Re: LXD55 and ZS80 question ( mounting solution for WO scopes)

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
      Raul-

      Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it when
      I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
      version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
      came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
      rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I assume
      this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading the
      info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
      threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.

      Rick B

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
      > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
      > LXD55
      > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
      > >

      > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
      > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
      > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
      > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
      > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes and
      > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started an
      > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
      > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
      > them on Astromart:
      >
      > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=399664
      >
      > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
      > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
      > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
      > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
      > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO scope
      > (and probably endanger your warranty).
      >
      > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
      >
      > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
      > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
      > information.

    • Timm Bottoni
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
        Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.

        And thank you for requesting permission.

        Hopefully your product will help others

        Timm

        > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
        > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
        > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
        > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
        > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
        and
        > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started
        an
        > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
        > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
        > them on Astromart:
        >
        > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
        classified_id=399664

        > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
        > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
        > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
        > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
        > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
        scope
        > (and probably endanger your warranty).
        >
        > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
        >
        > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
        > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
        > information.

      • Raul
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
          Rick, thanks for your positive comments. You are right, I designed
          them initially for the 1 threaded hole/1 unthreaded hole L-brackets,
          but the new batch just coming out has the threaded hole for the stud
          centrally located and one counter bored slot on each end, which
          would allow you to use 1 1/4-20 screw (2 are included with the
          bracket) on each of the holes of the "new" L-bracket style. I do not
          know the spacing between the 2 threaded holes in the new L-bracket,
          but if it is anywhere between 1/2" to 1-1/2", it should work with
          both the 4" and 6" adapters. I will update the pictures in the ad to
          show the new design
          Raul.

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <red75tr6@y...> wrote:

          > Raul-
          >
          > Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it
          when
          > I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
          > version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
          > came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
          > rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I
          assume
          > this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading
          the
          > info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
          > threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.
          >
          > Rick B
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
          > > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to
          an
          > > LXD55
          > > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
          > > >

          > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
          and I
          > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
          own a
          > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
          there
          > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
          > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
          and
          > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
          started an
          > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
          > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
          > > them on Astromart:
          > >
          > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
          classified_id=399664

          > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
          > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
          bracket
          > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
          that
          > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
          solution
          > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
          scope
          > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
          > >
          > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
          > >
          > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
          requested
          > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
          > > information.

        • Raul
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
            Thanks to you Timm.
            Raul.
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
            <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.
            >
            > And thank you for requesting permission.
            >
            > Hopefully your product will help others
            >
            > Timm
            >

            > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
            and I
            > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
            own a
            > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
            there
            > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
            > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
            > and
            > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
            started
            > an
            > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
            > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
            > > them on Astromart:
            > >
            > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
            > classified_id=399664
            > >
            > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
            > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
            bracket
            > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
            that
            > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
            solution
            > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
            > scope
            > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
            > >
            > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
            > >
            > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
            requested
            > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
            > > information.

          • Rudi
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
              Raul,
              Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
              I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
              mount
              (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
              to me).
              And should I get the short or longer one?
              Thanks in advance.
              Rudi

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com
            • Raul
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                Hi Rudi, does the orion 80ED mounting block have more than one
                threaded hole (or one threaded and one unthreaded at least)?
                If it has more than one, I can recommend our adapter (the 6" one),
                but if it has only one, I don't think it would be safe to use our
                adapter and instead would recomend that you use tube rings and a
                dovetail (like our 8" model).
                Raul.

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Rudi <wa2nub@y...> wrote:

                > Raul,
                > Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
                > I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
                > mount
                > (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
                > to me).
                > And should I get the short or longer one?
                > Thanks in advance.
                > Rudi

                > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                > dsl.yahoo.com

              • Rudi
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Raul,
                  Nah, it has a plain block bolted to the tube with 2
                  screws approx 2" apart at the center of the tube; the
                  balance point with an eyepiece? An Orion rail would
                  mean this piece would have to be removed and lose the
                  tripod mount.
                  Rudi

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com