ZSFD Second Light

  • bcuddihee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2006
      Had my second decent night of viewing since Christmas. It seems that
      the clouds start rolling in right around sunset. In this case the
      opposite occured and the seeing was pretty good by miswestern standards.
      I'll begin at the end by saying that this is a wonderful scope.
      Saturn by around 10:00 was a sight to behold. Cassini's division at
      46x was crisp, at 55x beautiful with ring shadow visible as well as
      banding on the ball. Popping in the barlow for 110x and the view was
      breathtaking. I decided to push it to 220x with my 5mm and barlow and
      the image was still crisp and well defined. Thats over 70x per inch of
      aperature on a night that was about a six out of ten.
      M42 also held up well at high powers with a,b,c,d stars resolving to
      perfect round balls with one faint, abiet pulsating, airy disc visible.
      I looked very hard for e and f, and even thought I saw them blinking
      in and out but I am not certain and my eyes and wishful thinking could
      have been playing tricks on my by that time.
      Wide angle views, which was the real reason I got this scope, were
      fantastic as well. My 40mm gave me a view of the entire double
      cluster..diamonds on velvet, with Saturn included in the mix. The same
      wonderful view was experienced on the Plaiedes. I even got a " Dad
      that's really cool", response from my teenage son.
      I am really amazed at how this little scope handles power. I set it up
      alongside my 127 mak, which really gives great planetary, nebula, and
      cluster views when you take your time to get your night vision accuity
      going, and the views through the ZSFD were not as bright but the light
      scatter was less and the color and contrast were better. Also the
      images stayed more consistant longer and did not faded in and out of
      focus as they did in the Mak.
      I know that everyone that bought this scope knows by now that they
      have a keeper on their hands.
      Take care all and more clear skys ahead.
      Brendan