Re: Grab-n-go Mount suggestions for ZS80FD?

  • Chris Schroeder
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <thatguyinfrance@...>
      wrote:

      > I just got my beautiful 10th anniversary scope yesterday and
      > absolutely love it though i have one problem, my mount. At the time i
      > bought it i was told that my Manfrotto/Bogen camera tripod would bake
      > a great Grab-n-Go tripod. Unfortunately using it i quickly realised
      > that it wont work well for anything other than daytime viewing. The
      > tripod itself is a bit shaky, but the worst problem i guess is the
      > head which evidentally isn't designed to go anywhere beyond 30
      degrees
      > or so above the horizontal. It is also incredibly difficult to point
      > at anything as there is so much slop.
      >
      > > David

      Hi Dave, as far as using a camera tripod for telescope, it works best
      if you use a three way head and tilt the head at 90deg and attach your
      scope sides ways. This allows full alt movement and the scope balances
      better as well. But If I were you I'd get the UA MicroStar and put
      that on top of your tripod.

      Clear Skies, Chris
    • probe lin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
        I went with a cheap solution. I got Meade 114EQ-DH from Meade outlet @115. Mountingwiit ring from Orion, the configuration works fine.

        It does has its problems. For example, the OTA is a little too short for the mount. I end up mount one ring at the conjuntion of the focuser. So the OTA can not moved to adjust balance. If use 2" Diagnogal and heavy eyepiece, balance is a problem.

        But I got a mount with scope I can really "grab" with tracking and focusing @ 139X is not too difficult with help from two speed focuser.

        If I am able to sell the Meade 114 reflecter around 50, I get a working mount at $65 (with tracking!). Not too bad...

        Yusen

        wrote:

        > I just got my beautiful 10th anniversary scope yesterday and
        > absolutely love it though i have one problem, my mount. At the time i
        > bought it i was told that my Manfrotto/Bogen camera tripod would bake
        > a great Grab-n-Go tripod. Unfortunately using it i quickly realised
        > that it wont work well for anything other than daytime viewing. The
        > tripod itself is a bit shaky, but the worst problem i guess is the
        > head which evidentally isn't designed to go anywhere beyond 30
        degrees
        >  or so above the horizontal. It is also incredibly difficult to point
        > at anything as there is so much slop.
        >
        > > David

        Hi Dave, as far as using a camera tripod for telescope, it works best
        if you use a three way head and tilt the head at 90deg and attach your
        scope sides ways. This allows full alt movement and the scope balances
        better as well. But If I were you I'd get the UA MicroStar and put
        that on top of your tripod.

        Clear Skies, Chris

        Astronomy telescope Fun Telescope

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • William Roy Penney
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <thatguyinfrance@...>
          wrote:

          I have 2 manfrotto/bogan tripods which I have adapted to use on my WO
          scopes. I found the AZ3 to be pretty useless really, and so I
          designed and built my own Alt/Az mounts, which was easy enough being
          a shop teacher. These mounts simply bolt onto the Manfrotto Tripod.

          My Manfrotto head is able to be elevated almost to zenith, and I cant
          understand your comment that it coulnt "go anywhere beyond 30 degrees.

          There is a neat solution in Sky and Telescope to the problem of the
          scope becoming increasing difficult to hold steady as it points to
          zenith as well. I forget which issue it was in. Maybe you could try
          this solution and use an az3.

          However, I find the adjustable column on the manfrotto mounts allows
          very comfortable viewing -just crank up and down to suit!!, and the
          ease of use for alt/az make this setup the ultimate grab and go for
          small scopes.

          Cheers, Roy

          > I was considering getting Universal Astronomics Microstar head and
          > putting it on the Manfrotto/Bogen tripod i have now.
          > OR i was considering just getting an AZ-3 style mount.
          >
          > Both of these option are better than what i have now and within my
          > price range. Just really need some advice though.
          >
          > David

        • Hal Jandorf
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
            A good night to check out the functions os the ZenithStar 80 and the new
            Vixen Porta mount before I go to the total solar eclipse cruise late this
            month. If you own a ZS80 and looking for a great alt-az grab-n-go travel
            mount, listen up.
            I used the ZS80 mounted on a standard Vixen dovetail plate and Orion 90mm
            mounting rings. The scope was heavy with a 2" W.O. diagonal and a Meade QX
            36mm 2" eyepiece.
            The sky was clear, down to 4th magnitude overhead due to a receeding storm
            front. The rain left good clarity and transparency and great seeing in
            Thousand Oaks, CA. Temperature: 46F 4 day moon in the west.
            I bolted an Orion red dot finder and a TeleVue "Sol-Searcher" device for
            sun finding. I also use an old TeleVue 24mm widefield (1.25"), Televue 7mm
            Nagler and a Vixen 4mm Lanthanium eyepiece.\
            A looked at the Pleiades, Hyades, Orion Nebula, Double Cluster, M-37 in
            Auriga, M-41 in Canis Major, M-81 & M-82 in Ursa Major, crescent Moon,
            Beehive and Saturn. The Vixen Porta is worth the weight in gold! Light,
            stable, smooth to scan around and an absolute dream with smooth slow motion
            controls on both axes. When you use the slow motion controls, youll never
            come back to an ordinary manual push and pull alt-az mount! Now I'm totally
            spoiled! As to stablity, I pushed the ZS80 magnification up to 240X (4mm
            eyepiece and a 2X barlow) and there was no annoying shakes and minimal
            vbirations when I focus the image.

            As to ZS80 (note it's a simple achromatic refractor, NOT a ED or Fluorite or
            SD or APO. Simple ZS80)!
            I powered up to 240X. The alt-az motions easily handled the slow motion with
            minimal shake or vibration. This is a dream mount!
            The image of Saturn at 240X was astounding! Easy to observe Cassini Gap
            and well defined! Easy to see the ball shadow on the ring, crepe ring, polar
            darkening and a noticeable cloud band across Saturn's Equatorial region.
            This is a special telescope indeed! A keeper!
            --Hal

            > I have 2 manfrotto/bogan tripods which I have adapted to use on my WO
            > scopes. I found the AZ3 to be pretty useless really, and so I
            > designed and built my own Alt/Az mounts, which was easy enough being
            > a shop teacher. These mounts simply bolt onto the Manfrotto Tripod.
            >
            > My Manfrotto head is able to be elevated almost to zenith, and I cant
            > understand your comment that it coulnt "go anywhere beyond 30 degrees.
            >
            > There is a neat solution in Sky and Telescope to the problem of the
            > scope becoming increasing difficult to hold steady as it points to
            > zenith as well. I forget which issue it was in. Maybe you could try
            > this solution and use an az3.
            >
            > However, I find the adjustable column on the manfrotto mounts allows
            > very comfortable viewing -just crank up and down to suit!!, and the
            > ease of use for alt/az make this setup the ultimate grab and go for
            > small scopes.
            >

            > Cheers, Roy
            >
            > > I was considering getting Universal Astronomics Microstar head and
            >> putting it on the Manfrotto/Bogen tripod i have now.
            >> OR i was considering just getting an AZ-3 style mount.
            >>
            >> Both of these option are better than what i have now and within my
            >> price range. Just really need some advice though.
            >>
            >> David
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kevin McCarthy
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
              Dave.

              try mounting the scope pointing the wrong way. Often the heads have a +30degree and a -90degree range of movement. If you have a video head you might be able to also reverse the handle

              Kevin.