Filters question

  • Dan Kahn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
      I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2" and
      attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I live
      in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
      narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
      filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got to
      ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not make a
      diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's not
      included in the manufactures/retailers info.
      thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
      Dan
    • Timm Bottoni
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
        Dan,

        I am in Bartlett, also a W. Suburb and have a Megrez II 80 SD, and
        would love to know from people of experience, the answers to the
        questions as well. I have read, and heard that the broadband ones
        don't do enough to make it worthwhile under our sort of severe light
        pollution.

        Rod Mollise has a new book coming out soon, called "The Urban
        Astronomer's Guide" that I am eagerly awaiting.
        ttp://tinyurl.com/b85v6

        Also - I have heard some say that with an 80mm scope, that any type
        of filter, like a UHC or OIII is too much for 80mm of aperture for
        visual use, but I am only quoting heresay.

        I have also heard from some that the Celestron / Baader UHC works
        well, as does the Baader Moon and Skyglow. AGAIN, I have not tried
        any of these myself, so if anyone has actually used these in
        conditions like ours (Mag 3 skies) let us know.

        Now, regarding 2" vs. 1.25", I don''t think it matters but obviously
        the 2" is more expensive, and wouldn't require removing and replacing
        when switching eyepieces.

        Thanks,

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kahn" <dankahnmusic@y...>
        wrote:

        > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2" and
        > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I
        live
        > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
        > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
        > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got to
        > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not
        make a
        > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's not
        > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
        > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
        > Dan

      • Barry Carter
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
          Well, my skies are about Mag 4 when it's clear. My experience is
          that the IDAS LPS and/or Orion Skyglow filters are excellent, either
          visually or photographically. I use the 2" version FWIW....

          http://www.barrie-tao.com/vixen80ss.html

          Ciao....Barry

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
          <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

          > Dan,
          >
          > I am in Bartlett, also a W. Suburb and have a Megrez II 80 SD, and
          > would love to know from people of experience, the answers to the
          > questions as well. I have read, and heard that the broadband ones
          > don't do enough to make it worthwhile under our sort of severe
          light
          > pollution.
          >
          > Rod Mollise has a new book coming out soon, called "The Urban
          > Astronomer's Guide" that I am eagerly awaiting.
          > ttp://tinyurl.com/b85v6
          >
          > Also - I have heard some say that with an 80mm scope, that any
          type
          > of filter, like a UHC or OIII is too much for 80mm of aperture for
          > visual use, but I am only quoting heresay.
          >
          > I have also heard from some that the Celestron / Baader UHC works
          > well, as does the Baader Moon and Skyglow. AGAIN, I have not
          tried
          > any of these myself, so if anyone has actually used these in
          > conditions like ours (Mag 3 skies) let us know.
          >
          > Now, regarding 2" vs. 1.25", I don''t think it matters but
          obviously
          > the 2" is more expensive, and wouldn't require removing and
          replacing
          > when switching eyepieces.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Timm
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kahn"
          <dankahnmusic@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2"
          and
          > > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I
          > live
          > > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
          > > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
          > > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got
          > > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not
          > make a
          > > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's
          not
          > > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
          > > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
          > > Dan

        • bchiu666
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
            Hi Dan,

            I live blocks away from Sox Park. For my ZS80FD, I highly recommend
            using the Orion Ultrablock [narrowband filter]. For visuals, you will
            get dramatic improvements in seeing objects like Orion Nebula and
            Lagoon Nebula. The filter enhances the glow of the nebula and darkens
            the sky. However, you do sacrifice seeing dim stars like the
            Trapezium.

            I also use Baeder Neodymium Moon & Skyglow filter. The enhancement of
            nebulae is not as dramatic. However, it will darken sky without
            affecting the dim stars. It is a great filter for moon and planets.

            I have yet to try an O-III filter on the 80mm.

            Using a 2in filter attached to the diagonal makes swapping eyepieces
            [especially in winter] easier.

            On that note: anyone with a 2in Orion Ultrablock filter for sale??

            Here's hoping for clear skies,

            Will

            wrote:

            > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2" and
            > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I live
            > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
            > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
            > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got to
            > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not make
            > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's not
            > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
            > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
            > Dan

          • no_names_remain99
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
              I own the WO 80mm ED f7 and a Baader UHC-S.
              It's a fantastic combination under variety of conditions. It's a shame
              that in the tests performed by Harrington it didn't get a higher rating.

