got my 28mm UWAN

  • Joe Heafner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2006
      I got my 28mm UWAN yesterday and of course it's raining today so I've
      not had first light with it. The dealer, Jeff Norwood at Camera
      Concepts, couldn't wait to show me the box! He said it was HUGE and
      it wasn't kidding! I also had the honor of being the recipient of the
      very first 28mm UWAN he's sold. We unboxed the eyepiece and both of
      us oood and ahhhed at it; I think I even started drooling. This
      eyepiece is GORGEOUS! It was smaller than I expected, but heavier
      than I expected too. I love the rotating eye cup mechanism. It's very
      tight yet easy to rotate. I heard a slight clicking sound when I
      turned the eyepiece upside down but that stopped after a few times.
      It's probably nothing to worry about. The overall aesthetic appeal is
      very high as we've come to expect from WO. I can't wait to test it in
      my Megrez 80 II SD. According to the NWS forecast, my first chance
      for first light will be Tuesday night.

      Jeff brought two Megrez 80 Fluorites with him (not sure if they were
      the doublets or the triplets) and both went home with new owners. One
      of the guys who got a fluorite sold the ZS80 that he bought (again
      from Jeff) in November at MASP to one of our club members. So I know
      of at least three WO scopes that found new owners yesterday. Both
      Jeff and Bill Burgess, who was also there, commented that they did
      "very well" yesterday and I believe it. I also got a Kendrick Baader
      filter for the Megrez and some Dew-Not strips. My DigiFire10 dew
      controller will come this week.

      I'm by no means an expert at evaluating eyepieces but I'll certainly
      post my 28mm first light results.

      Joe Heafner
      heafnerj(at)ctc(dot)net
      SticksAndShadows.com