Re: Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family

  • fccolosimo
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hi Tom,
      You mentioned it briefly as 'a whole different story' but can you
      comment on the FLT 110 as the best choice for wide field
      astrophotography? I was able to play around with an 102mm f/5 achro
      and found the wide field of view to be very exciting. The relatively
      poor color correction resulted in poor color results but the images
      shot through a green filter were great. I have decided to get a better
      scope largely for CCD work, and it seems that the Petval design
      produces nice wide views. However, I mainly want to make sure that I
      get good color correction and good resolution - small stars with
      no 'bloat' are important to me. The FLT 110, the Tak FSQ and and the
      TV NP101 are all candidates at present and somehow I have to get my
      choice down to the best one...

      Thanks!

      Frank

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Trusock" <tomt@c...> wrote:

      > Just so there's no confusion, I should make it clear that my comments
      > about the petzval design were in reference to the 66 currently
      > offered. Other petzvals (even perhaps those on tap at WO) can have
      > better color correction than nearly any other style of telescope.
      > (The NP101 is an excellent example of best of a breed apochromatic
      > petzval.) Like any other design however, they have their own benefits
      > and limitations.

    • Tom Trusock
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "fccolosimo" <fcc0@h...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Tom,
        > You mentioned it briefly as 'a whole different story' but can you
        > comment on the FLT 110 as the best choice for wide field
        > astrophotography? I was able to play around with an 102mm f/5
        achro
        > and found the wide field of view to be very exciting. The
        relatively
        > poor color correction resulted in poor color results but the
        images
        > shot through a green filter were great. I have decided to get a
        better
        > scope largely for CCD work, and it seems that the Petval design
        > produces nice wide views. However, I mainly want to make sure
        that I
        > get good color correction and good resolution - small stars with
        > no 'bloat' are important to me. The FLT 110, the Tak FSQ and and
        the
        > TV NP101 are all candidates at present and somehow I have to get
        my
        > choice down to the best one...
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Frank

        Hi Frank, I really can't comment a whole lot on the astrophotography
        side. About all I can say is that take a look at images of all
        three with your camera of choice, and then talk to the
        photographers. An astrophotographically inclined friend purchased
        the FLT I had for review - about all I can tell you is that that
        last I knew, he was very happy with it.