Binoviewer with Megrez 80ED Triplet

  • earclean2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
      Dear Megrez users,

      I'm pretty sure that this subject has been posted before, but I have
      failed to search and gave up after using few search words.

      1) If I buy the WO binoviewer, how should I connect it to my Megrez in
      order to reach the focus? I want to know for both cases of i)without
      the corrector, ii)with the supplied corrector.

      2) What is your experience with such combo? Any problems? How would you
      compare the views to 15X70 or 20X80 binoculars?

      Thanks

      Bryan
    • Kurt Friedrich
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
        I have the ZS80 and the Megrez 80mm fluorite triplet,
        and with the WO binos, using the included barlow, I
        cannot focus with the 2" diaganol, however I can reach
        focus, with a 1/4" to spare, using a low cost
        Celestron 1 1/4" diaganol. I also have a Stellarview
        1 1/4 which won't quite come to focus, but is is a
        high quality dielectic one, and I intened to do some
        filing/cutting to get it just a tad shorter, and then
        I expect it will work too.

        Kurt

        --- earclean2000 <earclean2000@...> wrote:

        > Dear Megrez users,
        >
        > I'm pretty sure that this subject has been posted
        > before, but I have
        > failed to search and gave up after using few search
        > words.
        >
        > 1) If I buy the WO binoviewer, how should I connect
        > it to my Megrez in
        > order to reach the focus? I want to know for both
        > cases of i)without
        > the corrector, ii)with the supplied corrector.
        >
        > 2) What is your experience with such combo? Any
        > problems? How would you
        > compare the views to 15X70 or 20X80 binoculars?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bryan

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Timm Bottoni
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
          Hi Kurt,

          Is it because a 1/25" diagonal has a shorter light path, I am
          assuming it does, or is it because of some other reason? It seems to
          me that they would require more inside focus travel (am I saying that
          right?) which is why the barlow also makes them work? Also, would
          they vignette the image at some point depending on the field of view
          of the eyepieces used faster than a 2" or does that logic not apply?

          Any other advice you can give from practical experience is very
          helpful.

          I want to clarify this for my FAQs document, because the question
          about binoviewers and what they work on vs. not work on has come up a
          number of times.

          Thanks,

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Friedrich
          <kurt_friedrich@y...> wrote:

          > I have the ZS80 and the Megrez 80mm fluorite triplet,
          > and with the WO binos, using the included barlow, I
          > cannot focus with the 2" diaganol, however I can reach
          > focus, with a 1/4" to spare, using a low cost
          > Celestron 1 1/4" diaganol. I also have a Stellarview
          > 1 1/4 which won't quite come to focus, but is is a
          > high quality dielectic one, and I intened to do some
          > filing/cutting to get it just a tad shorter, and then
          > I expect it will work too.
          >
          > Kurt
          >
          > --- earclean2000 <earclean2000@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > Dear Megrez users,
          > >
          > > I'm pretty sure that this subject has been posted
          > > before, but I have
          > > failed to search and gave up after using few search
          > > words.
          > >
          > > 1) If I buy the WO binoviewer, how should I connect
          > > it to my Megrez in
          > > order to reach the focus? I want to know for both
          > > cases of i)without
          > > the corrector, ii)with the supplied corrector.
          > >
          > > 2) What is your experience with such combo? Any
          > > problems? How would you
          > > compare the views to 15X70 or 20X80 binoculars?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Bryan

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Kurt Friedrich
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
            --- Timm Bottoni <t.bottoni@...> wrote:
            > Is it because a 1/25" diagonal has a shorter light
            path,
            klf - correct.

            > It seems to me that they would require more inside
            focus travel
            klf - correct (shorter tube). Sticking the 1.6 barlow
            between the scope and the bino extends the focus
            point, helping to compensate for the bino's extra
            length inserted into the light path between the
            objective and the final eyepiece.

            > Also, would they vignette the image at some point
            depending on
            > the field of view of the eyepieces used faster than
            a 2" or
            > does that logic not apply?

            klf - I can't give you a good answer on this one. It
            makes sense that using thinner tubes (1 1/4 vsv 2")
            will give you vignetting, but since the bino is
            already a 1 1/4 device, its not clear to me if the 1
            1/4 diaganol effects this or not. When using a
            camera, I can easily tell if I am having vignetting
            effects, but using a round eyepiece, with barlows
            involved, its not so obvious to me if a visual view is
            suffering vignetting?

            maybe others can help here?

            Kurt

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • earclean2000
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
              Thanks, Kurt,
              I think I have better chance since my ED Triplet has 2 inch removable
              extender to work with. My current curiosity is that whether following
              setup will work:

              A) No extender + No corrector + 2" diagonal + binoviewer
              or
              B) No extender + No corrector + 1 1/4" diagonal + binoviewer

              If B, then I have to buy another diagonal with it.

              Thanks

              Bryan

              > I have the ZS80 and the Megrez 80mm fluorite triplet,
              > and with the WO binos, using the included barlow, I
              > cannot focus with the 2" diaganol, however I can reach
              > focus, with a 1/4" to spare, using a low cost
              > Celestron 1 1/4" diaganol. I also have a Stellarview
              > 1 1/4 which won't quite come to focus, but is is a
              > high quality dielectic one, and I intened to do some
              > filing/cutting to get it just a tad shorter, and then
              > I expect it will work too.
              >
              > Kurt
            • Dave Vosgien
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
                -Bryan....You need to remove the normally used 2" extender. I used
                my 2" WO diagonal and was able to reach focus with about 1/4" of in
                travel to spare. Using the 1.6x corrector, the binos reach focus
                with around 2" to spare. I have a pair of Canon 15x50 IS binoculars
                and the binoviewer provides a power boost to 28x with the supplied
                20mm eyepieces. I would say that the quality of the view was better
                with the binoviewer. I focused one eye using the scope focus and
                focussed the other eye using the helical focuser. I didn't have any
                problem merging the images once the eye spacing was set properly. I
                published a report some time ago in September I think...Good
                viewing...Dave Vosgien

                -- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "earclean2000"
                <earclean2000@y...> wrote:

                > Dear Megrez users,
                >
                > I'm pretty sure that this subject has been posted before, but I
                have
                > failed to search and gave up after using few search words.
                >
                > 1) If I buy the WO binoviewer, how should I connect it to my
                Megrez in
                > order to reach the focus? I want to know for both cases of i)
                without
                > the corrector, ii)with the supplied corrector.
                >
                > 2) What is your experience with such combo? Any problems? How
                would you
                > compare the views to 15X70 or 20X80 binoculars?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Bryan

              • earclean2000
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006