              At a mag. 6.5 site with excellent seeing I was able to test this UHC-S
              on three scopes:
              Orion ED80, Stellarview 4-inch SD and a Starfire 130mm the a
              starsplitter 12.5" f6. We viewed M42, M27, the Veil amongst others.
              All five experienced observers agreed that the UHC-s performed best
              under 5-inches when compared to the Lumicon UHC and Sirius Optics
              model. We all found that in the 4-inch and 80mm the Lumicon simply cut
              off to much light, it was a draw in the 5-inch with some objects
              looking better in one or the other. In the 12.5" the Lumicon blew the
              UHC away.

              I seldom observe without the UHC when observing nebula either under
              mag 4.5 sky or mag 7 sky, it works well at both sites for revewaling
              additional features.

              Go with the 2" version, that way it goes in the diagonal, and you can
              just forget about it ans switch eyepieces. It doesn't cut light enough
              to cause star fields to loose their overall appearance so you don't
              get lost on the way to a new target.

              -Chris

              wrote:

              > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2" and
              > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I live
              > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
              > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
              > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got to
              > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not make a
              > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's not
              > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
              > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
              > Dan

            • williamopticsmarketing
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                http://www.william-optics.com/wo_shop/catalog/specials.php

                <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

                > Dan,
                >
                > I am in Bartlett, also a W. Suburb and have a Megrez II 80 SD, and
                > would love to know from people of experience, the answers to the
                > questions as well. I have read, and heard that the broadband ones
                > don't do enough to make it worthwhile under our sort of severe
                light
                > pollution.
                >
                > Rod Mollise has a new book coming out soon, called "The Urban
                > Astronomer's Guide" that I am eagerly awaiting.
                > ttp://tinyurl.com/b85v6
                >
                > Also - I have heard some say that with an 80mm scope, that any type
                > of filter, like a UHC or OIII is too much for 80mm of aperture for
                > visual use, but I am only quoting heresay.
                >
                > I have also heard from some that the Celestron / Baader UHC works
                > well, as does the Baader Moon and Skyglow. AGAIN, I have not tried
                > any of these myself, so if anyone has actually used these in
                > conditions like ours (Mag 3 skies) let us know.
                >
                > Now, regarding 2" vs. 1.25", I don''t think it matters but
                obviously
                > the 2" is more expensive, and wouldn't require removing and
                replacing
                > when switching eyepieces.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Timm
                >
                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kahn"
                <dankahnmusic@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2"
                and
                > > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I
                > live
                > > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
                > > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
                > > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got
                > > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not
                > make a
                > > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's
                not
                > > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
                > > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
                > > Dan

              • Raul
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Dan, I Live in north Phoenix where there is considerable light
                  pollution (the dimmest stars I can see naked eye are about 4th mag).
                  This is my experience with light pollution filters: I first bought a
                  Meade 908B(broadband)1.25". Only a slight improvement on the brighter
                  nebulas (Orion, Ring and Dumbbell) with my 8" reflector, no
                  improvement at all with the Megrez 80 ED. Then I got a Lumicon OIII
                  1.25". Much better results: in the 8", besides the brighter nebulas I
                  can see the Crab, Owl, Cat eye, M78 among others. with the Megrez I
                  get good views of the Ring, Dumbbell and Orion is spectacular
                  Due to lack of time, I have not tried real hard to find the dimmer
                  ones with the Megrez but I would not not be surprised if I find them
                  on a clear night. Needless to say, the broadband filter went on
                  Astromart a while ago. I have no experience with 2" filters, but I
                  agree to what other have said: they are more convenient since you can
                  leave them on the diagonal.
                  Raul Medina.

                  wrote:

                  > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2" and
                  > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I live
                  > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
                  > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
                  > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got to
                  > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not make
                  > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's not
                  > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
                  > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
                  > Dan

