for use ONLY in
                            >> astrophotography. I want to use a SBIG ST-2000 with a ten way
                            > filter
                            >> wheel I'm thinking of the Astrodon filter set. I was thinking of
                            > using
                            >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower as
                            >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                            >>
                            >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be used as
                            >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                            > top
                            >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about this
                            >> aspect.
                            >>
                            >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                            >>
                            >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                            > amount
                            >> of money?
                            >>
                            >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                            > think.
                            >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.
                            >>
                            >> Dave Moorhouse

                            > Astronomy telescope[1] Fun[2] Telescope[3]

                            > Service[6].

                            > [3]
                            > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                            > [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Barry Carter
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 9 6:12 PM
                              Well, the 105mm has VG color correction. I have not seen any star
                              halos on this telescope using a DSLR for imaging. The 105mm has the
                              ability to show smaller stars, probe deeper, and show more detail
                              because of the larger aperture; photographically or visually.

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > using
                              > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                              as
                              > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                              > >>
                              > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                              used as
                              > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                              > > top
                              > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                              this
                              > >> aspect.
                              > >>
                              > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                              > >>
                              > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                              > > amount
                              > >> of money?
                              > >>
                              > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                              > > think.
                              > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                            • Tom Trusock
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 10 12:14 PM
                                David,

                                If I were you I'd be looking for images from each telescope. I know
                                there are some from the 105 over on the CN forums, and they look
                                very good.

                                While I use it visually, I'm told the 80mm fluorite is a very solid
                                performer photographically. You might ask John Crilly (jrcrilly)
                                over on the CN forums his opinion of the telescope. I know he's
                                done some photographic work with it - as have many of the members of
                                this forum.

                                If I were planning multiple scopes for astrophotography, I'd
                                probably want to ensure that my focal lengths were fairly different -
                                assuming I planned on keeping both of them.

                                Tom T.

                                wrote:

> [...]
                                > > using
                                > >> the 0.8x focal reducer to get the exposure times that bit lower
                                as
                                > >> well. I will definetly be doing colour and false colour imaging.
                                > >>
                                > >> I have a dome housed mount at a fairly dark sky. It will be
                                used as
                                > >> piggyback on a C-14 fork mount as a second telescope. I have two
                                > > top
                                > >> quality telescopes for visual use so don't really care about
                                this
                                > >> aspect.
                                > >>
                                > >> Then I see this 110 fluorite APO at about twice the price.
                                > >>
                                > >> Am I going to actually see any improvement by spending twice the
                                > > amount
                                > >> of money?
                                > >>
                                > >> Anyone who has played with both I really want to hear what you
                                > > think.
                                > >> Either that or links to pics taken on both.

                                Telescope[3]

                                > > Service[6].

                                t=ms&k=Astronomy+telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope
                                &c=3&s=49&.sig=syKMXNixDs0j1roHrGSFJw
                                > > [2]
                                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&.sig=n
                                9n2MCWvsoVzrAJqVYEODg
                                > > [3]
                                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                t=ms&k=Telescope&w1=Astronomy+telescope&w2=Fun&w3=Telescope&c=3&s=49&
                                .sig=rPLphHzymNbywca3_P8-5w
                                > > [4] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics
                                subject=Unsubscribe

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 10 12:14 PM