Re: [William-Optics] Re: Colour coding on the aberration graph

  • Scott Walker
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
      Someone has already answered the color question. I thought I would answer your question on what the graph means. The graph shows how different wavelengths focus as a function of lens radial position. The bottom of the y axis is the center of the lens. The top is the outer diameter. Restated this graph shows the spherical aberration of the lens at different colors and chromatic aberration. The eye is most sensitive to light around 550nmeter, so the graphs should be about a straight line at this wavelength in a well designed lens. The graph for the Fluorite Doublet shows the lens to be very well corrected at all but the wavelength extremes. At 435nmeters the focus point is about .125mm from the 550nmeter point. (typically the focus position is calculated at 70% of full aperture). This shift in focus will cause a blur diameter of about .02mm (.125/f-stop). So at 435nm the blur is much larger than due to diffraction(around .008mm). For visual use this is of little concern because the eye has very little sensitivity at this wavelength. One of the questions floating around has been what is the difference between an APO doublet and an APO triplet. WO address this question with the longitudinal aberration chart shown in Megrez 80 fluorite triplet. It shows the curves for a doublet and a triplet. In general the triplet can bring the focus points a the 70% of max radius, much closer together over the full visual range. Also look at the curves for the Megrez 80 II ED triplet APO. Even though it uses a lesser glass than the fluorite doublet, the color correction at the extremes is much better. The comparison between a triplet and a doublet is also shown on the WO website in the 66 ED APO section. Here spot diameters are shown. As one can see the spot diameters are much small at the wavelength extremes for the triplet. The photographic process tends to be more sensitive to the color extremes. This is why triplet are often preferred for photographic work. I hope this helps.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
        Thanks Scott,

        It does help - I will have to read it a few times over while looking
        at the charts when i am not at work, and being interupted by other
        less important topics to fully grasp it ;-)

        Do you know of any web sites that explain it?

        I have Googled a number of times on things like "longitudinal
        chromatic aberration", but never really found anything that would
        explain those charts, so perhaps there aren't any, or perhaps I am
        Googling the wrong words.

        Thanks,

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Walker" <sdwalker@c...>