                • Rick Meinig
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                    I have tried a number of light pollution reduction filters and I
                    think hands down that the IDAS filter has been the best-especially
                    for photography. I also have the Celestron and Parks LPR filters
                    and found them decidedly inferior to the IDAS filter both visually
                    and photographically. The IDAS is worth the extra expense. I use the
                    2" and screw it into the 2-1-1/4 adapter or straight up at 2". The
                    Digital Astrophoto group has debated the LPR filters and the
                    consensus is for the IDAS filter.
                    Rick Meinig---

                    In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
                    <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:

                    > http://www.william-optics.com/wo_shop/catalog/specials.php
                    >

                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                    > <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dan,
                    > >
                    > > I am in Bartlett, also a W. Suburb and have a Megrez II 80 SD,
                    and
                    > > would love to know from people of experience, the answers to the
                    > > questions as well. I have read, and heard that the broadband
                    ones
                    > > don't do enough to make it worthwhile under our sort of severe
                    > light
                    > > pollution.
                    > >
                    > > Rod Mollise has a new book coming out soon, called "The Urban
                    > > Astronomer's Guide" that I am eagerly awaiting.
                    > > ttp://tinyurl.com/b85v6
                    > >
                    > > Also - I have heard some say that with an 80mm scope, that any
                    type
                    > > of filter, like a UHC or OIII is too much for 80mm of aperture
                    for
                    > > visual use, but I am only quoting heresay.
                    > >
                    > > I have also heard from some that the Celestron / Baader UHC
                    works
                    > > well, as does the Baader Moon and Skyglow. AGAIN, I have not
                    tried
                    > > any of these myself, so if anyone has actually used these in
                    > > conditions like ours (Mag 3 skies) let us know.
                    > >
                    > > Now, regarding 2" vs. 1.25", I don''t think it matters but
                    > obviously
                    > > the 2" is more expensive, and wouldn't require removing and
                    > replacing
                    > > when switching eyepieces.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Timm
                    > >
                    > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kahn"
                    > <dankahnmusic@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2"
                    > and
                    > > > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece.
                    > > live
                    > > > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
                    > > > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a
                    broadband
                    > > > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've
                    got
                    > > > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it
                    not
                    > > make a
                    > > > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's
                    > not
                    > > > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
                    > > > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
                    > > > Dan

                  • Dan Kahn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Hey Will,
                       thanks for the info. Orion has the Ultrablock on sale right now! Reg 99.00 now 79.00 I'm going to take your advise and get the 2". thanks again!

                      Clear skies to ya!

                      (got my ZSFD on the 12-28-05. Still waiting for clear skies!)
                      PS: got any good dark sky locations in the area?(chicago)

                      wrote:

                      > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2" and
                      > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I live
                      > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
                      > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
                      > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got to
                      > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not make
                      > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's not
                      > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
                      > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
                      > Dan

                      Dan Kahn-
                      Stonegrove Guitar
                      723 W. Hillgrove Ave.
                      LaGrange, Il.
                      708-588-0777

                      Yahoo! Photos

                    • Timm Bottoni
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                        If you have any dark locations that don't require a 2 hour drive, let
                        me know too! :)

                        But looking West to Zenith isn't bad for me out in Bartlett.

                        wrote:

                        > Hey Will,
                        > thanks for the info. Orion has the Ultrablock on sale right now!
                        Reg 99.00 now 79.00 I'm going to take your advise and get the 2".
                        thanks again!

                        > Clear skies to ya!
                        >
                        > (got my ZSFD on the 12-28-05. Still waiting for clear skies!)
                        > PS: got any good dark sky locations in the area?(chicago)
                        > bchiu666 <waso29@c...> wrote:
                        > Hi Dan,
                        >
                        > I live blocks away from Sox Park. For my ZS80FD, I highly
                        recommend
                        > using the Orion Ultrablock [narrowband filter]. For visuals, you
                        will
                        > get dramatic improvements in seeing objects like Orion Nebula and
                        > Lagoon Nebula. The filter enhances the glow of the nebula and
                        darkens
                        > the sky. However, you do sacrifice seeing dim stars like the
                        > Trapezium.
                        >
                        > I also use Baeder Neodymium Moon & Skyglow filter. The enhancement
                        of
                        > nebulae is not as dramatic. However, it will darken sky without
                        > affecting the dim stars. It is a great filter for moon and planets.
                        >
                        > I have yet to try an O-III filter on the 80mm.
                        >
                        > Using a 2in filter attached to the diagonal makes swapping
                        eyepieces
                        > [especially in winter] easier.
                        >
                        > On that note: anyone with a 2in Orion Ultrablock filter for sale??
                        >
                        > Here's hoping for clear skies,
                        >
                        > Will
                        >

                        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kahn"
                        <dankahnmusic@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2"
                        and
                        > > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I
                        live
                        > > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
                        > > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
                        > > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got
                        > > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not
                        make
                        > > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's
                        not
                        > > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
                        > > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
                        > > Dan

                        > Astronomy telescope William Fun Telescope

                        Service.

