ZenithStar 105 ED APO

  • Sam Barziza
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello:
      I have a question about the ZenithStar 105 ED APO. On ATWB it shows
      this as having a 2.5" focuser.
      My question is this. Is that a pretty stable and robust focuser ? I
      plan to do mainly CCD imaging and I need a good solid focsuer that can
      support the ccd camera, no flexture. How much weight can that focuser
      support ?
      And how much travel does it have, and what the back focus for the
      ZenithStar 105 ED APO ?
      Thanks alot

      Sam
    • Barry Carter
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Sam,
        I have this telescope and shed a little light. The focuser draw tube
        ishousing is 2.5", but the drawtube is for 2"; with a 1.25" adapter
        included. There is a lot of travel with this focuser, but I have no
        idea if back-focus is relevant for prime focus imaging. I have no
        problem reaching prime focus with my Nikon D70 (body weighs ~600g) or
        D50 DSLRs. The image plane of the Nikon is about 45mm from the base
        of the Nikon mount. This telescope is solid and I have not
        encountered in flexture. I am sure there may be some, but one would
        need the appropiate gages to measure it. All things flex if given
        enough force.

        http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

        Ciao...Barry

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sam Barziza <sam@u...> wrote:

        > Hello:
        > I have a question about the ZenithStar 105 ED APO. On ATWB it
        shows
        > this as having a 2.5" focuser.
        > My question is this. Is that a pretty stable and robust focuser ? I
        > plan to do mainly CCD imaging and I need a good solid focsuer that
        can
        > support the ccd camera, no flexture. How much weight can that
        focuser
        > support ?
        > And how much travel does it have, and what the back focus for the
        > ZenithStar 105 ED APO ?
        > Thanks alot
        >
        > Sam

      • Sam Barziza
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hi Barry:
               Thanks for the link. Is there a review on this scope ?
          How can I mount this ontop of my Meade 2120 [10" SCT] which is on my Gemini G11 ?
          I am using the Losmandy dove tail plate for mounting.

          Thanks

          Sam

          Barry Carter wrote:
          Hi Sam,
          I have this telescope and shed a little light.  The focuser draw tube
          ishousing is 2.5", but the drawtube is for 2"; with a 1.25" adapter
          included.  There is a lot of travel with this focuser, but I have no
          idea if back-focus is relevant for prime focus imaging.  I have no
          problem reaching prime focus with my Nikon D70 (body weighs ~600g) or
          D50 DSLRs.  The image plane of the Nikon is about 45mm from the base
          of the Nikon mount.  This telescope is solid and I have not
          encountered in flexture.  I am sure there may be some, but one would
          need the appropiate gages to measure it.  All things flex if given
          enough force.

              http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

                                                         Ciao...Barry

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sam Barziza <sam@u...> wrote:

          > Hello:
          >     I have a question about the ZenithStar 105 ED APO. On ATWB it
          shows
          > this as having a 2.5" focuser.
          > My question is this. Is that a pretty stable and robust  focuser ? I
          > plan to do mainly CCD imaging and I need a good solid focsuer that
          can
          > support the ccd camera, no flexture. How much weight can that
          focuser
          > support ?
          > And how much travel does it have, and what the back focus for the
          > ZenithStar 105 ED APO ?
          > Thanks alot
          >
          > Sam

        • chris provost
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            The focuser is very robust. I beleive the focuser
            travel is 73mm. As to how much can it support? I
            really don't know in terms of lbs, but I can say it
            should be as if not more able to carry big cameras
            than any other brand scope. Give David a call at WO,
            he will probably be able to give you solid numbers.
            So far I love my scope and am thinking about getting a
            ZS 66mm APO as a big finder:-)

            Chris

            http://mail.yahoo.com