Re: LXD55 and ZS80 question ( mounting solution for WO scopes)

  • Raul
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
      <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:

      > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
      LXD55
      > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?

      Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
      have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
      WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
      was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
      design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes and
      the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started an
      astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
      this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
      them on Astromart:

      http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=399664

      Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
      attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
      and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
      those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
      right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO scope
      (and probably endanger your warranty).

      Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.

      PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
      permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
      information.
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
        Raul-

        Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it when
        I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
        version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
        came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
        rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I assume
        this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading the
        info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
        threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.

        Rick B

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:

        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
        > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
        > LXD55
        > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
        > >

        > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
        > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
        > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
        > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
        > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes and
        > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started an
        > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
        > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
        > them on Astromart:
        >
        > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=399664
        >
        > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
        > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
        > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
        > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
        > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO scope
        > (and probably endanger your warranty).
        >
        > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
        >
        > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
        > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
        > information.

      • Timm Bottoni
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
          Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.

          And thank you for requesting permission.

          Hopefully your product will help others

          Timm

          > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
          > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
          > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
          > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
          > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
          and
          > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started
          an
          > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
          > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
          > them on Astromart:
          >
          > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
          classified_id=399664

          > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
          > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
          > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
          > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
          > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
          scope
          > (and probably endanger your warranty).
          >
          > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
          >
          > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
          > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
          > information.

        • Raul
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
            Rick, thanks for your positive comments. You are right, I designed
            them initially for the 1 threaded hole/1 unthreaded hole L-brackets,
            but the new batch just coming out has the threaded hole for the stud
            centrally located and one counter bored slot on each end, which
            would allow you to use 1 1/4-20 screw (2 are included with the
            bracket) on each of the holes of the "new" L-bracket style. I do not
            know the spacing between the 2 threaded holes in the new L-bracket,
            but if it is anywhere between 1/2" to 1-1/2", it should work with
            both the 4" and 6" adapters. I will update the pictures in the ad to
            show the new design
            Raul.

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <red75tr6@y...> wrote:

            > Raul-
            >
            > Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it
            when
            > I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
            > version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
            > came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
            > rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I
            assume
            > this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading
            the
            > info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
            > threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.
            >
            > Rick B
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
            > > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to
            an
            > > LXD55
            > > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
            > > >

            > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
            and I
            > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
            own a
            > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
            there
            > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
            > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
            and
            > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
            started an
            > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
            > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
            > > them on Astromart:
            > >
            > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
            classified_id=399664

            > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
            > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
            bracket
            > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
            that
            > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
            solution
            > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
            scope
            > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
            > >
            > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
            > >
            > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
            requested
            > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
            > > information.

          • Raul
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
              Thanks to you Timm.
              Raul.
              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
              <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.
              >
              > And thank you for requesting permission.
              >
              > Hopefully your product will help others
              >
              > Timm
              >

              > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
              and I
              > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
              own a
              > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
              there
              > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
              > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
              > and
              > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
              started
              > an
              > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
              > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
              > > them on Astromart:
              > >
              > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
              > classified_id=399664
              > >
              > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
              > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
              bracket
              > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
              that
              > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
              solution
              > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
              > scope
              > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
              > >
              > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
              > >
              > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
              requested
              > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
              > > information.

            • Rudi
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                Raul,
                Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
                I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
                mount
                (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
                to me).
                And should I get the short or longer one?
                Thanks in advance.
                Rudi

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • Raul
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Hi Rudi, does the orion 80ED mounting block have more than one
                  threaded hole (or one threaded and one unthreaded at least)?
                  If it has more than one, I can recommend our adapter (the 6" one),
                  but if it has only one, I don't think it would be safe to use our
                  adapter and instead would recomend that you use tube rings and a
                  dovetail (like our 8" model).
                  Raul.

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Rudi <wa2nub@y...> wrote:

                  > Raul,
                  > Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
                  > I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
                  > mount
                  > (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
                  > to me).
                  > And should I get the short or longer one?
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  > Rudi

                  > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  > dsl.yahoo.com

                • Rudi
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Raul,
                    Nah, it has a plain block bolted to the tube with 2
                    screws approx 2" apart at the center of the tube; the
                    balance point with an eyepiece? An Orion rail would
                    mean this piece would have to be removed and lose the
                    tripod mount.
                    Rudi

                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    dsl.yahoo.com