                        > ---------------------------------
                        >

                        > Dan Kahn-
                        > Stonegrove Guitar
                        > 723 W. Hillgrove Ave.
                        > LaGrange, Il.
                        > 708-588-0777
                        >
                        > ---------------------------------
                        > Yahoo! Photos
                        > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events,
                        holidays, whatever.

                      • bchiu666
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                          Hi Dan,

                          Thanks for the tip! I'll check out Orion's website.

                          I would like to join a club to gain access to dark skies.
                          Besides Adler Planetarium, I have enjoyed relatively dark skies at
                          Silver Springs State Park in Oswego.

                          Clear skies,

                          Will

                          wrote:

                          > Hey Will,
                          > thanks for the info. Orion has the Ultrablock on sale right
                          now! Reg 99.00 now 79.00 I'm going to take your advise and get the
                          2". thanks again!

                          > Clear skies to ya!
                          >
                          > (got my ZSFD on the 12-28-05. Still waiting for clear skies!)
                          > PS: got any good dark sky locations in the area?(chicago)
                          > bchiu666 <waso29@c...> wrote:
                          > Hi Dan,
                          >
                          > I live blocks away from Sox Park. For my ZS80FD, I highly
                          recommend
                          > using the Orion Ultrablock [narrowband filter]. For visuals, you
                          will
                          > get dramatic improvements in seeing objects like Orion Nebula and
                          > Lagoon Nebula. The filter enhances the glow of the nebula and
                          darkens
                          > the sky. However, you do sacrifice seeing dim stars like the
                          > Trapezium.
                          >
                          > I also use Baeder Neodymium Moon & Skyglow filter. The
                          enhancement of
                          > nebulae is not as dramatic. However, it will darken sky without
                          > affecting the dim stars. It is a great filter for moon and
                          planets.

                          > I have yet to try an O-III filter on the 80mm.
                          >
                          > Using a 2in filter attached to the diagonal makes swapping
                          eyepieces
                          > [especially in winter] easier.
                          >
                          > On that note: anyone with a 2in Orion Ultrablock filter for sale??
                          >
                          > Here's hoping for clear skies,
                          >
                          > Will
                          >

                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kahn"
                          <dankahnmusic@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I'm thinking of getting a narrowband filter. Should I get a 2"
                          and
                          > > attach it to the 2" diagonal or 1.25" to the (1.25")eyepiece. I
                          live
                          > > in a pretty lightpolluted area(western subs of Chicago) is a
                          > > narrowband the way to go or would I be better off w/a broadband
                          > > filter. I'm sure this is a fundimental question but hey I've got
                          > > ask. Do they work better w/lower power eyepieces or does it not
                          make
                          > > diff. Anything else I should know about useing a filter that's
                          not
                          > > included in the manufactures/retailers info.
                          > > thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
                          > > Dan

                          > Astronomy telescope William Fun Telescope

                          Service.

                          > ---------------------------------
                          >

                          > Dan Kahn-
                          > Stonegrove Guitar
                          > 723 W. Hillgrove Ave.
                          > LaGrange, Il.
                          > 708-588-0777
                          >
                          > ---------------------------------
                          > Yahoo! Photos
                          > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events,
                          holidays, whatever.

                        • bchiu666
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                            Hi Timm,

                            During winter, I like heading out to Adler Planetarium. Great place
                            to catch gas giants climb above the lake.

                            During summer, I like heading out to Silver Springs State Park in
                            Oswego. There is a nice paved parking lot with a good view of south
                            and west. The police officers are also nice.

                            I would like to join a local club to get access to better dark skies.

                            But I must admit, I like the challenge of observing from my own
                            backyard.

                            Hoping for clear skies,

                            Will